Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

robb, those invasive foreign **^^$$#_!! pests are at every depth, you can't even hardly walk on any great lakes beach or wade in the water without cutting your tootsies. picture 30'000 of your thumb nails per square foot on a rotting relic...... physics will eventually prevail. doesn't the naval aviation museum have marine biologists that can back up the deterioration process & the limited salvage time window?? or are they messing with guppies & gold fish?? best, tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:13 am 

Col. Rohr wrote:
Hi All,

Till I get some sort of guidance from Scott I'm not going to call this a official Wix project remember its his board and we need his sign off on it to become an official project till then I will keep doing what I do best.

RER

What is the status of this project Rob?

regards,

t~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:04 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I, too, am curious. This thread was started when I was on an extended out-of-towner--saw it for the first time today!

One tiny, little technical tweak to Taras L's "White Paper": PBM #59172 (that is, what remains of her) at the bottom of Lake Washington isn't the only remaining example of a Mariner. She is, of course, the only known remaining PBM-5 flying boat--a -5A amphib is looked after nicely by the kind folks at Pima.

(Ok, morphing back out of anal-retentive mode now...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:30 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Hi Lads,

Sorry, just got in. Boy has this thing taken off. Give everybody a little encouragement and look what happens. I had no idea that the archeological recovery issue was waiting in the wings. Great!

Perhaps we should divide up the duties somewhat. My initial thoughts were more directed at an emergancy response/preservation effort. In that light, we should try to gather a list of all qualified warbird pilots here in the US. Next, warbird owners private and foundation. Then the most important step is to querry them to see if they are onboard with the concept. If we get poo-pooed by them, this part of the project is junk. We need them to be on board in order to make this work. Most probably know each other anyway, and for all the input that we are trying to create a half-assed bunch of pilots to commandeer warbirds, bear in mind that we are trying to create a data base of talent to be at the disposal of the owners and museums that need help in as short a time as possible.

If someone can direct me to who may have the "lists", I will draft a letter explaining our concept and post it here for review. Then I will mail to all appropriate, at my cost, to see where we go and report back to the WIX Foundation. (by the way, can we call this an official WIX project? Did we get permission? Hey, just had a stupid thought...does everyone think that I am "THE Scott" WRG creator? I'm just a schmuck in Milwaukee)

I think that the media thing is great and perhaps someone else can take on the role of contacting all warbird related publications to get mention in their next issue. That means we need an official "address" to publish so if this thread is good, should that be the contact point for readers of the magazines?

Fund raising: I really think that corporate sponsors are a viable option and would be willing to coordinate an attack on some of them as well. If you take the vendor paper from Oshkosh this year, I could write hundreds of letters. Remember, it's easier to get $10 from 1000 people than $1000 from 10. Let me know what you guys think.

RE: the big picture of salvage, man that is going to be a project. Coordination of wreck location and the bureaucracy battles...whew I'll leave that to you experts. I think my head would explode. That is grounds, however, for big preservation money. Getting them out of the "deep" is one thing, where they go from there and who can/is willing to do the restorations may be another. I think that some real prioritization is required here to decide which wrecks to focus on. One great success, like "Glacier Girl" really makes a statement of credibility and opens more doors. Who would be the ultimate "owner" of the salvaged aircraft?

Are there any lawyers among us that can shed light on what it takes to actually create a tax exempt foundation to do what it is we speak of?

So....my brain is spinning. Oh yeah, what's a "sticky"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

i agree time is of the essence in a potential hurricane catastrophy etc. glad to see the ball is rolling on the flyable birds, but static displays & valuable memorabilia can't be ignored either. a plan needs to be included for that stuff too.