Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 440 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:18 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Vital Spark wrote:
What is it about abandoned machinery that makes people want to clamber all over it like a jungle gym. In the first clip there is a fellow standing on the windscreen.

I bet they did as much damage in taking the ammunition out of the wings as the desert did since the day the aircraft came to rest.

Just be glad the Egyptian Army wanted the 50 cal ammo themselves enough to collect it from the aircraft, rather than just blowing it up to stop others from getting it.

I think the you-tube images just confirms its all an elaborate plot by modellers, they have obviously used plasticine figures and stop motion animation as per Gumby to create the illusion this 1/72 scale model has real people walking around it.

Look at the detail of that model and diorama landscape, it could fool anyone.

Smiles

so its real,

in Egypt

and its still there

So when is the UK PM going to pick up the phone, call Egypt and say "Burma's letting us dig up 20 spits, can we visit your place and dig up one p-40?"

This wreck really deserves recovery and display "as is" in the RAFM or Imperial War Museum at Duxford.

regards

Mark Pilkington

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:57 am 

Ok after reviewing the Video's, I make this aircraft a P-40E-1CU, which will narrow down the search by a fair bit (only 220 full stop to the middle east), as to the loss, it would have occured post April 1942. First deliveries of the P-40E-1CU to ME forces was in late May 1942, first confirmed loss by any unit being 29th May 1942....

After reviewing my info I have 6 possibles and one unlikely (I still not liking this 260SQN information which if it wasn't will stuff the searches up).

Shep - the Kittyhawk I/Ia of 260SQN were replaced by Kittyhawk II's in Sep 1942.

As for the damage, you'll be surprised how robust the Kittyhawk actually is, although I'm sure that stomping on the airframe is not in the Maintance guide, however the way they have removed the Ammo is fine, in one of the videos you can see they have actually got the complete removable ammo boxes in hand.

Buz

Last edited by Buz on Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:15 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The first link would not work. However, the second one did and at least it looks as if the ammo was removed without further damage to the structure. It's a pretty goog bet that the people that were removing the ammo and canisters will no doubt be back to either take the whole plane or souvenirs. A find such as this should be recovered and displayed as is, but someone with very deep pockets will probably end up with it! :drinkers:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:17 am 

Buz

Glad to hear it.

So, what is missing on the rear fusealge rack looking aft? Have no reference books with me. Is it the radio tray?

This must me the find of the decade. She has sat there for 70 years and due to the completness I recon this team were literally the first to stumble apon her otherwise other bits and pieces would be missing. She is a time capsule and should be recovered.

National lottery or other donation to the Egyption Government and get her recovered and home. She needs to be recovered and put in a secure and safe location before she is visited by others!

When we do discover a serial it will be a start. Still beleive 260Sqn due to HS (no other ME P40 squadrons had S in there codes?) Other info will be visible through photos but whether we eventually discover the pilot and fate does not sound certain with the information in the ORB's you have mentioned which relates to 260Sqn.

Looks like it is going to be a case of finding 260Sqn pilots and log books to try and ascertain who this kite belonged to!!

What a wonderful Sunday which will be better once we have a news release from RAFM/AHB now we know it was found last month!!!

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:24 am 

Here is another video...noooooooooo....looks likes she is being mistreated....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFe8CsOdoG8&feature=relmfu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:25 am 

Shep

She seems to be missing her radio, possibly her IFF and the Clock....to me this says one of two senarios.

1. Seen to have come down, quick visit by local salvage unit, left for RSU to pick up and then she's been lost either by sands covering her or just forgotten.

2. Came down, pilot knocked off the clock, he forgot where he parked her so she's been lost (pilots are rubbish navigators on the ground (VTIC)) locals ripped out the radio and IFF....(hence the sprung baggage door)....then lost to time and the sands.

I'm going for the latter as a strong possiblity. As for the serial I'm still up in air, the aircraft, after reviewing the video could have come down any time, the amount of wear is actually more than I thought, so could have been after Aug 42, just the markings have been scrubbed off. I'm really not happy saying she's a 260Sqdn aircraft as I can't make out the markings as the markings could be an 8 or 9 from an OTU markings.

Would love to know how the RAF Identified it, as I'm not seeing an easy marking for ID on the video or photos (only thing I can think off was the three cockpit plates were still in situ), please next person on the plane I need a tag from the upper wing flap recess, the rear canopy scallops, the Instrument panel, inside the cockpit walls, or the number off the left lower longeron, will take any and I can id her.

Most improtantly I don't have to take up knitting....the world is not ready for that.

Buz

Last edited by Buz on Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:39 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

What concerns me is in that link at about the 25 second mark you can see someone trying to force open the canopy. Does anyone know if the canopy was open or closed when first found? That would be of more importance than anything else! :x

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:44 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

That is so cool.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:51 am 

With the way he's trying to force it I would say it was closed and the rollers and runs are full of sand. Can't have been a major issue when the pilot put her down, as the Canopy is still there and the emergency hatch is not pushed out. To me the pilot has parked her and then after knicking the clock and closing the canopy for recovery, he's headed off and she's been abandoned and forgotten.

Here are some pictures showing aircraft that have belly landed and canopies have been closed to keep the sand out beofre recover......it was quite normal to do this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33898088@N ... hotostream

Buz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:36 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Buz wrote:
With the way he's trying to force it I would say it was closed and the rollers and runs are full of sand. Can't have been a major issue when the pilot put her down, as the Canopy is still there and the emergency hatch is not pushed out. To me the pilot has parked her and then after knicking the clock and closing the canopy for recovery, he's headed off and she's been abandoned and forgotten.

Here are some pictures showing aircraft that have belly landed and canopies have been closed to keep the sand out beofre recover......it was quite normal to do this.

Buz

That makes sense. I guess it is still to early in the morning to concentrate! :drink3:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:37 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

So, now they are using animated people. What's next, Amelia fly's it out?

BTW, can i get mine with no feathers?

Sorry, it just looked to good to be true

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:38 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Quote Henry Ford: You can have any color you want as long as its black! :drink3:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Nice! it's real. Hope it finds a great home.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jesse C. wrote:

Sorry, it just looked to good to be true

Glad to hear you've come to your senses, Jesse.

Buzz Aldrin was on the way over to knock some sense into you. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:28 pm 

Could someone on here who has a youtube account contact the guy who uploaded both of those video's and tell him what to do with the airplane?!?!?!!?!?

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/ChristopherDeshongRacing
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ChrisDRacing

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 440 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 30  Next