Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:45 am 

Sad way / some may say unpopular way to dispose of the famous RAAF F-111 fleet in 2011 - turned into "rubbish" and buried at a disposal site in QLD .... in a coal mine area???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNIAtygtUds

Graphic warning will make adults cry.

Even some went to their pit with cockpits attached!

What do american warbirders think of this? Better than the F-14 shredders?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:59 am 

Fine if they really want to destroy the airframe.

But in today's "enlightened" era, recycling that high-quality aluminum would be better than just burying it. That doesn't make sense.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The real reason? That answer is @ 55 seconds into the video 'as part of the agreement with the U.S. Government'
I agree that if they want to get rid of them, shred them and recycle the metal, or is that too much like forward thinking for the DoD??

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:10 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Criminal. At least they should have been recycled.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:10 pm 

50 years from now, on the new WIX forum; someone will post hearing about rumors of buried Bombers in Australia. And there will be a chorus of "NO WAY"; "I'll believe it when I see it"; "You're crazy!"; ect ect. There will be flame wars and finger pointing and and all sorts of "facts" and opinions; until finally someone gets an excavator and digs in the wrong spot and "Proves" that the stories were rubbish and there are no buried nuclear bombers in Australia.

Kinda like all the stories of buried WW2 Aircraft.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:20 pm 

jmkendall wrote:
50 years from now, on the new WIX forum; someone will post hearing about rumors of buried Bombers in Australia. And there will be a chorus of "NO WAY"; "I'll believe it when I see it"; "You're crazy!"; ect ect. There will be flame wars and finger pointing and and all sorts of "facts" and opinions; until finally someone gets an excavator and digs in the wrong spot and "Proves" that the stories were rubbish and there are no buried nuclear bombers in Australia.

No way. People on WIX would never act like that. C'mon....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:21 pm 

I'm not sure what the fuss is about. An Aviation Archeologist's dream in 100 years. We've got more old birds rotting away on sticks or on the side of the road we can't preserve. I'm not sure why we should expect that to change now?

It's about money and desire, and despite us dreamers who wish we had the money to save old airplanes, the reality is it just isn't there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Now, a forward thinking guy would be busy pickling TF-30 engines :roll: :supz: :supz:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:00 pm 
No Longer Active - per request

Dan Johnson II wrote:
It's about money and desire, and despite us dreamers who wish we had the money to save old airplanes, the reality is it just isn't there.

Or Govt indifference, spite, etc

Same mindset that saw the ADF Leopard tanks disposed of as lawn ornaments. The oil drained from engines and then run until they seized, all fire control & optics left in situ and the hatches welded shut.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:44 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

CDF wrote:
Dan Johnson II wrote:

Or Govt indifference, spite, etc

Same mindset that saw the ADF Leopard tanks disposed of as lawn ornaments. The oil drained from engines and then run until they seized, all fire control & optics left in situ and the hatches welded shut.

Far better if they were scrapped I guess :roll: - same thing happened to a lot of WWII armour which wouldn't be around today if they weren't given ornamental duty initially. Unfortunately some very rare ones still are , but that is a whole other story.

https://www.classicwings.com/

Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicWingsMagazine/

Preserved Axis Aircraft

http://www.classicwings.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:20 pm 

DaveM2 wrote:
same thing happened to a lot of WWII armour which wouldn't be around today if they weren't given ornamental duty initially

Well two of the four Valetine tanks in NZ today came from Australia - one from a farm in WA, the other from a collector in Vic, none from public display. In fact I can't think of many WW2 tanks on public display here other than a lone Matilda

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:16 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

CDF wrote:
DaveM2 wrote:
same thing happened to a lot of WWII armour which wouldn't be around today if they weren't given ornamental duty initially

Well two of the four Valetine tanks in NZ today came from Australia - one from a farm in WA, the other from a collector in Vic, none from public display. In fact I can't think of many WW2 tanks on public display here other than a lone Matilda

I'm talking globally, especially Europe.

Facebook

Preserved Axis Aircraft

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:43 pm 

DaveM2 wrote:

The only complete, useable, running WW2 tanks to come out of Europe were the former serb M18's and M36's out of Bosnia in the 1990's. The Shermans you see at events in France and the UK are either recovered MoD range wrecks or in the case of Stuarts, imports from Brazil.

I don't accept the premise however that this (near the Amberley caravan park)

Is somehow better than being scrapped :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:01 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

CDF wrote:
DaveM2 wrote:

The only complete, useable, running WW2 tanks to come out of Europe were the former serb M18's and M36's out of Bosnia in the 1990's. The Shermans you see at events in France and the UK are either recovered MoD range wrecks or in the case of Stuarts, imports from Brazil.

I don't accept the premise however that this (near the Amberley caravan park)

Is somehow better than being scrapped :roll:

Of course it is 'somehow better than being scrapped' -it exists which means there is hope for it.
I don't think you get what I am saying-many WWII vehicles WOULD NOT EXIST TODAY, if they hadn't been used post war as ornaments. If they exist they can be restored- pritty obvious isn't it? I don't care if they are or are not 'operational' There is a King Tiger out doors in Belgium, along with several Panthers, to name a few. Should they be indoors?-of course, and one day they maybe-unles they are 'scrapped.' Aberdeen Proving Grounds is slowly moving their in many cases, unique vehicles to a better life after years outdoors - better they don't exist?

By the same token many aircraft would not exist (especially historic, if not for being 'displayed' as per the Canberra). You would rather they be scrapped precluding any chance of being rebuilt or at best used for parts? Just as well the people who pulled the Fireflies out of Ethiopia, the P-47s out of South America, the Spitfires out of Myanmar don't have your attitude!

Tell that to the guys on here who are putting their blood sweat and tears into restoring the Corsair which was on a pole for decades.

You will be first in line to chop up and melt down the Canberra then I suppose, before someone or some group with the can do attitude comes along and gives it another chance.

If you think like that, you are on the wrong forum mate.

Facebook

Preserved Axis Aircraft

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:18 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

The Inspector wrote:
Now, a forward thinking guy would be busy pickling TF-30 engines :roll: :supz: :supz:

....And it was very nice of the Thiess waste disposal folks to point out they had taken pains to mark the GPS positions of the Aardvarks so they would NEVER be dug up!

Bwaaaa...Haaaa....Haaaa!!!! :twisted:

Release the HACKERS!!!!! :twisted:
(Apologies to Liam Neeson for the Texas drawl....) :wink:

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF