Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:02 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Anyone have a shot of Enola Gay at Park Ridge? Earl Reinert once showed me a photo of the plane there with him poking his head out of the cockpit window; wish I had a copy of that!

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:20 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

An old book I have titled "The Aircraft Treasures of Silver Hill" by Walter Boyne has a picture of the Swoose inside the Dodge aircraft plant at Park Ridge, but not a picture of the Enola Gay at that location...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:25 pm 

Would anyone happen to know what this item is? To me, it looks like a clear dome/cover over some type of optic???

It is present on the aircraft while on Tinian as seen here during bomb loading of "Little Boy", so I don't guess it is something added later in her service life;

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:11 am 

Got an answer to the above... B3 Drift Meter :supz:

Now, how about this opening? Pressurization outflow valve opening? A light for the bomb bay area??

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:51 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

No idea on the circled item AFWHITE (light perhaps?), but I also note this provides great detail of the filled in turret area. So it looks like if you checked the Silverplate/turret delete option at the Omaha dealer, it looks like you got a robust plug- not sure if they tried to gouge you with the floor mats and undercoating :D I note the double set of rivets around the perimeter of the plug. So is this a hard rivet, or am I just seeing robust double row of rivets along the perimeter of the plug and the plug was bolted in place? I note the rivet patterns on the plug match the fuselage rivet lines, perhaps suggesting frames underneath that connect to the fuselage frames? I imagine with more time a single flush skin in the area would have been easier/lighter, but the plug was expedient without a major tech change.

So in summary, were the Silverplate turret plugs essentially permanent, ie hard riveted?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:23 pm 

sandiego89 wrote:
No idea on the circled item AFWHITE (light perhaps?), but I also note this provides great detail of the filled in turret area. So it looks like if you checked the Silverplate/turret delete option at the Omaha dealer, it looks like you got a robust plug- not sure if they tried to gouge you with the floor mats and undercoating :D I note the double set of rivets around the perimeter of the plug. So is this a hard rivet, or am I just seeing robust double row of rivets along the perimeter of the plug and the plug was bolted in place? I note the rivet patterns on the plug match the fuselage rivet lines, perhaps suggesting frames underneath that connect to the fuselage frames? I imagine with more time a single flush skin in the area would have been easier/lighter, but the plug was expedient without a major tech change.

So in summary, were the Silverplate turret plugs essentially permanent, ie hard riveted?

Yes, the Silverplate aircraft were built as such, and were not intended to be reverted back to "normal" production type B-29s with turrets.

I always wondered why they just didn't run flush "skin" over the areas that housed the turrets, and I believe it was simply a matter of getting them built expeditiously. The structural members were already in place (engineering studies complete, etc.) and it was simply a matter of creating large "patches" to cover the areas rather than re-engineer new structural ribs and stringers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:30 pm 

I think the other opening (circled item) is an outflow valve for pressure checking the vacuum and de-ice system...not positive but just from looking at this schematic;

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:02 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The circled item y'all are looking at is the bubble for the drift meter.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:12 pm 

Brad wrote:
The circled item y'all are looking at is the bubble for the drift meter.

Yeah, on the port side, we discerned that. Starboard side though?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:18 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

AFWhite wrote:

That is the opening for the flare chute on the right side.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:51 am 

Brad wrote:
AFWhite wrote:

OK, cool. Thanks for the info Brad. I do recall seeing a small access door on the floor next to the turret housing in another photo.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:03 pm 

Brad wrote:
AFWhite wrote:

Brad, did the B-29 have two flare ports, an upper, and a lower??

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:10 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

This is the flare chute that was damaged by flak that lead to the tragic but amazingly heroic Red Irwin story.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_E._Erwin

http://www.homeofheroes.com/wings/erwin.html

The upper one was for the M-8 flare pistol

We brought her from: Image to this in 3 months: Image Help us get her all the way back Image

All donations are tax deductible as the Stockton Field Aviation Museum is a 501c3 nonprofit organization. Tell a friend as the Harpoon needs all the help she can get.

Thank you!

Taigh Ramey
Vintage Aircraft, Stockton, California
http://www.twinbeech.com
'KEEP ‘EM FLYING…FOR HISTORY!'

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:31 pm 

Taigh Ramey wrote:
This is the flare chute that was damaged by flak that lead to the tragic but amazingly heroic Red Irwin story.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_E._Erwin

http://www.homeofheroes.com/wings/erwin.html

The upper one was for the M-8 flare pistol

Holy cow, what a story!

OK, I understand the difference between the two ports now.

As a side note, in some of the P-3 Orions I flew on, they had that same flare pistol port assembly in place in the overhead. It made for a good "beer" question for the "nuggets".

Thanks for the info.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6