Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Skyraiders ...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:20 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Was looking at C-130 mishaps and came across this C-130A which went down during the siege at Kham Duc Vietnam on 12 May 68. In the background is an A-1H from the 602nd Fighter Sq bellied in. Although a 6th SOS airplane piloted by Lt Col Swain of the 6th SOS is known to have gone down during the battle, I can't seem to confirm the tail number or story on this one. I've also skimmed the list in Mutza's book. I wondered if this airplane was recovered to fly again, but given the loss of this camp to the enemy soon after, I assume this airplane was lost as well.

Ken

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:32 am 

This one is still flying ...

s / n 127002.

https://www.facebook.com/christophe.bru ... ef=tn_tnmn

Cheers :drinkers: ,

Christophe.

https://sites.google.com/site/a26invaderavignon/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:28 am 

I love the last photograph!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:44 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Hear, hear! Great shots from Europe!

As a quick update to the bellied-in Kham Duc photo above, I've located another reference that says this photo was taken in August 1970, so that changes the mystery and I assume that we'll learn this A-1H was recovered and not a loss.

Ken

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:26 pm 

The shot of the two aircraft flying over the fireball reminds me of the Arrival scene in Flight of the Intruder where the two Skyraiders came out from behind the trees. Awesome scene.

Chappie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:24 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Mystery solved, courtesy of the Skyraider Association:

"A-1H 135314, flown by Al Lundy, Jr., was participating in a close air support mission on 14 August 1970. At 1750 hours (L), at 1518N 1074E, following his second low level strike pass, he experienced a gunsight failure. In an attempt to correct the condition, he immediately started a climb to a permissive altitude that would afford him the opportunity to check out the sight. During the climb he suffered a complete engine failure. Rather than eject, he elected to execute a forced landing at a
friendly held dirt strip at Kham Duc. He accomplished a no-power, gear up landing without injury to himself. Damage to the
aircraft was substantial, but it was airlifted to DaNang for analysis and possible repair."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:33 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

http://youtu.be/9Wjdh7kI_LA?list=PLggtW ... SHx-QA0PbC

Neat video all about NMUSAF, but if you're pressed for time, the A-1H is at the 3:30 mark. It's only a snip, so be prepared to pause the video. Looks like they made great strides in reassembly since my last back stage tour; sad they put her back in storage. I know they hand-fabricated a new canopy; it looks a little odd from the camera angle.

Ken

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:21 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Over Troy, AL Jan 2015. Photo by Brian Silcox

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 1:04 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Walk around the Hurlburt static A-1E with a real hero ... Stretch Ballmes

https://youtu.be/3nUYO_mrvb8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:24 pm 

Anyone looking for the now-rare Aero Skyraider book by Jackson? Guy on one of my gun boards is looking to move one. Price is right--$6 plus shipping. I've put a "hold" on it as I suspect someone here will be interested. Send me a PM if you want it and I'll put you in touch. (I already have my copy and wouldn't part with it for ten times that price.)

21) "Douglas Skyraider" by B.R. Jackson. "Aero Publications" volume on the "Able Dog" or "Spad," one of the most effective and famous attack aircraft ever. From post-WWII prototypes to its final service in 1968. Full of b/w photos, color plates w/equipt. and unit markings, scale line drawings, and more. (How embarrassed was the NVN Mig-17 driver shot down by a "Spad" ???). Soft cover 7x10" 141 pp. exc. reading cond. w/some cover wear. $6

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:10 pm 

I put this together a while ago.
But still the best collection of colour photo's on "The Web"
LINK -- http://www.axis-and-allies-paintworks.c ... ic.php?432

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:30 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

A VNAF A-1E Skyraider taxing to the runway at Bien Hoa AB, Vietnam.

host closed :(

Last edited by Lon Moer on Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:51 pm 

Lon Moer wrote:
A VNAF A-1E Skyraider taxing to the runway at Bien Hoa AB, Vietnam.

These aren't VNAF Skyraiders, they're VNAF-marked USAF airplanes of the 1964-early 1965 period. The surefire tipoff is the Collins VHF antenna, which wasn't used by VNAF until they started getting USAF handmedowns starting in 1970.

Cool picture, though, and I don't think I've seen that one before. Thanks for posting it! :supz:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:35 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Rare find! Portion of a 1971 "Air Force Now" film featuring the Skyraiders of the 1st SOS at NKP Thailand. If you look very closely, tail number 665 makes some appearances; she is still flying strong at the Tennessee Museum of Aviation. Enjoy:

https://youtu.be/QFWEaNJxnW4

And while we're at it, the opening scene from "Rescue Dawn" which is actual footage taken by 602nd ACS A-1E's in the 65-66 timeframe. One of the pilots tells me that these were not taken by standard strike cameras, but by purpose-built empty napalm cans converted to house cameras.

https://youtu.be/rp-NAkZNHBc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:48 am 

Ken wrote:
Rare find! Portion of a 1971 "Air Force Now" film featuring the Skyraiders of the 1st SOS at NKP Thailand. If you look very closely, tail number 665 makes some appearances; she is still flying strong at the Tennessee Museum of Aviation. Enjoy:

https://youtu.be/QFWEaNJxnW4

And while we're at it, the opening scene from "Rescue Dawn" which is actual footage taken by 602nd ACS A-1E's in the 65-66 timeframe. One of the pilots tells me that these were not taken by standard strike cameras, but by purpose-built empty napalm cans converted to house cameras.

https://youtu.be/rp-NAkZNHBc

Cool Shaft soundtrack! s

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next