Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:40 am 

Am hoping somebody here might be able to help me.... I've started CAD drawing an F-4E front instrument panel based on what little information I can find in the currently available flight manuals & online images, but am now at the point where the lack of accuracy is really bothering me & I'd really like to try & get hold of some dimensions from a reliable source.

So... does anyone happen to have or have access to a front panel from a known model of Phantom that they could possibly measure for me? At this stage basically any accurate measurement would be helpful.. obviously more dimensions would be better, but even just the panel width would at this stage give me something to work with.

Any help GREATLY appreciated!

Jason

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:11 am 

Hi Jason,
I'm don't have time before work today but will measure my F-4S (Navy/Marine) panel and post dimensions tomorrow (unless some beats me to it). They should be the same size as the AF models.

Cheers,
Brian

PS Posted while drinking a soft drink in my Aussie stubbie holder.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:14 am 

Kudzu wrote:
Hi Jason,
I'm don't have time before work today but will measure my F-4S (Navy/Marine) panel and post dimensions tomorrow (unless some beats me to it). They should be the same size as the AF models.

Hello Brian... if you could do that for me I certainly would appreciate it very much. Yes, I think an F-4S panel should have the same basic dimensions as an F-4E panel. Just an accurate measurement of the panels width would be a huge help at this stage, and a height measurement in the centre would be a bonus?

I have to accept that unless I have an original F-4E panel with the instruments removed to spend a few hours measuring up, my drawing isn't going to be accurate anyway, but I have a reasonable panel illustration out of one of the flight manuals that I can scale to if I have a single known dimension to start with.

Anyway... thanks very much & I'll standby for you to finish work!

Jason

:drink3:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:34 am 

Hi,
Here are some dimensions for you and anyone else interested. Panel width = 23 1/2" , height from bottom of gunsight cutout to bottom of panel face (not including mounting brackets ) = 11 11/16" , round engine instruments = 2", airspeed / mach meter = 3 1/4" x 3 1/4", ADI & HSI are 5" wide x 5 1/4" high.
Hope this helps, just remember the instrument sizes are of the faces, not the actual hole in the panel. You should be able to find some cad or dim drawings for these online. If not PM me and I'll remove what you need on my panel to measure the holes.

Good luck,
Hope to make it back over one day to see the HARS Connie fly.

:drink3: :drink3: :drink3:
(one for each tail ! )

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:22 am 

Thanks very much Brian.. that is a huge help & greatly appreciated!

Do get in contact with me if you get down this way again.

Jason