Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: The future of the site
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:17 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Next March the site as a whole will hit it's 17th year of operation. This represents thousands of hours of time primarily put in by myself with the occasional help of friends. But the site wouldn't be possible with you, the visitors who come back time and again. I appreciate the visits and all the help I have received.

The revenue generated by the site goes to fund the site and to allow the occasional equipment or software purchase.

Here is my dilema. 2012 has so far been sketchy financially. I took a 10% pay cut earlier in the year and the budget is stretched thin. One side effect is I haven't been within visual distance of a warbird in two years. No airshows for me :(
Currently I spend between 20-25 hours a week working on the site. After the first of the year this will probably have to stop. I will have to get a second job to make ends meet.

Now here is my question to everyone. I have never charged for the site (and never will) but I do except voluntary subscriptions (http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/donate.html) I don't usually try to promote this too much. However, I would rather spend the 20-25 hours working on the site rather than working for someone else.

I'm rambling I know but I hate this so I'll just spit it out. If you find value in this site. If you come every few days. If you alot of time here. Consider signing up for a $2 a month subscription. That's $24 a year, less than a magazine subscription!

This surplus would allow me to make ends meet and continue working on the site.

And if you have already subscribed or donated, thank you! I am working on a more tangible thank you for 2013.

As always, I appreciate the support.

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:28 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I have 148 dollars in the bank with no hope of it increasing in the future as I'm still in school. 25 of it is yours. WIX isn't just a fun place to post: it has become a historical repository, a memorial, a fantastic educational resource. I know times are tough, everyone, but if you can spare 25 bucks to keep WIX 's head above water, I sincerely hope you will donate for the sake of our vets, and our children, if not for ourselves. I can't think of a website that deserves support as much as this one does, and I hope you'll all agree with me and vote with your pocketbooks, this time, if no other.

Thanks for all that you've done, Scott and WIX.

"I knew the jig was up when I saw the P-51D-20-NA Mustang blue-nosed bastards from Bodney, and by the way the blue was more of a royal blue than an indigo and the inner landing gear interiors were NOT green, over Berlin."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Scott please provide me with the overall $'s it takes you to operate this site yearly. PM me if you like.

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:54 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Scott...just pumped in some $$$ via Paypal. Don't know why the receipt came up under my wife's name (Lin). Anyway....

Mudge the pumper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:08 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I'm in.
$25 a year is great value.
Thanks for all your effort Scott

Andy Scott

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:40 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Great value for the money, Scott. Thank you from a satisfied subscriber.

Dan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:33 pm 

My annual subscription is heading your way. Knowledge/info gleaned from this site far exceeds the price of admission!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:37 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Scott,

I live on a (very small) fixed income and although I visit many web sites on a regular basis there is only one that I have ever supported financially. Until today that is! I really would rather not have to live without WIX and I certainly can think of much worse uses of $2 a month. I have signed up for as subscription and will give more as opportunity allows. I have been involved in the running of a web site just enough to understand that I don't fully understand how much work it really is. As such I appreciate your time and effort here at WIX and wish you the best of luck whatever may come. I hope that enough folks will step forward to allow the site not only to continue but even to be profitable for you. If not then I will miss the WIX but certainly understand that real life has to come first.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:40 pm 
S/N Geek

I have in the past give a contribution from time-to-time, but it is easy to forget. I just signed up for the monthly toss into the tip jar.

Scott WRG Editor wrote:
Currently I spend between 20-25 hours a week working on the site.

Man I know where you are coming from. Websites are bottomless pits. I spend about the same on my site.

Mike

http://www.facebook.com/AerialVisuals

Do you want to find locations of displayed, stored or active aircraft? Then start with the The Locator.
Do you want to find or contribute to the documented history of an aircraft? If so then start with the Airframes Database.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:36 pm 

Done. Thanks for the work you do here.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:42 pm 

Done, well worth it :supz:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:56 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I just PayPal'ed my sub in.
Keep it going!
I spend more on a pizza and it gives me nothing back but more weight!
Thanks Scott!
Jerry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:35 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Scott, I use WIX daily. I've learned so much about warbirds from your site. $25 is nothing compared to what I get out of WIX. I just sent you payment via PayPal.

Thanks,

Doug

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:04 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Scott,
May I apologize to you for my inconsideration for your efforts for the last five years, that I've been allowed to share information, get an overall education in all things warbird, vent my selfish opinions, meet wonderful folks, and to actually be able to communicate with some of the movers and shakers in the warbird community.
If you would, for us that do not use PayPal, please give us an address where we (I) can snail mail a contribution. Sometimes we all get wrapped in our daily dealings, and overlook the generosity of others, please allow me to rectify my neglect.

G.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:54 pm 

GARY HILTON wrote:
Scott,
May I apologize to you for my inconsideration for your efforts for the last five years, that I've been allowed to share information, get an overall education in all things warbird, vent my selfish opinions, meet wonderful folks, and to actually be able to communicate with some of the movers and shakers in the warbird community.
If you would, for us that do not use PayPal, please give us an address where we (I) can snail mail a contribution. Sometimes we all get wrapped in our daily dealings, and overlook the generosity of others, please allow me to rectify my neglect.

G.

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/donate.html

I think the correct address is here