Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:49 pm 

As a long time lurker of this Board I have a question/statement: I notice you guys are always quick to get upset when a warbird is in the weeds, neglected or otherwise in need of restoration BUT when it comes to the Soplata birds you guys have a hands off attitude...one of "reverence" and "protection." To protect the family from interlopers and those seeking to obtain something from the collection...even those that have money and are prepared to stand up and are not looking for something free!

- I am not trying to stir up any waves and perhaps this is just me thinking this....

If it was some old codger that had an F-86 in his backyard in Louisiana, you guys would be fired up to find someone to get it and have it donated to a museum for restorations/preservation.

In my mind, there isn't going to be one single person or museum that would want the entire collection. The planes are in fact rotting away and are in need of someone to start going through there and sorting. The family seems like they think the collection is worth many more times what it actually might be on the market.

Like I said, its not my stuff, not my call nor I am not sentimental about the lot as they seem to be. Just my random thought(s).

*I'm sure I am about to get slammed for talking this way and banned from the board. :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:04 pm 

I wont slam you, everything you just stated is perfectly true!.....i agree one hundred percent!....valid points....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:40 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Its all true and valid points, but...... The collection is still there's. One of Walters dreams was to have the whole collection stay together but from someone who has been there, I really don't think any one/institution would take on the whole lot. Yes it is a shame that they are just sitting there. Some of the family members would like to liquidate it but Mrs. Soplata still has final say on all matters. There has been scuttle about someone..... doing an inventory of what's there and to give an accurate and fair estimate. To many of us the B-25 that still resides there would be worth at most $20-25k and of course to the family it is worth way more. We've all been there where something we had we thought was worth more than it really was. I live not to far from the collection and yes it aches me to see them sitting. But there may be something happening with the collection in not to distant.future. When the aircraft were moved to the property there wasn't any trees and very few houses, now there are many houses and trees about 4-5 ft. in diameter and even a few bigger ones.

Last edited by cooper9411 on Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:42 pm 

any pics of the p47....cant find any

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:49 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

There was/is only a P-47 fuselage and last I seen it, it was sitting on the ground. Tri-State had some discussion with Walt about it but I guess they couldn't agree on an amount. Not any recent pictures but I'm sure there are a few floating around on the web.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:28 pm 

Does anyone have an good inventory of what they have? I would think the recent pics coming out of the yard the last 2 years would allow a pretty good list....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:47 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The pictures coming out the last 2 years were obtained by trespassing! As of now there is not a complete inventory list. There is way to much stuff that needs to be moved to gain access to the rest of the inventory. Everybody will be excited and in awe when everything on the property is revealed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:03 am 

Yes, I am aware of the pics posted as obtained through trespassing....and that makes us bad folks for looking at them anyway? Trying to get a best guess of what's out there with them...an inventory.... seems pretty logical to me.

Isn't that what this Board is all about? Trying to see what is out there? Following the leads...tracking down whispers...gathering data via any means possible....bringing objects to light so everyone can enjoy them!

"excited and in awe" might not be the best statements from the general warbird community....I would think "sad and heartbroken" - seeing all those airframes rotting away and misc. parts crushed under the weight of other stuff on top of it.

"Wow look at that, a nice tail gear fitting for a XP-82....dang, I wish I would have had that instead of spending 200 man hours milling a replacement for my Twin Mustang!"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hueyfan wrote:
*I'm sure I am about to get slammed for talking this way and banned from the board. :(

No you shouldn't be getting slammed and no you shouldn't get banned for making some valid statements, but most likely what you will get is more than you bargained for as far as the meaning of "private property" and "it's theirs to do as they please" lectures.

I completely agree that it's a shame in general to see old airplanes begin to desolve back into the earth, but it's also a shame I'm getting older and pay too much in taxes each year. That's life for you.

"We can't save them all" has been used over and over on this site and the family who own those machines, unfortunately for some here, have a right to do as they wish with their stuff.

Regurgitated once again.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

until you've been their legally you have no idea as to the scope & magnitude of history that sits within. huey, your points are right & valid, however the entire estate is mired in govt. alphabet soup..... epa, irs on & on........

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:56 pm 

will somebody help me out with a picture or two of the p47 fuselage?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:51 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

camshaw wrote:
will somebody help me out with a picture or two of the p47 fuselage?

If you can give me a couple of days I'll see if I can locate the one took.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:14 pm 

camshaw - see pm......Leon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I will loan you my pics from 2003, just pm your address

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:47 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

IMHO the stuff there is still in good shape and will always be. Anything can be refurbished.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next