Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Carp 2005
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:57 pm 
Maker of Spiffy models

Here are the pictures of my 3 days there. I met Mike Henniger, Steve Tournay and Richar Allnutt as well as Charles Dumaresq. It would have loved to chat longer with you guys, but there's so much to do at an airshow... Anyhow, there's always the next one!!

A very nice little show, with two P-51Ds, a Spit, one B-25, the B-17G, a SBD-5 and the usual airforce stuff, mainly Griffons (3!!) and the Seaking and a Harvard II. We were there with the usual 3 : Focke-Wulf, P-3 and Harvard.

The only lowpoint was "Memphis Belle" busting her tailwheel tyre, thus preventing her from flying in the show on Sunday. They did carried a spare and she was back and well pretty quickly.

Anyhow, here are the results.

Friday.

Saturday.

Image¸

Sunday.

Image¸

The valourous representative of the Québec Air Force!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

wow you were really snap happy!!! all fabulous shots, & some at unique angles!! thanks for taking the time to post em all. regards, tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:12 pm 

Ollie,
Beautiful pics! Loved seeing the SBD! Thanks again!

COTS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:18 am 

Great stuff Ollie!

Love that shot of the twin mount in the SBD... heck, I like 'em all. All except that ugly green Tex... er... Harvard... ;)

Fade to Black...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:54 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Great photos, Ollie!

Thank you for sharing.

The FW looks great! And so does the Harvard.

Saludos,

Tulio

I am one of them 'futbol' people.

Will the previous owner has pics of this double cabin sample

GOOD MORNING, WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Press "1" for English.
Press "2" to disconnect until you have learned to speak English.

Sooooo, how am I going to know to press 1 or 2, if I do not speak English????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:52 am 

Great pics Ollie!

I would have loved to have been there, unfortunately my weekend was double booked and I ended up going camping!

There is always next year!

Thanks for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:58 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Real nice pics Ollie. I see some of my Dixie Wing bros made the trip. Thanks for posting.
Regards
Robbie :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:20 am 

Great show. So nice to have an airshow in Ottawa again. And more warbirds at an Ottawa show than I can remember in many years. :D :D

I recall a few years ago lamenting on here about the non-existant warbird scene in this part of the world. Well that has changed, and I think a huge amount of the credit has to go to Micheal Potter. His interest in warbirds, and his desire to share his collection, and not keep it hidden away, has created a sort of centre of gravity here in Ottawa. I really think that if he did not have his collection, or kept it locked away, that it would be difficult to attract other warbirds to the show.

So, Mr Potter, if you are reading this, thank you very much :!: :!:

Ollie, it was great to finally meet you in person, and thanks for posting the great pics. And thanks to you and the rest of the crew for bringing your collection along as well. The few photos I took with my digital aren't worth posting. We'll see how the film turns out later in the week.

A question for those who were there on Saturday. Did the "Belle" fly? If so, any pics? Dare I ask what happened to the Sea King on Sunday ... oh right, 1 hour of flying to 30 hours of maintenance, right :wink:

My only complaint about the show was the music. Way too loud in my opinion, and badly mixed so that you could hear the commentator above the music. Of course, some would say that's a good thing!! It was especially annoying during the CF-18 routine. At one point the commentator said "keep your eyes and ears opened" to figure out where it had gone. Problem was the music was so loud you couldn't hear it till it was on top of the airfield or just past ... you couldn't hear it coming. End of rant. At least there was no music during the warbirds. That could have gotten ugly!!

Hats off and many thanks to the organizers. It was a good show, and great to see a show in Ottawa again. Let's hope they succeed in making it an annual event. Maybe next year they can get the CWH in on the event. And this may be asking to much, but what it the Russell Air Force were to tangle with the Potter Air Force in the clear blue skies over Carp. Now THAT would be amazing. Here's to 2006.

Charles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:44 am 
Maker of Spiffy models

Hey Charles. The Seaking was only there static, so no flying for her, she was on her way to the West Coast.

Next year, expect even more Warbirds and the return of the Québec Air Force.

:wink: 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:24 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Great shots!
That has to be a record for most photos (88) for one post. What model Spitfire was that? It looks really great with the bubble canopy and the four bladed prop rather than the 5 bladed prop.

QUestion for the Navy guys; the reenactor with the navy dungarees and the cloth helmet and life jacket, is that accurate? If an enlisted aircrew, wouldn't it be more accurate to have the tan cotton flight suit to match the helmet and goggles? If he is dressed to represent a ground crew member, didn't they have a different type of helmet and goggles? I know only the enlisted wear the dungarees, did they fly in them?
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:57 am 
Maker of Spiffy models

The Spit is a Mk. XVI, SL721, owned by M. Potter.

The Navy guy is actually the second crew of the Dauntless from CAF Dixie Wing. All I know is that he looks the part when he's manning the guns!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:58 am 
S/N Geek

Good job Ollie! Although maybe Webshots would have been useful with the number you posted here.

Your Harvard looks great. It is good to see they moved you to the Warbird side of the parking area. Did you need to threaten to leave or something? They didn't seem to be too accomodating initially.

I also see you had some fun with the sun position as well. That is the only week point of the site. Unfortunately the organizers haven't really taken advange of the bigest strength of the site... the huge grass infield!

Looking forward to meeting you again sometime.

Mike

http://www.facebook.com/AerialVisuals

Do you want to find locations of displayed, stored or active aircraft? Then start with the The Locator.
Do you want to find or contribute to the documented history of an aircraft? If so then start with the Airframes Database.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:16 pm 
Maker of Spiffy models

Yes, that lousy sun!

Next year, they are supposed to be back at Uplands...

And at least I got pics of SL721 without anyone or barriers around!

As for the moving, I talked to the big boss and he told me to move the birds to the other area!

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:58 pm 
S/N Geek

Ollie wrote:
Next year, they are supposed to be back at Uplands...

I heard the owner ship of the Carp airport changed hands ealier that week. That might have something to do with it. Uplands could work as well, but it is an "international" airport and it is served by Air Canada, CanJet, WestJet, etc. Did anyone indicate if it would be on the North-East side by the NRC, or maybe the North-West side by the flying club?

Mike

http://www.facebook.com/AerialVisuals

Do you want to find locations of displayed, stored or active aircraft? Then start with the The Locator.
Do you want to find or contribute to the documented history of an aircraft? If so then start with the Airframes Database.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:19 pm 

Uplands ... hmmm

I kinda like Carp. I think the lower profile of the location keeps it smaller and more intimate in terms of crowd size. And despite the sun the trees make a great background for photos.

On the hand, the National Capital Airshow of the late 80s and early 90s was quite the event, though the last one I went to there was a real dud!

It will be interesting to see what happens. Gatineau could be good too - decent backdrop AND the sun at your back. Not the mention home of the Potter collection. Is their runway longer than Carp? I suspect it is, but Ollie you might know. It would certainly be nice to be able to accomadate some of the larger aircraft on static.

Of course, the most important is that there BE a 2006 airshow. Wherever it is, I plan to be there, as long as they bring out the warbirds.

Charles