Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Any DC-3 jobs out there?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:43 pm 

I'm looking for work as a pilot, would really like to go fly something with Radial Engines (before they're all gone). I'll go anywhere (even Africa), I'm young (sort of) and single (might change soon), and am out of the army finally. If anyone has leads, I'd sure like to know.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:50 pm 

Buffalo Airways up in Yellowknife claims to be the last scheduled DC-3 operator. Unless you have a ton of time on similar types, I would imagine your in for about a year of working your tail off on the ramp for next to no money before you get a shot at a flight crew position.

A better plan may be to find yourself a job on more modern equipment but in (or near) a place with a museum-owned airworthy DC-3 (or C-47) that you can volounteer to fly. This way you'd almost certainly not have to deal with things like full loads, short runways or ice. You'd fly only in nice conditions and leave the hard stuff for your actual job.

-Tim

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

http://www.aviationemployment.com
Some skydiver outfits still use 3's-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:51 pm 

DC-3 Airplane Pilot needed overseas

Company: Aerotek
Category: Aviation Jobs
Rate: $130,000 to $140,000 per Year + 35% danger and 35% post differential
Job Type: Direct Placement
Posting ID: 1581314
DC-3 Airplane Pilot needed overseas Job Description:
Military subcontractor currently has 4 openings available for 4 DC-3 Airplane Pilots overseas.

Position Overview:
Operates DC3 BT-67 airplane in support of approved missions in Afghanistan.

Education Required:
A high school diploma or equivalent is mandatory. An Associate Degree or higher is preferred.

Experience Required:
FAA Commercial and Instrument Certificate, with Multi Engine type rating of aircraft over 12,500 pounds; CFI/II Multi-engine Instrument certification with 2,500 Fixed Wing flight hours and 1,000 hours turbine time.

Special Knowledge/Skills Required:
1. Employee qualification in DC3 BT-67 is required prior to assignment.
2. Individual will be qualified and must maintain currency and proficiency with Night Vision Goggles (NVG) as a condition of employment.
3. An FAA CFI or CFII rating in type and category or a military Instructor Pilot (IP) or Standardization Pilot (SP) rating is desired.
4. During training and throughout the employment period, the individual must demonstrate and maintain proficiency in understanding aircraft systems, components, and operating limitations as well as understanding and complying with regulations and policies.
5. Individual must possess a thorough knowledge of FAA, ICAO policy and regulations pertinent to the operational requirement.
6. The individual must be able to attain and retain a SECRET CLEARANCE as a condition of employment.
7. Employees must provide documentation of completion for any manufacturer's course of instruction, military flight training or instruction in other aircraft.
8. DC-3 instructor experience is desired. Instructor Pilot applicants must have documentation showing proof of successful completion of a Certified Flight Instructor qualification or an equivalent military qualification.

Work Environment:
1. Pilots will be required to work and live in a potentially hostile environment, at remote locations, under austere conditions.
2. Pilots may be required to respond to a wide variety of operational circumstances, under extreme weather conditions, within a hostile environment.
3. The pilot will perform duties in garrison, under tactical field conditions and on board airplanes within a hostile environment.

For more in depth information about principle responsibilities, special knowledge/skills required, work environment and physical requirements please contact:

Ken Malines
Aerotek Aviation
888-455-1329
Ken Malines
Senior Recruiter
South East Recruiter Lead Mgr.
(Ph) 321-354-1040
(Fax) 321-354-1140
(Toll Free) 888-455-1329 <http://www.aerotek.com/ >
3660 Maguire Blvd. Suite 107
Orlando, Fl. 32779 <http://www.aerotek.com/ > http://www.aerotek.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:57 pm 

toddbrenna wrote:
Position Overview:
Operates DC3 BT-67 airplane in support of approved missions in Afghanistan.

Not radial-engined.

Still, looks like it would be fun to fly.

-Tim

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:32 pm 

PbyCat-Guy wrote:
I'm looking for work as a pilot, would really like to go fly something with Radial Engines (before they're all gone). I'll go anywhere (even Africa), I'm young (sort of) and single (might change soon), and am out of the army finally. If anyone has leads, I'd sure like to know.

Try checking with Everts Air Cargo up in Anchorage. When I left ANC a couple years back they were flying C-46's and a few -6's

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:56 pm 
Senior Moderator

There's an outfit here in North Texas that runs a couple of DC-3's and a Convair, don't know if they need a mech or not...but it's worth a shot.

http://www.airborneimaging.net/

Join us for the Texas Warbird Report on WarbirdRadio.com!
Image http://www.facebook.com/WarbirdRadio
Listen at http://www.warbirdradio.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:41 pm 

There is a cargo operation in Hawaii based out of Honolulu that flies a Super DC-3 and BE-18s.

There are also a few DC-3 operators using them in the mission field. There are at least a couple US based aviation missions that fly DC-3s. One in Florida (they were full of pilots last I checked) and one based out of Tennessee (He needed pilots for Haiti stuff a year ago, but came across as a bit of a jerk).

Unfortunately(or fortunately depending on how you look at it) 4 Star was shut down by the FAA a couple years ago. Less than a year before they went under, 4 Star was hiring DC-3 SICs with wet commercial AMEL tickets and someting like 250 TT.

I believe Catalina Flying Boats also shut down as well (they were selling their DC-3s a couple years ago)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:43 pm 

toddbrenna wrote:
2. Individual will be qualified and must maintain currency and proficiency with Night Vision Goggles (NVG) as a condition of employment.

Something about flying a DC-3 wearing NVGs just seems wrong.......