Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:12 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Taigh Ramey wrote:
The photos show what looks to me like a Goodyear Airwheels like what was used on the early Beech 18's of the time. The Airwheels were pretty small as shown in the photo and also used a multiple disc type of brake pack. The wheel in question here looks to me to be a lot larger and used a drum type of brake.

It would be fairly simple to scale up the wheel in the photo and compare it to the wheel here if we had a known outside dimension of the wheel in the 1937 photo or some other item in close proximity like the gear leg. Anyone have ready access to the correct Lockheed landing gear?

Lockheed Model 10 had a U lower gear leg on the MLG. The axel was connected to both inner and outer end.
The Model 12 landing gear lower leg is more of a L shape. The axel is connected on one side only. The Dzuz springs hold a wheel cover in place that covers the outboard side of the wheel.
Did the Model 12 landing gear or lower leg get installed on AE's Model 10?
Hawaii pic shows the U shape gear lower leg.

Remember an Injured Youth
benstear.org
#64- Stay Strong and Keep the Faith

BOOM BOOM, ROUND ROUND, PROPELLER GO

Don't Be A Dilbert!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:46 pm 

"Goodyear Airwheels and heavy duty tires were standard equipment on all Lockheed Model 10 Electras. The size was 35x15-6. The 35 refers to the uncompressed height of the tire, the 15 refers to the width across the face of the tire, and the 6 is the diameter of the opening in the middle of the tire, all in inches. Lockheed publication EE1135 revised 5/1/36." This info is from the Tighar website, but I've no reason to believe it is incorrect.

The wheel shown in the photos above has an inside diameter of 13 inches. If the above info is the case, then this is not a Lockheed 10 wheel.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:24 pm 

There is a good discussion and pictures of Earhart's landing gear over here:

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Research/Bulletins/58_NessieHypothesis/58_NessieHypothesis.htm

I count 8 "fins" on the posters rim, while I count 10 "fins" on the Model 10 picture.

1952 Ford F6 Howe Fire Truck
1951 Ford F5
1949 Ford F6 Dump Truck
1978 Ford Mustang II
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle
1949 Ford 8N; 1948, 1949 & 1950 Baird Beavers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:38 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

51fixer wrote:
Wheel appears to be from Lockheed Model 12-
http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guida ... /TC616.pdf
Check Item 43.

Model 12 TCDS.
Item 43 is under Landing Gear and Floats-

11.00-12 wheels (Hayes 1101A or 1102A)

Item 44
11.00-12 tires (Goodrich) 8 ply and Plain tubes

Item 45
11.00-12 cactus proof tubes

Items 60-62 list list 30x13-6 Rim, Tire and Tube as allowable for use on the Model 12.

These are listed for the Model 12. I don't know if the 11.00-12 rims were used on any other A/C from that era but it isn't list on the FAA TCDS for the Model 10. Only 1 size Rim and Tire is.
Unless some special modification was made to EA Model 10 then these couldn't have been used on her A/C.
The best that could be said is it came from an aircraft that was similar to AE's. That is the Model 12.

BTW- The FAA TCDS is a list of all the equipment the Manufacture allows to be installed on a particular model of A/C. For a Standard Category A/C this becomes the bible for ensuring the equipment installed on any A/C is the proper part. There are ways to legally modify or install something not on the list.

Remember an Injured Youth
benstear.org
#64- Stay Strong and Keep the Faith

BOOM BOOM, ROUND ROUND, PROPELLER GO

Don't Be A Dilbert!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:17 pm 

Ok, just got off the phone with my grand father and he confirmed it was indeed Burbank, Ca. that the tire was changed by his father who worked for BF Goodrich in Glendale, Ca. and that they went out to Burbank, Ca. to change the tires on AE's plane. It's hard for him to remember any more information since he was only 8 years old at the time and is now 82. He said he has no paper work, just what his father told him. I'm just interested in finding out if this was indeed somehow tied to AE. I'm sure lots of people try to say they have something just to get money, but I'm honestly just curious. I mean if its worth something, then great, if not, oh well, it's still old and pretty neat :). Thank you all by the way for the research and info!