Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:43 pm 
I found this news story regarding the plans for the "Philippine Mars" owned by Coulson. I thought a new thread might be better then one titled "Martin Mars Vandalized."

The Airplane is apparently being painted a "baby blue?" Not sure about that one. And apparently the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola is one of the interested Museum Parties. Either that or the Marttin Aviaion Museum would be appropriate places for it to end up.

The article mentions it would need to be restored to a condition making it safe to fly (hasn't flown in 5 years), so where ever it ends up I hope it is flown there, so we have an opportunity to see it in flight one more time before placement in a museum.

http://www2.canada.com/albernivalleytim ... 83fc6767ca

Look forward to seeing how this plays out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:55 pm 

Oh dear Lord. I hope the Navy does not get ahold of the aircraft. There will be zero chance of ever seeing it fly again.

Chappie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:40 pm 

I had a good laugh at the baby blue comment. It will be the NAVY blue scheme. I heard November will be the launch date for the new home in Pensacola. As for keeping it airworthy after this flight will be dam near impossible. The QEC's will be removed and shipped back. I suspect dummy cores (previously grenaded engines) will be used to support time ex'd props. As well any other item that is in scarcity will be removed for future use on the other aircraft. On a quiet night you can hear the aircraft corroding away, so regardless of who gets the aircraft I doubt any organisation will be able to support the amount of maintenance required to keep it in an airworthy condition. Quite frankly if it was affordable, I doubt it would have been retired.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:27 pm 
SeptRepair wrote:
I had a good laugh at the baby blue comment. It will be the NAVY blue scheme. I heard November will be the launch date for the new home in Pensacola. As for keeping it airworthy after this flight will be dam near impossible. The QEC's will be removed and shipped back. I suspect dummy cores (previously grenaded engines) will be used to support time ex'd props. As well any other item that is in scarcity will be removed for future use on the other aircraft. On a quiet night you can hear the aircraft corroding away, so regardless of who gets the aircraft I doubt any organisation will be able to support the amount of maintenance required to keep it in an airworthy condition. Quite frankly if it was affordable, I doubt it would have been retired.

Yeah, that "Baby Blue" comment in the article sounded rather odd. As you say, I suspected that it was meant to be in the dark Navy blue scheme these airplanes were sporting when they last flew for the Navy in the fifties.

And nice as it would be to keep it airworthy, I don't think there was realistically any chance that a new owner/museum would have kept it in flying condition following its transfer from Coulson and the end of its fire fighting career.

I think it is great that it looks like it at least will get one last flight to its new home. If it is Pensacola, November would be a good time to fly it there. Not too hot and after the hurricane season has pretty well calmed down. Please keep us updated on what you hear, I would love to see this beauty fly in to its final resting place.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:14 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

It is Blue now and the new home has been confrimed. I wonder why they are not painting it at P-Cola....
Quote:
An aircraft that saved B.C. forests from wildfire for more than 50 years - including the 2003 fires in Kelowna - is headed for retirement in the U.S., where it's expected to become a star attraction at an aviation museum.

One of two Martin Mars aircraft, dubbed Philippine Mars, owned by the Coulson Group of Port Alberni, is heading south to its new role as a tourist attraction as the National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, Florida.

In exchange, Wayne Coulson is hoping to get a C-130 Hercules aircraft or a variety of parts from that model. Coulson owns a C-130 Hercules based in Sacramento, California.

A second aircraft, Hawaii Mars, will remain in Port Alberni on contract to the province as a waterbomber.

The deal that sees the donation of the Philippine Mars to the museum has been in the works for a couple of years, said Coulson.

"The airplane hasn't flown in five years," said Coulson. "We're now convinced there is no niche market for it, and as the aircraft continues to deteriorate, we've had to come up with a plan for it."

The Pensacola museum was chosen because it's the largest naval museum in the world and the only Second World War aircraft it doesn't have on display is the Martin Mars, which served as a U.S. troop carrier.

The aircraft needed a paint job, so Coulson has elected to return it to its original colour of U.S. navy blue.

The Philippine Mars is getting ready for its final flight, which could happen in November, Coulson said.

"It's been a real honour and a privilege to own these aircraft, for everything that they stood for over the years between working for the military and on wildfires - they've done a wonderful job," he said.

"In B.C., both Mars have made in excess of 8,000 drops with their 52 years of history with the forest service. They are an icon in the province and they've certainly protected many lives and property over the years."

The National Naval Aviation Museum is the world's largest aviation museum, featuring 150 restored aircraft representing the U.S. navy, Marine Corps and coast guard.

I found it here:
http://www.timescolonist.com/travel/Aft ... story.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:21 pm 
Bryan,

Thanks for posting the confirmed information and the link to the article. Nice to see the Mars getting the glossy Navy blue paint job.

It will be very appropriate to see this great aircraft find a final resting place at the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola.

And it is very exciting to hear that it will be prepped for and make a final flight to Florida hopefully in November. This will be an historic event and I hope that I and a lot of other interested warbird fans and enthusiasts will have the opportunity to witness the arrival.

Keep us posted on anything you hear and I will do the same.

:D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:06 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

It will be cool to see it in it's new paint and flying after sitting for 5 years. It will be very sad to see it converted to a static "dead" airplane sitting outside , of course.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:09 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Understand the value of a C-130, but sure wish Mr. Coulson would also take a couple of Dauntlesses in trade from Lake Michigan. Would be a bit of comfort for a couple more to enter civilian ownership.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:12 pm 

I was at their base Aug 9 2012 and made a few videos that I thought everybody might like to see.
I will do my best to get some test flight videos with the new Navy colors.
Please enjoy the video
Someone please tell me how to post pictures here,I am a newbie,Thanks

Martin Mars Engines Start
Click Below to View Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wug90cngexY

Last edited by Timelapse on Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:50 am 

jwc50 wrote:
And it is very exciting to hear that it will be prepped for and make a final flight to Florida hopefully in November. This will be an historic event and I hope that I and a lot of other interested warbird fans and enthusiasts will have the opportunity to witness the arrival.

Keep us posted on anything you hear and I will do the same.

:D
Be interesting to see the route taken. Direct CYPB-KPNS is within the nominal range (unless some tanks have been removed/isolated) but few if any places to alight if need be.

So coastal route or lake-hopping ?

W

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:43 am 

http://www.timescolonist.com/travel/Aft ... story.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:07 pm 

So coastal route or lake-hopping ?

oooooo geek what plane did you see flying today? come November!

If they decide--for some bizarre reason--to enter ATL airspace I would recommend Lake Lanier for splashdown.
First Alternate--Lake Windward....getting in no problem....getting out...well...our HOA has been kicking around plans for a lakeside Community Center...this might just do!

I would take full responsibility!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:24 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

It would be nice if the delivery to Pensacola could be made to coincide with the Airshow at Pensacola in November, to alow the maximum number of folks to see it in the air.

It does rather sound as though the deal has yet to be finalised though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:00 pm 

marine air wrote:
Understand the value of a C-130, but sure wish Mr. Coulson would also take a couple of Dauntlesses in trade from Lake Michigan. Would be a bit of comfort for a couple more to enter civilian ownership.

The SBD was a pretty good ship killer. Dunno how effective
a fire bomber it would be..........just sayin'.....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:13 am 

Martin Mars Water Bomber Philippine Mars Restoration
Click Below to View Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3ICQg1CwqU

New pictures of the Marianas Mars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyMIWnZBOxA

Last edited by Timelapse on Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:06 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next