Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 440 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:52 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I really hope they do (or did) make an effort to properly disassemlbe it. I've heard so many tales of untrained recoevery crews "dissasembling" aircraft with axes and power saws.

Ya know, I would even support the aircraft staying in Egypt,,again, providing it's conserved and displayed properly.

SN

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:24 am 

It is true that the pilot hasn't received the same interest as the aeroplane. Hopefully there'll be closure for him, either way.

One thing that does give hope that he may have been rescued or discovered at the time, or later in the war, is the absence of the IFF gear and radios. The IFF contactor gauge is missing, and there are empty spots in the fuselage where the aforementioned gear sits. If the pilot removed the IFF gauge when he put down, it seems unlikely that he'd have pulled the radio gear from the fuselage before closing the canopy and heading off, hopefully to be rescued.

What was the procedure when crashed aircraft were located? if it wasn't in a location where recovery was feasible, was the radio and IFF gear removed? So, our man may have been able to alert others to his location, resulting in his rescue, after which various components were removed.

Here's hoping. I'm also hoping that Sutts' theory is correct.

Cheers,
Matt

See my Lee-Enfield videos at - http://www.youtube.com/user/Jollygreenslugg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:32 am 

Matt

Not totally true.

Been looking at possible missing pilots for 260Sqn (assuming it belonged to that unit with the possible visible HS codes on the pic), albeit not definitive.

Even when a serial is forthcoming this might not help as 206Sqn records (according to Buz) are so poor. We might end up with a serial, a squadron but no fixed date for loss and therefore pilot. It seems the location was so far from the front if the location is correct ('Spitfire' recorded from 20+ years ago).

This might well remain an unknown but hopefully more information will be released shortly by the discovery/recovery team or the possible private/government buyer.

Still a lot of unknowns but I would not bet against the possibility the pilot is still missing. For the aircraft to be missing for 70 years must mean the location even today is remote!

Serial and then Form 78 will be the first start point.

regards

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:49 am 

I just don't think those videos are real.

They are too good to be a typical camera phone video, and kind of strange looking for being your average quality video camera.

Something is just not right.

Those of you who believe these videos probably believed (if just for a few moments) the video of the guy last month flapping his arms and flying away.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:57 am 

mustanglover wrote:

They are too good to be a typical camera phone video, and kind of strange looking for being your average quality video camera.

Those of you who believe these videos probably believed (if just for a few moments) the video of the guy last month flapping his arms and flying away.

You're kidding right?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:57 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

JDK wrote:
Very acute post, Sutts.
Sutts wrote:
They have already made an attempt to remove the rudder (top hinge disconnected) and possibly the left elevator (access panel open).

Agree with the rest, but the P-40 rudder at a high (ground) angle of deflection often looks 'broken' / disconnected anyway. Think that's it.

Regards,

The top rudder hinge is known to break. The landing undertaken in the sands were nose high and the bottom of the tail, including the rudder, could have been the 1st to hit. Also the many years the fabric was still attached would mean the winds slamming the rudder back and forth.
I don't know if there is an access panel on the top of the horizontal. It might be damage from running over the prop/nosecase during the landing.

Remember an Injured Youth
benstear.org
#64- Stay Strong and Keep the Faith

BOOM BOOM, ROUND ROUND, PROPELLER GO

Don't Be A Dilbert!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

mustanglover wrote:

I don't 'believe' either subject. On the internal evidence, there's nothing to suggest the videos or photos of the Kittyhawk aren't real, so at the moment, I think they are. More evidence (not feelings or beliefs) welcome to change or confirm that view!
51fixer wrote:
The top rudder hinge is known to break.

Just to be clear, I was just pointing out that a normal P-40 rudder at extreme deflection often looks 'broken' to the unfamiliar eye due to the offset upper hinge. It may or may not actually be broken. However going through some pics, I can't find a good example of that 'look', so the old memory may be at fault! :rolleyes:

Regards,

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com

Last edited by JDK on Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:32 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Dan K wrote:
Jesse C. wrote:

Sorry, it just looked to good to be true

Glad to hear you've come to your senses, Jesse.

Buzz Aldrin was on the way over to knock some sense into you. :wink:

Oh Lord! And he had his dancing shoes on! NOOO!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:55 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

51fixer wrote:
JDK wrote:
Very acute post, Sutts.
Sutts wrote:
They have already made an attempt to remove the rudder (top hinge disconnected) and possibly the left elevator (access panel open).

Agree with the rest, but the P-40 rudder at a high (ground) angle of deflection often looks 'broken' / disconnected anyway. Think that's it.

Regards,

I don't know if there is an access panel on the top of the horizontal. It might be damage from running over the prop/nosecase during the landing.

I agree, that horizontal stab damage was from underneath either the prop hitting it or rock damage etc from the landing... Whoever thinks thiese videos are not real is a complete idiot! :spit

________

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:09 am 

Does any one know what they are saying in the videos? They sound just as excited and enthusiastic as one of us would be...

I just hope it gets recovered in one piece...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:41 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

peter wrote:

Whoever thinks thiese videos are not real is a complete idiot! :spit

How do you really feel, Peter? :D

Maybe we'll have some good news this week, but based on that fool standing on the windshield we'd probably all best brace ourselves for some hard news.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:43 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

great, a super find, [edited for political correctness so as not ooooofend our egyptian friends.] but Seeing the dope standing on the windscreen trying to force the canopy aft....my blood pressure skyrocketed.... :axe:

Last edited by gary1954 on Tue May 01, 2012 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:43 pm 

Sutts wrote:
mustanglover wrote:

You're kidding right?

nope

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:57 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Never realized how much Buzz looks like Dennis Hopper! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:42 am 

Bit more posted by someone there

The Egyptian government have been informed by the military. The army took only ammunition of the airplane to not hit the wrong hands. At the moment the plane is in the same state as in the movie. there is practically no possibility of the devastation of this plane because it is army complex - patrolled by the army.
The plane was found incidentally - do not do the explorations..
in mid-April, I'll try to go to the place where the plane - it will put more videos.

or now, I found this information:
AIRPLANE H87A-3
PART NO. 87-69-714R
CAL. 50, CAP.155 RDS
R.H. GUN BOX NO 2
I have a few pictures from the cockpit - I will try to end the week to include them on the internet - give them a link

regards

Mark

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 440 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 30  Next