Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Any updates for the Soplata collection

Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:13 pm

I dont think this topic has been mentioned in awhile. Has their been any news on what is happening with the remaining airframes?

Re: Any updates for the Soplata collection

Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:16 pm

Pat Carry wrote:I dont think this topic has been mentioned in awhile. Has their been any news on what will happen with the remaining airframes?

I have not heard anything other than what I posted awhile back. I believe the Mrs. Soplata still does not want to do anything with the collection as of yet. It sure would be great for het to witness her husbands passion relocated to an institution where they could be restored they way her late husband had envisioned.

Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:40 pm

Thanks Paul. I somehow missed your Soplata update posted here on Dec 10th. Sounds like there are still some real treasures there.

Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:52 pm

Refresh my memory, what airframes in the last, lets say 10 years have been removed/purchased from the property? I know about the P-82 Reilly has. There have been others, right?

Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:29 pm

The F-82 is gone, two B-25's are gone, two Corsairs are gone. I'll try to post a list of what I saw when I was there. The P-47, P-39, P-63 fuselages are all still there. Rumor has it that Walt also has a couple of disassembled aircraft that he stored in his lower level of the house. There were all kinds of parts and pieces scattered throughout the property. I recall counting at least 8 radial engines just laying aound and one was still attached to a stand. I've heard that the family is being very hesitant here recently, supposedly there have been many people and so called "organizations" that have been calling or dropping in non stop. If it was me, I'd find this very annoying and disrespectful. I'm sure one day the collection will go to a good caring home. :drinkers:

Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:34 pm

Thanks Paul. Where are the B-25's and Corsairs today?

Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:43 pm

I think the one B-25 went to Yagen and is named 'Wild Cargo", A26 B still there, three different skyraiders are still there, two TBM Avengers still there, :drink3: :drink3: :drink3:

Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:03 pm

Off the top of my head, this is what has left:

B-25 "Wild Cargo" now at MAM
F2G Super Corsair 'Race 74'
XP-82 Twin Mustang now with Tom Reilly
FG-1D Corsair- private owner in California
F-82 Twin Mustang under restoration with C&P Aviation
F-84F now with MAPS Air Museum
O-52 with a private owner in Indiana

I'm sure I'm missing some...

Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:20 pm

F2G is at Odegaard's.

Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:13 pm

I clearly read both B-25s are gone.....we are familiar with Wild Cargo, now, where did the other one go?

Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:40 pm

Is it Lucky Lady With C&P or was it BETTYS DREAM Ex C&P?

Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:34 pm

seaknight15 wrote:Is it Lucky Lady With C&P or was it BETTYS DREAM Ex C&P?

ummmm.don't think so

Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:42 am

I don't know but the one still there is marked 708 on both sides of the nose.

Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:47 am

gary1954 wrote:I clearly read both B-25s are gone.....we are familiar with Wild Cargo, now, where did the other one go?

When I was there in September 2011 there was a B-25 still sitting there

Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:54 am

One of his BT-13's is in my shop. Sure wish I could have met him...
Post a reply