Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Cradle of Aviation
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:36 pm 

.....seems to be having some financial difficulties.

http://www.newsday.com/news/opinion/ny- ... 770.column

This is a nice museum on Long Island, just a few miles from Roosevelt Field, Grumman, and Republic, and occupying two remaining hangers of Mitchel Field. It would be a shame if it fails, considering the aviation heritage that used to be on LI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:01 am 
WRG Staff Photographer & WIX Brewmaster

I guess I need to make the run down before its too late. Its sad that all museums are really haveing a tuff time keeping the doors open. :(

Post subject: Cradle of Aviation
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:14 pm 

Like any government funded project, this one could probably be run with a little more efficiency. If the writer of the article thinks the telling the history of this area and it's relationship with aviation is a waste of taxpayers money, what does he think of the Endowment for the Arts?

Post subject: Cradle Museum
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:18 pm 

It's distressing to hear that the Cradle museum is having trouble. They have created a world class museum that celebrates LI's aviation heritage, one that has now completely vanished. As I call LI home I have been to the museum since I was 11 when it first opened in 1979. Although the runways are long gone there are substantial remains of Mitcheld Field infrastructure. Base officers housing, the operations bldg, parade ground and officer club bldgs mostly now part of Nassau Community College. The museum is housed in 3 of the original 1930's hangars. In the begining the collection was housed in the hangars that were pretty much left as they were when the field was active. You really got the feel of what it was like on the base. Plenty of light for photography coming in from the windows and on the hangar doors.

What they did was gut the hangars, paint over all the windows, in the open ramp btwn hangars they built the atrium and IMAX theater. It is impressive and has the feel of the NASM in DC. But I think part of me wishes they just put the money into restoring the hangars as was, put in a good climate control system and put the rest of the funds into acquiring and restoring aircraft.

The other thing is that most people who make the effort to come to LI, are here to head for the beaches or the Hamptons. How many people come to see our few museums? That leaves locals and how much repeat business does that generate? The last time I was at Cradle was in '02. The collection has not changed so what is there to draw me back just yet? Contrast that with the American Airpower Museum at Republic airport, which consists of Jeff Clyman's flying collection and some static a/c as well. There always seems to be a crowd visiting the collection. They frequently advertise special events which draw even more visitors in. They had a lot of people come during the Jones Beach airshow weekend, Labor Day weekend the Collings a/c arrive, and they have other events that advertise some flying going on. Seems there is more to draw back repeat business.

I wonder if there is something to be said for flying vs static collections? It would be interesting if there was a comparison done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:21 am 

A little background info on Mitchel Field;

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/NY/Air ... ongIsC.htm

Interesting to note that over 70 different airfields existed on LI over the course of years. Gotta make way for those strip malls I guess. Different times, unfortunately.

regards,

t~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:09 am 

originalboxcar wrote:
A little background info on Mitchel Field;

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/NY/Air ... ongIsC.htm

Interesting to note that over 70 different airfields existed on LI over the course of years. Gotta make way for those strip malls I guess. Different times, unfortunately.

regards,

t~

Thanks for the info. Real estate on LI is certainly pricey these days. Too bad more old airfields can't be saved.