Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:21 am 

Steve - The third photo is the aft section of the B-36 with DC-7 prop blades resting in front. The cut out engine in last photo looks like another DC-7 engine - but only a guess...The prop blades are probably from the DC-7 he obtained from Ortner's Air Service of Wakeman Ohio....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:19 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The Cutlass is still there and looks to be the same spot. The Invader I did not see, doesn't mean its not there as a lot of the area is overgrown with brush and trees. There also are sheets of metal covering a lot of items there and I was unable to gain access to. :drink3:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:29 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

OK...I'm back to my original view of what the big chunk astern of the Peacemaker is...in fact it's not "astern" of the Peacemaker at all...it's the stern of the Peacemaker! What looks in the pix like a flatter lower section looks, blown-up, more like the remains of the white antiflash paint the B-36 fleet wore on the undersides.

Walter did have a bunch of bits of a C-124; I think he said it was the Bradley Air Museum example that was blasted to pieces by the 1979 tornado. The piece behind the '36 is far too cylindrical to be C-124. I alternately thought B-36, C-46, or C-97, as Walter had parts of all three types on site...have now settled on B-36.

The engine, I think, may be P-47; the top cowl looks P-47, and the "bobbed" prop looks like a Curtiss Electric with the typically-T'bolt short cuffs at the blade roots. Or could it be Helldiver?

The A-26 was visible in the circa-2000 aerial photos widely posted, and looked to be in the same spot I saw it in in '82; I expect it's still at Newbury. The Cutlass looks like it hasn't moved one inch.

Anyone have any thoughts about Walt's American Eagle biplane?

I'll close by saying I hope a number of the relics are eventually gathered, restored, and displayed indoors in a museum that specifically pays tribute to Walter and the family...

S.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:47 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

When I spoke with Walt back in 2007 he said he would like to see all of the collection stay together and go to a new home, restored but never flown. :drinkers:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:02 pm 

Hello Gentleman,

Pardon the interruption in your conversation but I would like to ask for some advice from this group. I have been researching and reading about this amazing collection of war planes. My research has leaded me to this forum and the reason for my login.

Please let me state at that I have the utmost respect for your group.

I am an armature photographer (not professional only for my own interests). Would love to contact the family to request permission to access this amazing collection and take photos. I totally understand if they refuse and have tired of the public approaching them.

If I am able to gain access with permission I would of course be humbled and honored to share all photos with the family.

I will be in the area in about 10 days and hope to somehow make contact with Wally Soplata or another family member for permission.

If you have any advice I would be grateful.

I also understand if you are offended and want nothing but to ban me from the group.
I apologize if I have in any way angered or offended anyone.

Sincerely,

Linda Vierow Columbus Ohio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:48 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Linda,
Mr Soplata passed away several years ago, but if someone on here knows how to contact the family, I am sure they will let you know, but after the last one, they might not be willing.

Check out the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:52 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

It would be good to see the CF100 cockpit section repatriated back to Canada..

________

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:02 pm 

Matt Gunsch,

Thank you for your reply.

I am aware of Mr. Soplata's death. I was referring to his son, I believe his name is Wally as well. I found this article he wrote regarding the collection.

http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-f ... -22000009/

Not sure what you meant when you said "I am sure they will let you know, but after the last one, they might not be willing." ??

thanks again,
Linda

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:57 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

a photographer recently published a series of photos saying they were abandoned, they did not have permission to be on the property, or publish the photos.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:12 am 

Linda - Welcome aboard. Wally was a pilot in USAF and - I believe - retired now. If you want photos, just Google: Walter Soplata, or you can also go to "Aerial Visuals" website and go to the "Locator" to find many photos... :) Leon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:17 am 

It is unfortunate some photographers make it hard on the rest of us.

Woodsy,
I would like to make my own photos to represent my own vision of the collection.
It is a hobby, passion of mine. Always learning and hopefully improving.
Thought it unfortunate that I picked photography with all the expensive cameras, lenses etc.
Glad to meet a group that has a more $$ hobby than me!!
LInda

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:33 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Linda, unfortunately some very unscrupulous individuals have ruined it for the majority of us who understand and appreciate Warbirds. The guy who claimed to have stumbled onto the collection that was " abandoned and forgotten" has actually trespassed onto private property. Once the Soplata famy was made aware of the article they contacted the publisher who instantly took it down. Last I heard from the family they were contemplating criminal charges. Last I heard Wally was an airline pilot and the family is not allowing visitors onto the property and has recently purchased adjoining properties to better watch over the collection. Within the last year a person who didn't get what they wanted with the collection contacted a couple of government agencies just trying to be spiteful. So now you can see why there is no one allowed onto the property. And last time I was there I was allowed onto the property as long as I had no camera on me and left my phone in the truck. Right now I don't think would be a good time to try and contact the family. Walters widow has been dealing with some health issues so the rest of the family is rallying around her. Linda, you and all the rest of us would enjoy taking pictures of our own but its not to be.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:56 am 

Ugh! That's horrible, I totally understand and thanks so much for taking the time to inform me of past events.
Sounds like they have been through enough.
Maybe some day they will open it back up to the public. I can only hope!
Linda

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Steve T wrote:
One of about five extant F7Us, it's F7U-3 129683 iirc, and would be a splendid addition to, say, the Vought-themed museum in Connecticut

I like the way you think Steve! :supz:

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:46 pm 

what airframes are left? any lists floating around?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next