Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:20 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

is there a link to the article? their webpage doesn't say anything about it

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:25 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Here's the article I read:
http://www.macon.com/2013/03/23/2409298 ... rylink=cpy
Jerry

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:38 pm 

As a former staff member who worked with Ken Emory, he retired as either a Lieutenant or Full Colonel from the USAF and has worked with the museum in a volunteer status almost since the opening of the museum. He was an Air Force Logistics Officer. Ken has done a lot with little. He has always tried to acquire historically significant aircraft for preservation. And I know he didn't say rust; but, probably said corrosion and then had to explain what that was...

As to the RB-69.... It isn't. I was there when it arrived as a standard USN P-2. No history with the USAF.

Lance Jones

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:25 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

People who write news articles have a habit of grossly misquoting or re-interpreting for the reader. I was recently interviewed (and recorded) for a news story on the retirement of a C-130 and what I said and what ended up being written was almost unrecognizable from what I had said. I've dealt with Ken via e-mail and he seems like a stand-up guy who tries to do the right thing within the constraints of budget and space...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:34 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

John Kerr wrote:
here is the list of aircraft/missiles:

Leaving museum

The following planes are being removed from the Museum of Aviation collection:
B-52D Stratofortress
WB-57F Canberra*
RB-69A Neptune
C-60A Lodestar
C-119C Flying Boxcar
EC-121K Constellation
C-130H(YM) Credible Sport*
EC-135N Stratotanker
F-84E Thunderjet
F-86H Sabre*
F-89J Scorpion
F-94A Starfire*
F-100F Super Sabre
RF-101C Voodoo
F-101B Voodoo
F-104A Starfighter*
F-105G Thunderchief
F-4C Phantom
TH-13M Sioux*
HH-34J Choctaw
HH-43A Huskie
TG-4A Yankee Doodle
AT-11 Kansan
T-28A Trojan
T-38A Talon
T-39A Sabreliner
U-4 Aero Commander*
X-25A Gyro-copter
BAE MK53 Lightning*

Missiles being removed:
CGM-13 Mace*
GTD-21B
AGM-28B Houndog

*Already removed

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2013/03/23/2409298 ... rylink=cpy

Lets see now, The money saved on the upkeep of these aircraft will supply welfare checks for 200 people for about a week.Great trade huh?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:05 pm 

APG85 wrote:
I know the YMC-130H "Credible Sport" is being taken apart and sent off to ABDR training. A sad end for a uniquely modified Herc.

Hope that's not symptomatic of what's going to happen with the rest of the planes...

Good thing the USAF does not have any retired E/H/or H-1s sitting around that would be more cost effective/fleet representative to use as an ABDR bird than 1686.

Gary

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:41 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

APG85 wrote:
People who write news articles have a habit of grossly misquoting or re-interpreting for the reader.

So true! I once was interviewed by a newspaper reporter. When I read the interview, the reporter quoted me on things I never said. I'm in law enforcement and have been involved in many events that landed in the newspaper and/or on the TV news. Quite often what gets reported is grossly inaccurate, or is only half the story.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:45 pm 
WallyB wrote:
davidwomacks wrote:
It makes no sense to cut them up because u cant afford them let um rot where they are<rant omitted>
If the intent is to keep operating as a viable museum with public access, you can't just "let them rot".

It is a shame, it's a great museum but almost entirely a postwar collection and the only really rare item is the RB-69.

"Almost entirely a postwar collection," I guess it's okay to write off the 67+ years since the end of World War II. The aircraft of the late 40's, the 50's, 60's and 70's are among the most interesting in history and are my primary interest in aviation history. I hope that most of these aircraft can be saved.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:55 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The gubmint(Notice I didnt say "OUR" gubmint) is not so interested in our history anymore.Just hie and watch.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:46 pm 

Nathan wrote:
Well, thanks to our government. I've said it before that museums and aircraft will have little importance anymore and the article states that there is no idea what to do with the aircraft yet. Hopefully go to other museums but some might be cut up too. Im trying to keep my thoughts from becoming political but its becoming hard to do anymore. My gears are grinding...... :evil:

I love old airplanes as much as anyone, but I'm not quite sure how this becomes the 'governments' problem? I don't want a political discussion either, but lets be honest, when the screaming is about cuts, cuts, cuts, and privatizing things, then the issue here is where is the private money needed to preserve these aircraft?

In the overall scheme of things, old airplanes are way down the list in terms of what we should spend our money on in particular when there are numerous examples elsewhere.

