Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Gathering of Warbirds & Legends - Topeka KS

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:35 am

Website for this event at Tpoeka, KS scheduled for August 1-4

http://www.warbirdsandlegends.org/

It seems they have ambitious plans for a massed flypast of up to 52 warbirds.

They also have a Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Gathe ... ts&fref=ts

Re: Gathering of Warbirds & Legends - Topeka KS

Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:37 am

The website front page is a little bit of a hot mess right now... they need someone with some aviation experience overseeing what the developers are putting out there. "Martin B-25", first flight 1949? F4-F, F8-F, etc? And the estimated airworthy numbers seem to have been pulled directly from someone's posterior.

I'll be curious to see what this develops into.

Lynn

Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:10 am

Its scheduled during Oshkosh, should be interesting to see how many planes they can really get.......

Mark H

Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:33 am

I hope that they change the dates, as Oshkosh is indeed from July 29 until the 4th of August. If I recall, the people planning this event are to have their AC-47 at Osh., so maybe the overlapping dates will be changed.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:37 am

P51Mstg wrote:Its scheduled during Oshkosh, should be interesting to see how many planes they can really get.......

Mark H

Are they paying appearance fees? If they score the Mosquito, I may head South that week instead of East...
pop2

Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:51 am

Their web site suggests that not only are they paying appearance fees, but they are rolling any profits from the show back into enhanced payments to the participants. Sort of a reverse Oshkosh!

However, it also says they estimate there are 3 Mosquitos airworthy in the US and they only have a "slot" for 1, so I guess all the Mosquito operators will have to race to sign up!

August

Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:05 am

Two flyable Lancasters in the US, really?

Bizarre allocation of slots unless this is intended to be a C-45/C-47 'fly-in'.

Oshkosh pretty much dies by the end of the week anyway and with the proposed boycott I don't think the overlap would be much of a problem.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:08 am

Estimated Flyable in USA:

Boeing B-17 - 23
Douglas SBD - 31

Wonder where they came up with those numbers?

Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:32 am

WallyB wrote:Oshkosh pretty much dies by the end of the week anyway and with the proposed boycott I don't think the overlap would be much of a problem.

Um, not true at all. Thursday thru Saturday is typically the days of largest attendance at AirVenture. Granted, Sunday is usually slim pickins...

I'd sure like to know more about this proposed boycott. One owner says he's not coming and it's suddenly a boycott???

Zack

Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:47 am

Yeah I must have missed the proposed boycott of Oshkosh. As noted above. Sunday is pretty much a waste at Osh as most people have or are headed home. It pretty much picks up mid week through Saturday.

As far as wacking up the profits from the show and giving them back to the aircraft owners. ThAt should be interesting to see how they propose to do that.

Mark H

Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:53 am

Boycott Oshkosh. :roll:

Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:51 pm

I must admit it is an intriguing concept. An airshow, seemingly without a major headline sponsor, to be held in the middle of nowhere during Oshkosh week, that intends to pay appearance fees AND generate a profit.

Oh, and they're already so confident of being over-subscribed that they're rationing slots.

I do hope it succeeds, but it does sound somewhat ambitious, especially in these straitened economic times.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:09 pm

You guys sure it's not the kid who acquired the Ki-61 that's up to this too? :wink: He did state he "loves to have a good time and enjoy life"

Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:36 pm

Hey Mike,

I do beg to differ that Topeka, Ks is in the middle of nowhere, maybe the edge....but then again, I don't specifically remember being in the middle of anywhere when in S.F.

As far as overconfidence, it may be an instance of unfamiliarity...I know of more than a few instances where the secretary was expected to carry out the wishes of the boss, with a lot of information overload, and no clue of the subject matter.

Boycott? First I've heard of it....

G,

Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:42 pm

Not enough slots for 3 Mossies? Surely they jest! How about cancelling about 4 T-6s to make room!

I gonna' have to pass on this one. 79 slots specified and 50 of 'em allocated to a/c I couldn't care less about.

Yeah...yeah...I know...Incoming! :hide:

Mudge the helpful :drink3:
Last edited by Mudge on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post a reply