Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Renamed the original thread from a few weeks ago and added a few images at the bottom of the thread.

Thought some of you may enjoy this thread ... With the 71st year of the attack on Pearl Harbor (harbour) coming up in a few weeks, maybe a couple of these images you haven't seen before. Of course many battles, strikes and missions are not represented here so I've tried a modest attempt to put together a reasonable idea of what happened at Pearl Harbor and what it took to get the US Navy to the end of the journey. Sources San Diego Air and Space Museum archives, National Museum of Naval Aviation archives, Library of Congress archives, my personal collection.

The first few images before hostilities began ...

View of the flightline at Naval Air Station NAS Ford Island in Pearl Harbor during late 1938

Pearl Harbor Hawaii showing the battleship West Virginia BB48 making a turn at Hospital Point and the aircraft carrier Langley off to the left.

Aerial view of Naval Base Pearl Harbor Hawaii 13 October 1941

Aerial view of the submarine base and fuel tank storage area at Naval Base Pearl Harbor Hawaii 13 October 1941

Aerial view of US Naval Base Pearl Harbor November 1941

A hangar burns at Naval Air Station NAS Ford Island during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor 7 December 1941

Gunners man a sand bagged position during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor

Personnel inspect a damaged hangar at Naval Air Station NAS Ford Island in the aftermath of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor December 1941

View of a burning hangar at Naval Air Station (NAS) Ford Island in the aftermath of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, 7 December 1941.

View of a burned out hangar on Naval Air Station (NAS) Ford Island in the aftermath of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, 1941

View of hangars burning and aircraft wreckage on Naval Air Station (NAS) Ford Island in the aftermath of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, 1941.

Aerial view of destruction at Naval Air Station (NAS) Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii, in the aftermath of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

Sailors fight a fire on a burning PBY Catalina at Naval Air Station (NAS) Kaneohe, Hawaii, 7 December 1941.

View of the battleship Nevada (BB 36) underway during the Pearl Harbor attack, 7 December 1941.

View of PBY Catalina burning at Naval Air Station (NAS) Kaneohe, Territory of Hawaii, following the Japanese attacks on 7 December 1941.

View of the wreckage of an OS2U Kingfisher on Naval Air Station (NAS) Ford Island following the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, 7 December 1941.

View of the wreckage of a PBY Catalina of Patrol Squadron (VP) 12 taken at Naval Air Station (NAS) Kaneohe, Hawaii, in the aftermath of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

View of the wreckage of a PBY Catalina at Naval Air Station (NAS) Kaneohe during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, 7 December 1941.

Cars that were strafed by Japanese aircraft pictured at Naval Air Station (NAS) Kaneohe, Hawaii, in the aftermath of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, 7 December 1941.

Sailors examine the wreckage of an Aichi D3A dive bomber (codenamed Val) that was salvaged from the site where it crashed during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

Views of scenes at Naval Air Station (NAS) Kaneohe during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

View of PBY Catalina aircraft at Naval Air Station (NAS) Ford Island next to a hangar under repair taken sometime after the Japanese attack.

View of the salvaging of the capsized battleship Oklahoma (BB 37) during which the ships was rotated to an angle of about 30 degrees, 29 March 1943.

View of U.S. Naval Base Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, just over six months after the Japanese attack.

The Japanese carrier Shokaku pictured under attack by U.S. aircraft during the Battle of Coral Sea 5-8-1942

IJNS Shoho burning during the Battle of Coral Sea after successful attacks by SBD's and TBD Devastator aircraft from the carriers Lexington (CV 2) and Yorktown (CV 5).

This photo shows the front of a TBD-1 in flight over Wake Island.

View of The Bug the OS2U Kingfisher that rescued Captain Eddie Rickenbaker in the Pacific. This aircraft also survived the attack on Pearl Harbor.

View of the Japanese carrier Hiryu burning after being attacked by U.S. Navy aircraft during the Battle of Midway

View of the strike on Rabual taken by Commander Joseph C. Clifton from the cockpit of his F6F-3 Hellcat, 5 November 1943.

