Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:14 am 

Hello,

I am sorry to say that my friend Japanese naval aviator Kenzo Takahashi died last week. He was 86. Takahashi-san was one of the most experienced Type 97 "Mavis" veterans who survived the war.

He joined the Navy in 1938 at Yokosuka. On December 8th, 1941 he was involved in reconnaissance for the Philippines attack. He subsequently served in the Celebes, Indonesia, etc. Then in June, 1942 he served at Kiska (Aleutians) and flew patrol missions over Dutch Harbor.

After that he transferred to Rabaul and flew missions in the Solomons and Guadalcanal. He was involved in that famous gunfight between the "Mavis" and B-17 in the Solomons. You can read about this battle here:

http://www.j-aircraft.com/research/stories/h6ksty.html

After that he became a flight instructor. Takahashi-san was a fine man and very sharp. He is now with his comrades.

Sincerely,

Ron Werneth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for posting, Ron--and my condolences to family and friends of Takahashi-san.

Thanks, also, for all the work you've done recording these fellows' personal histories. I realize most WIXers don't know you and all that you've accomplished in such a short time, but all the historians in this bunch are indebted to you. Keep up the good work, my friend!

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:34 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

For those of you curious....

Please find attached a quick resume of Mr. Werneth work.

Hoping you do not mind

Salute to hard work

http://www.pacificwrecks.com/people/authors/werneth.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:33 pm 

Sorry to hear, Ron...

Thanks for posting that link. I've read about that incident several times but have never read such an account as this. Sounds like he was a helluva guy...

Fade to Black...

Post subject: thank you
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:13 pm 

Thank you Dan and Michel for your kind words. Takahashi-san was a good man but largely forgotten even in Japan.

I am shooting for a late 2006 release date for my book.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

ron, that was a great narrative by the mavis pilot regarding the engagement, i've heard about it many times,but never knew the details. thanks!! tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:19 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Ron,
What an amazing project you have set before yourself, and what remarkable success you have made of it. It truly is a marvelous feat you have undertaken, and will be valued greatly in the future; I am sure of it. Well done, and all the best. I look forwards very much to when your book comes out.

Cheers,
Richard

PS. I really enjoyed your august 2005 Flypast article on the zero restorations. It's amusing when I think of it, as I also had an article in the same issue covering the corsair re-union in Connecticut. Cheers. R.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:18 am 

Thanks for the kind words Richard. I appreciate it. After several years of work, I really am pushing to get my book done.

All the best,

Ron