Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:17 pm 

Like some others I have followed this thread due to the information coming out, very constructive and nice to see.

So am I correct in stating that we can expect to have 3 possible versions of the Early E series aircraft (I use that E series term just for simplicity on my behalf).

So we have E-1 with or with out lights depending on the order? ie British H-87A, then E-1's for US operations and E-1's that where exported to other countries via

Lend Lease that may or may not have the lights fitted?

Peter Smythe

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:40 am 

Mark Allen M wrote:
Apologies Peter-Four-Oh, That image came from a big batch of P-40 photos all listed as from the SDASM archives. I have no doubt it belongs to you and if you wish I'll certainly take it down. I've stated it before that so many photos I post have misleading credit and/or titles if anything at all. And I sometimes take a chance by posting them. Not a problem to take it down though.

I also have been following this thread for some time now and find it to be quite interesting. As long as it's civil. :wink:

No worries Mark... you know me and images... :lol:

And hell no, don't take it down. As I say, this stuff does no good unless folks get to see it.

Speaking of images, if you come across any good-sized and good quality images showing Texas Longhorn please do give a yell. The 49th pages on my site are among its oldest and they are pitiful... an update is in order, and Texas Longhorn is one that I'd like to feature.

Fade to Black...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:55 am 

Gents,
Today I received a photograph from a JPAC Civilian contractor, currently involved in cataloging USAAF crash sites in Oro Province, PNG. It's not my photograph, I don't have copyright and I am not going to post it here. However the photo clearly shows the upper left side of a heavily damaged P-40 chin cowl with the words "Texas Longhorn" clearly legible. The artwork, though faded and a little crumpled perfectly matches that shown as Texas Longhorn on the back cover of the squadron signal: "P-40 in Action"book. The photographer advises that the cowl section co exists with a heavily impacted Allison V1710 and very little fuselage or wing wreckage remains at the site. It saddens me deeply that such a historic Fifth Air Force artefact remains unrecovered on the floor of the rainforest in a very isolated part of the world, rather than on display at the USAF Museum in Dayton, Ohio. The photo was taken in the last 10 days. One would think that if a restorer/salvager had recovered this wreck for a future project, with such famous provenance, that the cowling with it's artwork would have been the deal clincher, and the most important proof of provenance. I sincerely hope that a villager does not view the cowl as a quick buck and sell it to a Malaysian scrapper for a carton of beer, as has happened to so many other aviation artifacts in PNG. This certainly makes me question if the P-40 in the sea off Townsville might not be a second Texas Longorn, and not the original.

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR P-38 PARTS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:05 pm 

What a great piece of news, if more details in regards to numbers could be located this could fill in a lot of gaps not just for this topic but for generally how
aircraft names followed pilots or stayed with aircraft.

will keep an eye out for further updates

SD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:11 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

RobC wrote:
Like arguments over paint jobs, I think this one has been done to death on WIX. I am going to steal your thread to say that this is one of the reasons I liked Gerry Beck so much. Aside from his incredible skills, when Gerry built his homebuilt P-51A, he said it was a homebuilt P-51A. I am sure he could have conjurred up an identity if he had wanted to. Same with Dick Melton. I had the pleasure of spending an afternoon with him when he was building a two-seater Spitfire in the rafters of a hangar in the early '90s. He was not only candid that it was scratchbuilt, but quite proud of it.

Not to dredge up an old thread, but I found an interesting substantiation of your comment about Gerry Beck from the NTSB report on the 2007 accident:
NTSB wrote:
The pilot/builder made the following statement about the aircraft on the FAA Form 8000-38 when he applied for the Special Airworthiness Certificate:

"This project represents a built from scratch exact full scale replica of the North American P-51A Mustang. It is a 'Plans Built' aircraft built from the original production drawings acquired from the National Archives. The only exception would be the landing gear and a handful of original small components."

Warbird Philosophy Webmaster

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6