Strike photograph showing Japanese ships under attack at Rabaul 11-5-1943

Strike onthe Marshall Islands 1-29-1944

Strike photograph taken by an aircraft of Carrier Air Group (CVG) 2 during a raid against Kwajalein in the Marshall Islands 1944

Strike photograph of raid in Marshall Islands by aircraft off Intrepid (CV 11)

Strike photograph of raid in Marshall Islands by aircraft off Intrepid (CV 11).-1

Strike photograph of raid against Truk by aircraft off Intrepid (CV 11)-1

Strike photograph of raid against Truk by aircraft off Intrepid (CV 11).

Strike photograph of raid against Truk by aircraft off Intrepid (CV 11)-2

Strike photograph of raid against Truk by aircraft off Intrepid (CV 11)-3

Strike photograph of raid against Truk by aircraft off Intrepid (CV 11).

Strike photograph of raid against Truk by aircraft off Intrepid (CV 11) 2-16-1944

SBD-5s of Bombing Squadron Sixteen (VB-16) off USS Lexington (CV-16) fly low over Japanese installations on Param Island, Truk Atoll

Strike photograph probably taken during strikes on the Palau Islands 1944

Strike photograph showing the explosion of a tanker hit by carrier aircraft during a raid on Palau 3-30-1944

Strike against an unknown target 1944

Strike photograph of air raid against Pagan on 24 June 1944.

formation of TBM Avengers from the U.S.S. Hancock, CV-19, Air Group 7 flying support for the invasion of Okinawa

Strike photographs showing ships under attack by planes of Air Group 7 in the harbor at Hong Kong. Dad was involved in some of these missions

Strike photograph taken by planes from Air Group 80 off the carrier Ticonderoga (CV 14) showing smoke over Manila in the Philippines.

A TBF TBM Avenger of Torpedo Squadron (VT) 51, with battle damage visible on its wing, flies over Japanese ships under attack during the Battle of Leyte Gulf.

A TBF TBM Avenger flies past the Japanese carrier Zuikaku as she sinks during the Battle of Leyte Gulf.

Strike photograph shot during a raid by carrier aircraft against Kure on the island of Honshu in Japan 3-19-1945

Ships of the Fifth Fleet at anchor in Ulithi Atoll.

Carrier aircraft pictured in mass formation over ships of the U.S. Pacific Fleet. USS Wasp (CV 18)

Carrier aircraft pictured in mass formation over ships of the U.S. Pacific Fleet.

Formations of U.S. Navy carrier planes roar over USS Missouri (BB 63) anchored in Tokyo Bay for the ceremonies in which the Japanese Empire surrendered to the Allied powers

Photograph taken from USS Missouri (BB 63) showing U.S. Navy carrier planes flying over Tokyo Bay on the day the instrument of surrender was signed,

SB2C-4E of Bombing Squadron 88 (VB-88) in flight over ships of Task Force 58. The mass formation of aircraft might indicate that this photograph was taken on 2 September 1945

TBM-3E Avenger, with Composite Squadron Ten (VC-10), in flight over unidentified CVEs cruising Tokyo Bay after surrender.

Last edited by Mark Allen M on Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:07 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Anyone spot the R3D yet?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:51 am 

1st picture

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:38 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

expat wrote:
1st picture

DING-DING-DING :drink3:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:27 pm 

Thanks for posting. Any pre war THI photos will make me stop what I am doing and look.

TM

"Welcome back Mr. Lasky."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Those are great!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:00 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The pic of the West Virginia entering Pearl had to have been taken prior to October 1936 as Langley still has its full flight deck in the picture. The forward 40% of the flight deck was removed in the conversion to seaplane tender.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Interesting to note, at least for me. I didn't know there were B-24's, or at least a B-24 at Pearl Harbor during the attack. Very interesting.
Source and a nice site to reflect on some images well seen and a few not so well seen. http://hawaii.gov/hawaiiaviation/aviati ... ber-7-1941

B-24A assigned to the 1st Photo Group 44th Bomb Group arrived at Hickam Field on December 5 1941 to have guns installed prior to continuing to the Philippines to fly recon.

