Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Forgot to state Source: San Diego Air and Space Museum archives, IWM archives, LIFE archives, my personal collection, images sent to me by others. All free and fully accessible by anyone who has an interest in them. See my disclaimer and thread a few pages back.

Any photo content stated came with the image and very pleased to see corrected when possible.

Last edited by Mark Allen M on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Source: See post above
FM-2

F4F-3 Guadalcanal 1943

F4F-3

FM-2 and P-51

Grumman-martlets

Grumman Martlets aboard HMS Illustrious

F4F-3's USS Hornet 1942

F4F-3 USS Hornet 1942

F4F's on CAP

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:03 pm 

I flew the CAF's old FM-2 N681S for quite a while and also delivered Cavanaugh's FM-2 and flew it for them in a few shows. In general, I agree with bombardier29's comments and I also did airshow acro in the CAF FM-2 and it was possible to do a full show under a 1500 foot ceiling, unusual for a fighter, due to the fat wings and this was with only a 1200 hp R-1820 fitted. The FM-2 was a very honest plane in the air, and if you understood its limitations, not that bad on the ground. I flew it mostly with the stock brakes, which faded very quickly when taxiing or even landing in strong crosswinds. My practice was always to land it three-point, with the wind from the left if possible due to the somewhat odd geometry of the gear articulation and engine/prop interaction on roll out. Frankly, the FM-2 Wildcat was probably my favorite WWII fighter to fly. My 2 cents.

Randy

P.S. bombardier29, do we know each other? Just curious. Feel free to PM me if you'd rather.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:11 pm 

Randy Wilson wrote:

P.S. bombardier29, do we know each other? Just curious. Feel free to PM me if you'd rather.

I don't believe we have met but if you are the same Randy Wilson that flew WW 1 planes with that collection in the Dallas area about thirty years ago then we may have crossed paths before. Wasn't that called the VAC or something like that? I wasn't involved with it but I remember the group and your name sounds familiar.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:12 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

FM-2 and P-51

Sounds like I'm not the only guy on this thread who wishes that the P-51 would've gotten outta' the way so we could have had a better view of the FM-2! I just love Wildcats.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:31 am 

bombardier29 - yes, I was involved with the Fighting Air Command (FAC) group at Hartlee Field in Denton, Tx back in the early-mid 1980s. We had some of the Blue Max movie aircraft and other WWI replica aircraft. I owned a full-size Fokker Dr.I Triplane replica, which is now in the Cavanaugh Flight Museum collection.

Randy