Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:56 pm 

Ken I hope to be driving in from Detroit. Looking forward to a tour of the Harpoon.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:14 pm 

You can now buy admission and parking passes online thru their
website. This is looking to be a great show. I'm glad I went to Virginia
Beach this year for the airshow, I hope it returns, if not I have the memories and photo's.
I will be taking photo's and video and a warbird ride in Topeka.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:27 pm 

Had a slight problem with ordering on line. They say that tickets are limited so order so you are sure you can get in. Veterans are free but there does not seem to be any way to print an advance veterans ticket. Sounds stupid but I would hate to drive over 600 miles to get there and have them say all the tickets are gone. It's not a big deal to pay the $12 but they could make it less confusing for us old folks.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:45 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

To my knowledge, I have been led to believe that this event in Topeka will not be a bonified "airshow" There will be a lot of warbird flying every day, and I am pretty sure that there will be some large formations flown every day. I just hope that a lot of the people are not mislead into thinking that there will be aerobatic events happening there. None the less, you'll be able to get up close and personal with the aircraft on the field, and a lot of veterans will get to ride on a variety of warbirds.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:07 pm 

Ordered and downloaded and printed my tickets and parking pass for the 3 day event. Gonna take a warbird ride. Looking real good. May even swing up to Thunder the next weekend. Been working overtime all year just for these shows. Of course the wife gets a lot shifted to her side of the budget to keep her happy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:45 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

How to kill a thread - banish it to the ghetto away from the main page! :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:00 am 

Getting camera , wallet and everything else loaded up for the show. Will be meeting friends and co-workers there. Only bad thing about the show is I have to be leaving on Sunday. A short 10 hour drive is a piece of cake for this show.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:30 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

GARY HILTON wrote:
To my knowledge, I have been led to believe that this event in Topeka will not be a bonified "airshow" There will be a lot of warbird flying every day, and I am pretty sure that there will be some large formations flown every day. I just hope that a lot of the people are not mislead into thinking that there will be aerobatic events happening there. None the less, you'll be able to get up close and personal with the aircraft on the field, and a lot of veterans will get to ride on a variety of warbirds.

The presence of "aerobatics" does not sell an airshow to me. Conversely, the absence of "aerobatics" does not discourage me from attending. An "airshow", to me, is WWII aircraft flying constantly. On the other hand, having 20-30 minute gaps in the flying will discourage me from attending again faster than anything I can think of.

Mudge the selective

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:19 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Know the feeling Mudge....A few people that I had spoken with prior, were under the assumption that this was to be something like a full blown airshow with the aerobatics and such, which I was told , was not to be the case....But...now I have heard that there will be some aerobatics flown as per a regular airshow...so I will digress, and claim as Sgt. Schultz would say...." I know nothing!" Guess I'll find out.

Anytime I hear and see an aircraft with a round piston or inline engine in the air...it's an airshow for me!

G

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:47 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Yes!!!! One of my long-time dreams has came true! Got a chance to see two Harpoons in formation! In fact was able to be in it!
Thanks to Taigh, Rick, Ken, and crew for allowing me to hold the tail down in their D model, #062! It was very cool to watch Attu Warrior from their Poon. Very memorable ride boys! Thank you again!
It was also so awesome to be on board with a WWII vet, who flew as a radio operator on the Harpoon..
Cool thang number 3.....the formation included a C-60A, and a Lodestar!
Coolio Number 4....My son was on AW while I was on 062!!! I still can't get the grin off of Mikes face!

Met a lot of good people...was very surprised and happy to meet face to face with Jason Barnett and his wife ...

G.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:47 pm 

what happened to the 3rd poon?

Static: F-4C Phantom II, F-15A, T-3 Provost

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:31 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

If interested, I have posted some Topeka pictures on the B-26K Special K restoration thread that were taken by some of our A-26 guys attending the show in our DC3. Welcome to drop by and have a look. JR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:54 am 

When I left Oshkosh Friday afternoon a Harpoon was still there. I assume it is the third one.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:45 pm 

Attu Warrior and 062 are at Topeka, Hot Stuff was and will stay in Indianapolis, things need fixing. Was a great show Fri. and Sat.. There were some no-shows, , but for a first attempt it went real well. Got a flight in Clyde Zellers SNJ-5, awesome. First ride pick was the A-26 Lady Liberty, but it didn't show. Left Sunday morning and was raining in Topeka and looked like it might ruin the show ,don't know what it panned out to be. Happened to go back to the field after dinner friday and got to see Bad Kitty come screaming in and land , WOW!!! The 3 ship para drop was cool , 24 troopers coming out and good landings. Got to visit with the great people at GGA and Southern Cross and Ken Terpstra and his Harpoon, what a restoration. I'd do it again.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:45 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Despite the rain today, it wasn't too bad. There was quite the variety of aircraft there. Looks like there will be another event next year. Had to leave Attu Warrior there until next weekend due to rain and pilot had to get home...
Watched the Stockton Harpoon launch this afternoon, she looked good on her low pass before heading back to sunny Callie.
Hope y'all have a good trip back home, and let me know when you arrive.
G

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next