Wrecked hangar with destroyed planes at Wheeler Field December 7 1941

Severely damaged P-36 sits in wrecked hangar at Wheeler Field December 7 1941

Looking out toward Hangar Avenue and the flightline from the courtyard between heavily damaged Wing E and Wing D of the big barracks at Hickam Field December 7 1941

Hangar 35 Dock 1 at Hickam Field with an A-20A aircraft of the 5th Bomb Group on left and O-49 aircraft on right December 7 1941

Close up view of wreckage in Hangar 1 at Wheeler Field December 7 1941 A P-26 is on left with a P-40 in background

Burned out P-40B's in front of Hangar 3 Wheeler Field December 7 1941

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Nice shot of Pearl Harbor, May 2, 1940

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Very good points about Wake and the Philippines, here are some nice series from the LIFE archives as to how life was in the Philippines a month before hostilities.

http://images.google.com/hosted/life/33 ... 72f54.html

http://images.google.com/hosted/life/a5 ... c49dd.html

http://images.google.com/hosted/life/b2 ... b3823.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:03 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Just wondering after viewing the unreal mass of airplanes flying over the surrender, how many accidents happened that day? Had to have some casualties with that much iron in the air. Has anyone ever heard? A friend of mine viewed the flyover from the deck of the Mississippi, what a sight and sounds that must have been.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

TriangleP wrote:
... the simultaneous attacks on Clark Field, Manila (Dec. Eighth) and Wake Island (Dec. 7) can't compete with the vast number of images that were shot at Pearl Harbor. ...

And even before Pearl, Wake, or Clark was Kota Bharu, and some of the first shots of the Pacific War. (Not to mention the cigarette on a bombing raid story.)

"I think Don Dowey said he lit a cigarette when he took off and he was still smoking it when he came back. That's how close it was."
http://vintageaeroplanewriter.blogspot. ... e-7th.html

Rightly Pearl Harbor is a waypoint of history, but as TriangleP's pointed out, there were other fights, no less desperate and a lot more rearguard.

Regards,

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:54 pm 

Disregard what I wrote below. I scrolled through the other posts to see if it had been brought up (it was) but missed it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stupid question: Is the twin engine machine parked beside the Kingfisher at the bottom of the first photo a Douglas DC-5 (or C-110/R3D)?

At first I was thinking A-20 but I'm not sure it's one of those.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

One has to recognise from the pictures that the Japanese attack was remarkably effective, given the weight of weaponry, number and development of the aircraft that carried it out. Having tested weapons and battle-hardened and experienced airmen increased the attack's efficacy.

The lessons of Taranto were well learned and well-expanded upon. I would image the Italian views of their port the morning after would've been similar, down to the retrieval of an enemy bomber from the water.

As we all know, the critical element was that the carriers were not there. Grievous though the losses to battleships and cruisers and their sailors were, they would not have been as critical in the war as the carriers were to prove.

I wonder if the carriers had been in port, what losses in these vital ships might have been - I'd presume the maximum effect would have been to prolong the Pacific war, as there was no way Japan could have prevailed once the decision by the allies of nothing short of unconditional surrender was a possible objective.

Just a few, random, thoughts.

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:14 pm 

As a personal story, when I was in the 4th grade there was a gentleman who volunteered to come into my class, and he frequently helped me with homework and would discuss life. This gentleman was a survivor of the USS Arizona, after a while he and I became friends and on the Monday morning bus rides to school I was happy that I would see my friend who would tell me about being on the Arizona and "...the war". I was probably the only one in the class to understand the significance of WW2, probably because my grandpa was a B-24 pilot and his brother was a navigator killed over Japan in a B-29. In a poor attempt of appreciation, I built him a model of his ship, it was a ugly model to say the least. At the end of the year, he didn't come in one Monday and I figured he couldn't make it. The next Monday, again he didn't show up and I was wondering where he was before I finally asked the teacher. She informed me that he passed away at the end of the previous week. I was so sad that the teacher just let me sit there that day and cry over the loss of my friend. All of a sudden, the world seemed to be less of a place. I can't remember his name, but I'll never forget what this man not only did for me, but also for this country and that a lot of his friends are resting in that steel ship at the bottom of the Pearl. RIP to those who didn't return.