We can't have it both ways where the stuff that is important to us is untouchable but everything else is fair game.

Again, if they are that important, then someone from the private sector needs to put their money where there mouth is.

Are there not examples of all of these birds at the USAF Museum or Air and Space Museum?

And yeah I'd love to save every last one of them, but I'm trying to keep it in perspective. How many birds on poles are rotting out there that the local VA or City took on and then let rot. If the money isn't there, what other options are there beyond private money?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:55 pm 

hang the expense wrote:
The gubmint(Notice I didnt say "OUR" gubmint) is not so interested in our history anymore.Just hie and watch.

You aren't from the US "Hang"?

Seems to me it's the same government that scrapped all those 17s and 24s etc at Kingman. it's the same one that sold off all the Pearl Harbor battleships, the Enterprise and any number of historic vessels post WW2. Was that your government? How is this any different then that? If it's important to the Museum they find a way to raise the money to preserve those airplanes. Clearly they didn't and can't.

As I said I love old airplanes and if I had the money I'd pour it into them. Whenever I win the lottery in my dreams I try and figure out how I'd spend it. First is always to give the Desert Rat guys millions so they could get that 17 in the air. Then I figure out a way to save the Tulare 17 that has been abused and neglected outside for all these years. The Volk Field and Hector Field 51s on poles always come down and get restored to stock in my dreams. The Grissom Field B17F gets done. The list goes on and on. None of them are done for me, but just to preserve and restore that history.

Sadly I haven't won the lottery though, so I don't have the money to do the job.

Seems to me we have been listening to how broke and in debt we are now for quite some time. Not having the money to preserve every last piece of history doesn't mean we've lost interest.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:48 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Because we cant go political on this PC website I will just say there is a common thread about all this stuff being scrapped.The world war 2 birds was the big start of our aviation history and only a few people had the presence of mind to save some aircraft for future generations while most did not.Saving only the birds at the airforce museum denies the rest of the country the chance to have their own local museums.Its very hard to convince people to donate money and time to a project that very well may be reclaimed,taken back or cut up on site.Wake up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:54 am 

Glad I visited when I did - December. This is such a shame. I thought the Museum of Aviation had one of the better collections I've seen. Especially cool was the complete Century Series collection!
I think of all the planes, ships, etc that are no longer around to enjoy and appreciate their contribution and significance, and it is disheartening to hear more are to be lost.
The Museum of Aviation felt like a one-stop-shop for me. I really enjoyed my visit.
And if any go to AMARG, the scrap yard is even closer. Very sad!
Tommy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:05 am 

jwc50 wrote:
WallyB wrote:
It is a shame, it's a great museum but almost entirely a postwar collection and the only really rare item is the RB-69.

"Almost entirely a postwar collection," I guess it's okay to write off the 67+ years since the end of World War II. The aircraft of the late 40's, the 50's, 60's and 70's are among the most interesting in history and are my primary interest in aviation history. I hope that most of these aircraft can be saved.
You read more into it than was intended. My point was there would be a hue and cry (rightfully so) if WWII types were scrapped/disposed of but generally postwar types don't generate the same level of passion. Not saying that's right...
Dan Johnson II wrote:
...there are numerous examples elsewhere.
True, although the Warner-Robbins' presentation is one of the better ones.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:06 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Dan Johnson II wrote:
Nathan wrote:
Well, thanks to our government. I've said it before that museums and aircraft will have little importance anymore and the article states that there is no idea what to do with the aircraft yet. Hopefully go to other museums but some might be cut up too. Im trying to keep my thoughts from becoming political but its becoming hard to do anymore. My gears are grinding...... :evil:

I love old airplanes as much as anyone, but I'm not quite sure how this becomes the 'governments' problem? I don't want a political discussion either, but lets be honest, when the screaming is about cuts, cuts, cuts, and privatizing things, then the issue here is where is the private money needed to preserve these aircraft?

In the overall scheme of things, old airplanes are way down the list in terms of what we should spend our money on in particular when there are numerous examples elsewhere.

We can't have it both ways where the stuff that is important to us is untouchable but everything else is fair game.

Again, if they are that important, then someone from the private sector needs to put their money where there mouth is.

Are there not examples of all of these birds at the USAF Museum or Air and Space Museum?

And yeah I'd love to save every last one of them, but I'm trying to keep it in perspective. How many birds on poles are rotting out there that the local VA or City took on and then let rot. If the money isn't there, what other options are there beyond private money?

Great post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next