Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:02 pm 

Good day gentlemen. I am currently writing an article for a warbird magazine about the air racing career of Mira Slovak. I have all the historical information I need from my book collection, internet sources, and an interview with Mira. The article itself should be completed in the next couple weeks.

I'd like to put out a blanket request for photos of Mira himself, his Race 80 Bearcat, and Race 21 P-39 Mr Mennen. I only do this as a hobby so I can offer no compensation, but if your photo is used in the magazine you'll receive credit. You'll also have my thanks.

Please feel free to contact me at- flyboychappie@msn.com

Cheers,
Chappie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Chappie wrote:
Good day gentlemen. I am currently writing an article for a warbird magazine about the air racing career of Mira Slovak. I have all the historical information I need from my book collection, internet sources, and an interview with Mira. The article itself should be completed in the next couple weeks.

I'd like to put out a blanket request for photos of Mira himself, his Race 80 Bearcat, and Race 21 P-39 Mr Mennen. I only do this as a hobby so I can offer no compensation, but if your photo is used in the magazine you'll receive credit. You'll also have my thanks.

Please feel free to contact me at- flyboychappie@msn.com

Cheers,
Chappie

Going to mention his Unlimited Hydroplane racing in Bill Boeing Jrs Miss WAHOO U-77? There's a great Bob Carver shot of Mira in the WAHOO @ Lake Chelan going flat out and the boats about 6 feet in the air bouncing off a roller in 1957, he also recently drove the brand new reproduction WAHOO.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:16 am 

I'm not sure if I'll use hydroplane pictures Inspector. I mention the hydroplane racing connection with Bill Stead, but I don't elaborate on it. I'm sticking with air racing and his defection flight of course.

Chappie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:16 pm 

His sailplane is hanging from the ceiling at the Museum of Flight's restoration Center hangar at PAE if you go up on the balcony you can get a nice side shot of it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:11 pm 

I can give you Mira's e-mail address if you're still looking for stuff.

Inspector is right, though....if it wasn't for the hydroplane racing he wouldn't have gone into air racing.

He won several races against guys like Chuck Lyford and Bill Stead. He was the 1958 and 1966 National Champion in the unlimited hydroplanes, and was hand-picked by Stead to race his Bearcat at the first Reno. And the Smirnoff sponsorship for the Bearcat in '64 and '65 came from the hydroplane sponsorship too. It was all interconnected.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:41 am 

Thanks Speedy, but I have already spoken with Mira. In the article I do touch on the fact that it was hydroplane racing that lead to air racing, but since this article is for a warbird magazine I don't elaborate too much on the boats. What I'm looking for now is quality photos of the Bearcat and P-39.

Chappie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:22 pm 

C'mon. Nobody was at races in 64 or 65? Same goes for Reno 72?

Chappie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:55 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

http://www.google.com/search?num=10&hl= ... GJKeDTLagA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:06 pm 

mike furline wrote:
http://www.google.com/search?num=10&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=895&q=mira+slovak&oq=mira+slovak&gs_l=img.3..0j0i24l4.969.5157.0.5422.13.8.0.5.5.0.141.1124.0j8.8.0...0.0...1ac.1.1GJKeDTLagA

Thanks Mike, but I don't want to pluck a picture from a website. Internet photos are not always the best quality and it is not a good idea to use a photo in a publication without permission. Also, if you get to talk to the photographer who took the photo you might get a 1,000 words to go with it.

Chappie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Chappie wrote:
mike furline wrote:
http://www.google.com/search?num=10&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=895&q=mira+slovak&oq=mira+slovak&gs_l=img.3..0j0i24l4.969.5157.0.5422.13.8.0.5.5.0.141.1124.0j8.8.0...0.0...1ac.1.1GJKeDTLagA

Thanks Mike, but I don't want to pluck a picture from a website. Internet photos are not always the best quality and it is not a good idea to use a photo in a publication without permission. Also, if you get to talk to the photographer who took the photo you might get a 1,000 words to go with it.

Chappie

You could try the Hydroplane Museum who built the dead on replica @ www.thunderboats.org for a photo of it and maybe Mira sitting in it.
Bob Carver the Seattle Post Intellegencer photog who caught WAHOO airborne @ Lake Chelan in 1957 is long dead, the PI ceased publishing over a decade ago and I'll bet that image belongs to GETTY Images now. I think you are missing an important link in Miras story, are you going to mention that he was Bill Boeing Jrs. personal pilot which is how he got the boat racing gig?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:36 am 

The Inspector wrote:
I think you are missing an important link in Miras story, are you going to mention that he was Bill Boeing Jrs. personal pilot which is how he got the boat racing gig?

At first I wasn't going to get into Mira's hydroplane career, but when he told me about Bill Boeing Jr asking him to drive his boats which lead to racing Bill Stead's F8F I decided to include that information. So yes.

Chappie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:09 pm 

Two of Mr. Mennen at Reno in 1972, one in color, on Bill Larkins' Photostream on Flickr. There may be others. That man seemed to be everywhere! Here's the link to the P-39:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34076827@N00/page9/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:42 pm 

Wilson wrote:
Two of Mr. Mennen at Reno in 1972, one in color, on Bill Larkins' Photostream on Flickr. There may be others. That man seemed to be everywhere! Here's the link to the P-39:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34076827@N00/page9/

The #39 in the picture to the right of the Mr. Mennen photos is the same plane four years later.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You have an e-mail, Chappie.

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com