Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:06 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Due too popular request, I have been looking for a mod that will allow a user to ignore the posts of a particular user that annoys them in some way. Well after looking high and low and reviewing dozens of threads in the support forums I have stumbled across the fact that it exists as a feature in the current forum software though it is not obvious. You might have noticed that there is a friend/foe feature that apparently dos not do anything. I myself have often wondered what the point of this was. I have still not figured out what the point of tagging a user as a friend, it apparently doesn't do much of anything. However, tagging a user as a foe will cause there posts to collapse to a single line saying
This post was made by <user> who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.

It gives you an option to see the post if you want too. To take a user off the foe list you can do so on his/her profile page.

I'm still looking for a reputation mod but for now this should alieviate alot of the issues.

Let me know what you think of this feature.-+

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:21 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

*Foes Scott* :drink3:

"I knew the jig was up when I saw the P-51D-20-NA Mustang blue-nosed bastards from Bodney, and by the way the blue was more of a royal blue than an indigo and the inner landing gear interiors were NOT green, over Berlin."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:19 pm 

I like it (and have been using it). Off hand, I think most of the dozen or so boards on various topics which I frequent have this feature.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:07 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

dred wrote:
I like it (and have been using it). Off hand, I think most of the dozen or so boards on various topics which I frequent have this feature.

It's a stock feature of the latest phpBB software, I just didn't understand it's use :)

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:50 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Scott WRG Editor wrote:
dred wrote:

It's a stock feature of the latest phpBB software, I just didn't understand it's use :)

Scott,
You must not have any foes. :drink3:

Remember an Injured Youth
benstear.org
#64- Stay Strong and Keep the Faith

BOOM BOOM, ROUND ROUND, PROPELLER GO

Don't Be A Dilbert!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

51fixer wrote:
Scott WRG Editor wrote:
dred wrote:

Scott,
You must not have any foes. :drink3:

Not for very long anyway... ~heh heh heh...

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:56 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

One of the other forums has that feature, I make use of it to block trolls :)

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:34 pm 

So I hear plenty of WIXers lamenting the current state of the WIX forums and I sometimes count myself among their ranks but not very often. I'm not sure if the WIX forums are really all that different from what any of us recall but the most common complaint seems to be that few actual warbird owner/operators post anymore. Maybe that's true, I don't know. I certainly know of a few owner/operators who have "left the building" and it does seem like "troll problems" was the single most common reason given.

Here's an idea that would give us all a chance to "battle it out" with the trolls. A sort of "good troll vs bad troll" internet forum boxing ring where we could practice the low art of flaming each other until somebody is declared the winner or everybody just gets bored. It would be kind of like a web based "Donnybrook with John Barleycorn" where a dust-up could be settled with bare knuckles, or in this case, bare fingertips on a keyboard. There would be no rules, no banned words, a wide open free for all. You would invite your foe into a private chat room but it's not a chat room at all, it's a verbal cage match of mixed martial arts in a web forum format. There would be only two conditions, here's the kicker. A) You have to pay a fee to WIX per event and B) No information or reference to the battle could be posted on the regular forums. It would be an alternate internet universe, only accessible via a special WIX wormhole. Once you cross the event horizon of the battleground, nothing you say can come back into this universe. If you violate the information paradox rule, you are banned from WIX FOREVER! Have you ever heard a bartender tell two guys who are about to duke it out to "take it outside!"? Well, this would be the same thing and by the way, standard 19th Century dueling challenge rules apply. If offered a duel, you must accept. You can bring a second plus as many spectators as you wish. Oh, and by the way, the spectators can't take part in the duel and they must also pay WIX a fee to watch the match.

So, what do you all think?

*I get Eric Downing as a 2nd in all my duels.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

astixjr wrote:
So I hear plenty of WIXers lamenting the current state of the WIX forums and I sometimes count myself among their ranks but not very often. I'm not sure if the WIX forums are really all that different from what any of us recall but the most common complaint seems to be that few actual warbird owner/operators post anymore. Maybe that's true, I don't know. I certainly know of a few owner/operators who have "left the building" and it does seem like "troll problems" was the single most common reason given.

Here's an idea that would give us all a chance to "battle it out" with the trolls. A sort of "good troll vs bad troll" internet forum boxing ring where we could practice the low art of flaming each other until somebody is declared the winner or everybody just gets bored. It would be kind of like a web based "Donnybrook with John Barleycorn" where a dust-up could be settled with bare knuckles, or in this case, bare fingertips on a keyboard. There would be no rules, no banned words, a wide open free for all. You would invite your foe into a private chat room but it's not a chat room at all, it's a verbal cage match of mixed martial arts in a web forum format. There would be only two conditions, here's the kicker. A) You have to pay a fee to WIX per event and B) No information or reference to the battle could be posted on the regular forums. It would be an alternate internet universe, only accessible via a special WIX wormhole. Once you cross the event horizon of the battleground, nothing you say can come back into this universe. If you violate the information paradox rule, you are banned from WIX FOREVER! Have you ever heard a bartender tell two guys who are about to duke it out to "take it outside!"? Well, this would be the same thing and by the way, standard 19th Century dueling challenge rules apply. If offered a duel, you must accept. You can bring a second plus as many spectators as you wish. Oh, and by the way, the spectators can't take part in the duel and they must also pay WIX a fee to watch the match.

I agree something needs doing by the mods besides slapping people who come to the sites defense against a very occasional poster who wore his cranky panties and locking the thread, but NOT DOING ANYTHING ABOUT ALL THE FRIGGIN' SPAM. There's enough SPAM on all the forums except the HANGAR to do at least two more Monty Python musicals but is anything done to delete them??? NOOOO, particularly this kitchen and cabinets individual of questionable judgement who's apparently got a bad case of digital diarrhea.

Before you try to take a poop in my Wheaties, why don't you MODS do YOUR tasks and tidy up the rest of the kitchen?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:08 pm 

astixjr wrote:
Well, this would be the same thing and by the way, standard 19th Century dueling challenge rules apply. If offered a duel, you must accept. You can bring a second plus as many spectators as you wish. Oh, and by the way, the spectators can't take part in the duel and they must also pay WIX a fee to watch the match.

You are aware that you allowed to NOT accept, and thereby accept the dishonor or point of veiw of the challenging party right? In addition, the person being called to the duel gets to pick both the weapon of choice, the place and the time...

Didn't think that a decade of working Renfaire and two decades of fencing would come in that handy here... :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:15 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Randolph, I need a new fence since you have all that experience. Maybe after I get my kitchen remodeled I'll give you a call! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:09 pm 

bdk wrote:
Randolph, I need a new fence since you have all that experience. Maybe after I get my kitchen remodeled I'll give you a call! :lol:

Oh...I thought you needed a nice, cheap watch.... 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:05 pm 

I tend to report spam if I see it. I am a mod on another site and spent long hours booting spammers. Spammers are no fun.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You sh*tcan the pompous! arrogant egomaniacs to go along with your trolls and you'll have a nice site. :evil:

Last edited by Mark Allen M on Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

... Enough said!