Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

ZRX61 wrote:
Rob.Brindley wrote:
D-FWMV: Is this the new chrome cowled 190 at MeierMotors?

Wondering the same thing, who owns this aircraft & who worked on it?

A) Don't know and B) Not for me they won't

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:38 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The Inspector wrote:
Now THAT is a very frightening concept to ponder!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
For those who don't know 'A' rivets are dead soft, AD's are pretty much the standard structural rivet.

I looked at the pics at 300% size & can't see any dimples.... but they *could* be filled with paint....

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:55 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The Inspector wrote:
Mark Allen M wrote:
Mr. Inspector et al, very good summation IMHO. Could it be that the poster in question in your discussions may be involved with the issue? Just saying! :wink:

That very thought came to mind with his first 'defensive posture' posting, I tend to believe there's some serious three legged cat in loose sand going on here. 8)

to what end?

"I knew the jig was up when I saw the P-51D-20-NA Mustang blue-nosed bastards from Bodney, and by the way the blue was more of a royal blue than an indigo and the inner landing gear interiors were NOT green, over Berlin."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:08 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

muddyboots wrote:
The Inspector wrote:
Mark Allen M wrote:
Mr. Inspector et al, very good summation IMHO. Could it be that the poster in question in your discussions may be involved with the issue? Just saying! :wink:

That very thought came to mind with his first 'defensive posture' posting, I tend to believe there's some serious three legged cat in loose sand going on here. 8)

to what end?

Someone trying to cover his butt....?

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:45 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

On WIX. That'll help. :roll:

"I knew the jig was up when I saw the P-51D-20-NA Mustang blue-nosed bastards from Bodney, and by the way the blue was more of a royal blue than an indigo and the inner landing gear interiors were NOT green, over Berlin."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:47 pm 

ZRX61 wrote:
Rob.Brindley wrote:

@Rob.Brindley: Yes, it is, it was at MeierMotors, delivered to customer late last year.
@ZRX61: All I do know is, it belongs to a German customer (AFAIK), identity unknown so far (at least not common knowledge). You will not get any info who it is, if he doesn´t want to say so. Who worked on it? I´d like to know myself.
@all: Does it look like it was done like this during original production, or might it be some repair, or simply impossible to say by the pics alone? Just curious....

Michael

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:38 pm 

redvanner wrote:
ZRX61 wrote:
Rob.Brindley wrote:

@Rob.Brindley: Yes, it is, it was at MeierMotors, delivered to customer late last year.
@ZRX61: All I do know is, it belongs to a German customer (AFAIK), identity unknown so far (at least not common knowledge). You will not get any info who it is, if he doesn´t want to say so. Who worked on it? I´d like to know myself.
@all: Does it look like it was done like this during original production, or might it be some repair, or simply impossible to say by the pics alone? Just curious....

Michael

I'm guessing that this was done during assembly, since most of the damaged rivet buck tails are covered with grey paint that matches the rest of the structure, but I could be wrong.

-Pat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:58 pm 

Does anybody know what kind of rivets they use on the German aircraft? Did they use AN/MS or some equivalent? They being Flug werk or who ever might do repair work on those aircraft.
Just curious as to the old and or current standard?
Thx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:50 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The .pdf hyperlink in the first post includes "After a few flights being flown within prescribed limits (max. 450km/h, 3g)".

Are these Speed/G limits the maximum for these aircraft or just the limits for a particular flight testing phase?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:24 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

mike furline wrote:
The .pdf hyperlink in the first post includes "After a few flights being flown within prescribed limits (max. 450km/h, 3g)".

Are these Speed/G limits the maximum for these aircraft or just the limits for a particular flight testing phase?

Don't know about the Germans but in the UK for Warbirds you have some paperwork that gets approved and it states limits for speed and Gs. They are called Airworthiness Approval Notes.
Sample here for a Spitfire-
http://www.caa.co.uk/aandocs/20279/20279000000.pdf
I suspect under the EASA rules which has become the standard for the European countries it is the same for German registered aircraft which lack a standard airworthiness certificate such as homebuilts and warbirds.

Remember an Injured Youth
benstear.org
#64- Stay Strong and Keep the Faith

BOOM BOOM, ROUND ROUND, PROPELLER GO

Don't Be A Dilbert!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:19 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

51fixer wrote:
mike furline wrote:

Don't know about the Germans but in the UK for Warbirds you have some paperwork that gets approved and it states limits for speed and Gs. They are called Airworthiness Approval Notes.
Sample here for a Spitfire-
http://www.caa.co.uk/aandocs/20279/20279000000.pdf
I suspect under the EASA rules which has become the standard for the European countries it is the same for German registered aircraft which lack a standard airworthiness certificate such as homebuilts and warbirds.

Thanks for the info..

450kmh/280mph & 3G just seem to be on the low end for this type of aircraft. 450km/280mph VNE???
Then again, if only 3G's has caused the wing spar damage.....???

Last edited by mike furline on Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:45 am 

Interesting document about the Spitfire. The Spit TR9 I flew in had a placard in the rear cockpit. "Maximum diving speed 370Kts IAS".
The document mentioned they had to add weight to the tail to get the correct CG, I think if they had put a book shelf in the unused radio rack and put in all the documents generated in this rebuild, they wouldn't have needed any lead at all.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:45 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Mike Halbrook wrote:
Interesting document about the Spitfire. The Spit TR9 I flew in had a placard in the rear cockpit. "Maximum diving speed 370Kts IAS".
The document mentioned they had to add weight to the tail to get the correct CG, I think if they had put a book shelf in the unused radio rack and put in all the documents generated in this rebuild, they wouldn't have needed any lead at all.

It all depends on where it is registered and what the bureaucrats deem is required. Each country and even different aircraft of the same species may end up different.
A while back new spar booms were extruded using an Alum Alloy that ended up testing less than the original. Those ended up with more restrictive speed and G loads IIRC.
I would guess every Spitfire has weight in the back since they all differ from the early models. Each improvement in power brought a larger, heavier engine and prop. The nose extended forward but the tail stayed pretty much in the same spot. To balance the titter-totter you add weight to the aft end.
The Bald Eagle thread has some pics of the Mk XVIII weight installation some where back a few pages.

Remember an Injured Youth
benstear.org
#64- Stay Strong and Keep the Faith

BOOM BOOM, ROUND ROUND, PROPELLER GO

Don't Be A Dilbert!