Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: O/T Speaking of Pan Am

Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:45 pm

Jiggersfromsphilly wrote:
Was that the shop that had Virginia Baders art business upstairs?

I think so..though my memory tells me it was in the front room.
They had lots old desk models that I'd buy (my F-14 and various helicopters came from there), along with used books.
Last edited by JohnB on Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:35 pm

Two separate locations...Air Land & Sea was on King Street and Bader Fine Arts I think was on Queen St...I still have the business cards somewhere.

ALS was a dream come true...tons of models from the 1950s/60s/70s...its now an antique store. When I stopped in the woman running the antique store says she gets a consistent stream of people asking where the hobby shop is...

Sort of reminded me of Halls Hobbies when I was growing up in Columbus OH...it was in the basement of a hardware store...

Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:45 am

$8m seems a lot to pay for a data plate.

:P

Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:29 am

There was also a model shop about a block east of ALS...they had some old unbuilt kits.
I found some old Revells at a antique store and gave them to the store...

Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:14 am

JohnB wrote:Don't forget the full-scale cabin mock up at the Irish museum.
It didn't get much press (or praise) here in the US.

There was (is?) an aviation memorbilia shop in Alexandria, VA (Air, Land and Sea?) that sold new replicas of the original 314 metal desk models...probably 1/48th scale.
The owner told me he sold one to Steven Speilberg, and they were nice. The cost in 1995..about $2500, iirc.

Wonder if they're still made?

I saw one the other day in the window on the UES(Upper East Side) of NYC. It is a store called 'Bizarre.." something.., usually very, very cool antiques. The owner obviously has an affinity for aeronautics as he always has models and cast desk replicas in stock.

Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:16 pm

well, one has sunken here, right in the Tagus river, in Lisbon...

Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:07 pm

I would love for one to be recovered, but agree on how much of it can really be left?

Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:11 pm

the330thbg wrote:I saw one the other day in the window on the UES(Upper East Side) of NYC. It is a store called 'Bizarre.." something.., usually very, very cool antiques. The owner obviously has an affinity for aeronautics as he always has models and cast desk replicas in stock.

I remember selling some pretty rare aero models to a place called The Bizarre Bazaar, seems like 20 years ago, or so? I heard the owner collected a lot of rare aero items, back then.. Could that be the place? That kind of shop, surviving in Manhattan all these years, would be pretty amazing. Wish I could go visit.

Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:20 pm

Back in the day, there was Bader's shop and then about a block down the street was another shop that sold a lot of memoriabila.... I think that is the one they were refering to......

Mark H

Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:32 pm

rreis wrote:well, one has sunken here, right in the Tagus river, in Lisbon...

Does anyone know if there is anything left to be recovered of the "Yankee Clipper"? Seems a river wreck even one near the outlet to the Atlantic recovery would be more feasable than a deep sea wreck.

Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:43 am

Warbirdnerd wrote:
rreis wrote:well, one has sunken here, right in the Tagus river, in Lisbon...

Does anyone know if there is anything left to be recovered of the "Yankee Clipper"? Seems a river wreck even one near the outlet to the Atlantic recovery would be more feasable than a deep sea wreck.

I got notice of the opinion of an Admiral of the Portuguese Navy on that. He says that all structures sunken on the river start vanishing shortly after because of the currents present there. Anyway, who knows if there is still something there?

Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:05 pm

I'm reasonably certain that I have a photo of a major portion of the Yankee Clipper wreckage being lifted by a crane shortly after the accident. That would take a moderate search effort just to locate the photo.

Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:47 pm

Cubs wrote:I'm reasonably certain that I have a photo of a major portion of the Yankee Clipper wreckage being lifted by a crane shortly after the accident. That would take a moderate search effort just to locate the photo.

like this? portuguese newspaper of the time, engine recovery
Post a reply