Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:50 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Given the news, I drove to Robins yesterday; I live just over an hour away.

The was no sign of the YMC-130H. The F-105G, T-38, F-100, and H-34 were sitting out back in various stages of disassembly. The B-52 looks as if it was painted last year; very good condition to the casual observer. The F-4C is also very fresh looking. The T-38 is a time capsule, as I believe it arrived from Edwards and was brought indoors immediately from its last flight - a real gem - and a real loss for a museum housing USAF airplanes.

It's my understanding that the museum is mainly (but not only) divesting itself of multiples, ie. I saw at least 2 other F-100s indoors. I also noticed that one of the former Lackland F-105D's is now painted and indoors, despite the Georgia ANG being the last operators of the F-105G. When I get time I'll post some of the snapshots taken on my phone.

Can't say I'm pleased with this news, however I have to say that the Robins Museum easily ranks in the top 10 warbird museums IMHO. The displays, artifacts, settings, and general aircraft condition are quite impressive. This museum is as much a treat for an experienced warbird buff as it is for a school kid. I don't have the time nor the horsepower to get into their decisions, I simply hope they know what they are doing.

Ken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:59 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

hercules130 wrote:
APG85 wrote:
I know the YMC-130H "Credible Sport" is being taken apart and sent off to ABDR training. A sad end for a uniquely modified Herc.

Hope that's not symptomatic of what's going to happen with the rest of the planes...

Good thing the USAF does not have any retired E/H/or H-1s sitting around that would be more cost effective/fleet representative to use as an ABDR bird than 1686.

Gary

I've been several times and the YMC-130H always looked horrible as if it had had no attention in eons. C-130E 63-7868 has recently been added as an outdoor static. Don't get me wrong, I think the YMC should have been saved, but I can see where the Museum may have seen the slick E-model which just flew in as a better bet for an airplane which could be displayed with a minimum of fuss.

Article here: http://www.robins.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123271109

Ken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:39 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Any word on the TG-4? Of everything on the list that's the one that can least stand neglect or even less than great storage.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

They are making room...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:50 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I would be interested in buying the "X-25A" and the TG-4 if they were to put them up for sale. Might know of buyers for a couple of the other smaller aircraft.
IF they come up on a GSA auction, please let me know!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:14 pm 

mustangdriver wrote:
They are making room...

For what? Most of the airplanes they are cutting up or getting rid of are outside! Are they dragging something elese up that needs to sit outside as well? Are they making space for another building? Thats what they need if they are trying to get stuff inside.

By the way mustangdriver, what happened with the Air Force museum you were working with in Indiana? The reports from there just seem to have died. Weren't you working on a B-17?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The museum is getting rid of duplicates, aircraft that rotated indoors at times, and a few that required a good deal of work. This is not just freeing up physical room but also room in the budget. Now they can focus on a bigger project.

As for the Grissom B-17, the museum decided that there were other things more important than the B-17 restoration. I was offered a job at EAA and am there now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:37 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

mustangdriver wrote:
I was offered a job at EAA and am there now.

You're welcome! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

mustangdriver wrote:
The museum is getting rid of duplicates, aircraft that rotated indoors at times, and a few that required a good deal of work. This is not just freeing up physical room but also room in the budget. Now they can focus on a bigger project.

As for the Grissom B-17, the museum decided that there were other things more important than the B-17 restoration. I was offered a job at EAA and am there now.

Unfortunately the B-17 at Grissom is one of the WW2 planes across the country that will go to the scrapman in a few years if its not brought inside someplace soon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

mustangdriver wrote:

Chris, dont leave us in suspense. What are you doing for the EAA? I suppose your days at the NMUSAF as a volunteer are over now that you are in Oshkosh?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Pat I think we are going to see her come indoors alright. I'm by no means a big wig at EAA. I am in Membership. But it's a rewarding place to be!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

mustangdriver wrote:
Pat I think we are going to see her come indoors alright. I'm by no means a big wig at EAA. I am in Membership. But it's a rewarding place to be!

If the Museum of Aviation is serious about getting a B-17 for display indoors, then the B-17 at Grissom would make for a good candidate. Its subject to all types of weather which no doubt is taking a toll on the airframe. Then again there is the B-17 at Eglin which I understand is in bad shape. Hopefully the museum can obtain one of these B-17's without waiting for years & years of bureaucracy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If W-R wants a B-17 from NMUSAF stocks, there are plenty out there. Most won't be able to move (regardless of logic and the fact W-R would be able to move the aircraft indoors and resore it) because their at politically connected bases.

Does Offutt need one when the SAC museum just a few miles away has one? But being STRATCOM HQ, it's probably not going anywhere.
The aircraft at Barksdale is very badly stripped (but being a numbered Air Force HQ...it probably not going to move).
Dyess's aircraft is well looked after and in a benign (little humidity and no hurricanes) climate...
Lackland's is a sacred cow...though i wouldn't mind a fiberglass replacement there, it's worked for the B-24 and P-38.
Castle and march have them...again do the each need one?
The 390th at Pima is indoors...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

JohnB wrote:
If W-R wants a B-17 from NMUSAF stocks, there are plenty out there. Most won't be able to move (regardless of logic and the fact W-R would be able to move the aircraft indoors and resore it) because their at politically connected bases.

Does Offutt need one when the SAC museum just a few miles away has one? But being STRATCOM HQ, it's probably not going anywhere.
The aircraft at Barksdale is very badly stripped (but being a numbered Air Force HQ...it probably not going to move).
Dyess's aircraft is well looked after and in a benign (little humidity and no hurricanes) climate...
Lackland's is a sacred cow...though i wouldn't mind a fiberglass replacement there, it's worked for the B-24 and P-38.
The 390th at Pima is indoors...

Well said. There will be too many egos involved to make a fast decision on this matter. By the time a choice of which B-17 will be moved (if any) it will most likely be too late.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:04 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

JohnB wrote:
You could say the same for W-R and the 8th AF museum in Savanna which already has one. Yeah, I know they're not next door to each other but they are generally in the same general region, anyway.

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next