Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:46 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The guys in the Huey are real heroes for many reasons. They fly Viet Nam vets, and current vets for rehab and other wonderful reasons every weekend, for free. These guys are outstanding and then they rose to the occasion yesterday and pushed the UH-1H out to the ramp and transported the injured from Stead to the local hospitals.

My hat is off to you Gentleman. Well done. I will try to get more information about their organization so donations and thanks can be given to this wonderful group.

We brought her from: Image to this in 3 months: Image Help us get her all the way back Image

All donations are tax deductible as the Stockton Field Aviation Museum is a 501c3 nonprofit organization. Tell a friend as the Harpoon needs all the help she can get.

Thank you!

Taigh Ramey
Vintage Aircraft, Stockton, California
http://www.twinbeech.com
'KEEP ‘EM FLYING…FOR HISTORY!'

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:53 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Taigh,

Glad to see you made it out unscathed. I'm assuming the crew and family are all safe as well.

Ryan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Steve S wrote:
Tipping my hat to the owners of that Huey who put aside any thoughts of impact on its condition and put it into service yesterday to transport injured to the hospital. At the end of day it is nice to see them put back into better than new and perfect condition but really they were all originally intended to be work horses in some form or another and this to me was more deserving of recognition than having the correct paint job or all of the bolt heads lined up.

Amen to that!

I saw a photo of injured sitting in a Huey..I figured it was either National Guard (I think they have a few left) of maybe a local Sheriff's bird.

Good for them helping out....and restoring an example of a historic type.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:36 pm 

With all that went on over the weekend was there ever a return to this part of the event and an award. I had heard that there was some talk of still awarding the trophy over the weekend but since I did not hear anything else is it safe to assume that changed due to the situation.

Hopoing that if they did make an award some acknowledgement of the actions of the Huey crew was made.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:53 pm 

Never mind -this popped up on FB as I was writing the previous post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddyID0cK ... e=youtu.be

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:59 pm 

Taigh Ramey wrote:
The guys in the Huey are real heroes for many reasons. They fly Viet Nam vets, and current vets for rehab and other wonderful reasons every weekend, for free. These guys are outstanding and then they rose to the occasion yesterday and pushed the UH-1H out to the ramp and transported the injured from Stead to the local hospitals.

My hat is off to you Gentleman. Well done. I will try to get more information about their organization so donations and thanks can be given to this wonderful group.

Well done to these guys.

Updated twice a week!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:12 pm 

I heard that the awards were handed out. Is there a listing of the award winners published yet?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:08 am 

News Release

September 19, 2011

National Aviation Heritage Invitational Announces 2011 Awards to Restored Aircraft

National Aviation Hall of Fame Enshrinees joined presenting sponsor Rolls-Royce North America, Inc. in awarding the
Rolls-Royce Aviation Heritage trophy to the:
1911 Bleriot X1 owned by CC Air Corporation of Port Hueneme, California.
Winners in other categories are:
• Antique Category (Orville and Wilbur Wright Trophy): 1929 Command Aire 5C-3, owned by Bob Juranich of Sitka, Alaska.
• Classic Category (Paul E. Garber Trophy): 1954 Cessna 170B owned by Bruce Rhymes of Susanville, California.
• Warbird Category (Henry ‘Hap’ Arnold Trophy): 1941 Curtiss P-40 Tomahawk, owned by Rod Lewis of San Antonio, Texas.
• Large Aircraft (Howard Hughes Trophy): 1947 Grumman Mallard G-73, owned by Steve Hamilton of Carson City, Nevada.
• National Aviation Hall of Fame People’s Choice: 1965 Bell UH-1H Huey owned by-25th Infantry Division Huey LLC from Bend, Oregon.

Assisting in the trophy presentations to the winning owners were National Aviation Hall of Fame Enshrinees Dick Rutan and Clarence ‘Bud’ Anderson. Joining them were Robert Sciabica, Rolls-Royce North America ;Ken Perich, Executive Director of the National Aviation Heritage Invitational; and Ron Kaplan, Enshrinement Director of the National Aviation Hall of Fame.
The Heritage is held in conjunction with the Reno National Championship Air Races and celebrates aviation treasures. This endeavor is a joint effort under the auspices of Rolls-Royce North America Inc., the National Aviation Hall of Fame, and the Reno Air Racing Foundation, with support from the Smithsonian Institution's National Air and Space Museum, Air Transport World, International Aero Engines, PilotMAG, Airmail Greetings, Air and Space Smithsonian Magazine, Perform Air, LiveAirShowTV and The Perich Group.
The National Aviation Heritage Invitational encourages preservation of aviation history through the restoration of aircraft to original flying condition. The Invitational was founded in 1998. A five-member panel, including representatives of the National Air and Space Museum, judges each aircraft on its technical merit and how well it represents the aircraft early in its career. Authenticity to the original manufacturer’s condition is the “gold standard” for each plane.
More information can be found at http://www.heritagetrophy.org

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:14 pm 

If that Spartan is the same one I helped push into a hangar 15 or so years ago the owner is a very classy guy and has a great deal to do with my love of aviation all these years later. He might not remember, but a few minutes of patience with a teenager went a long way!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:05 pm 

Just a couple I had taken early in the week:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:32 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Here are some more shots of Reno from the Heritage ramp. This is a panorama option for the new point and shoot camera so sorry for the need to scroll. The last one was taken shortly after the awards ceremony when a lot of the participants were getting ready to head home.

We brought her from: Image to this in 3 months: Image Help us get her all the way back Image

All donations are tax deductible as the Stockton Field Aviation Museum is a 501c3 nonprofit organization. Tell a friend as the Harpoon needs all the help she can get.

Thank you!

Taigh Ramey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:18 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Thanks for the pix's Taigh....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:04 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks for pix everybody. I wanted to get to the pits when I got there Friday ( I got there just as the bronze was starting and watched from in front of the stands) and so I never made it to the heritage area. I didn't even get to find out what was there. The story of the copter later that day is just amazing, at dinner that night a friend told me about it. Next time I go to Reno I'm making sure I get to the Heritage stuff right way.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:40 pm 

Taigh:

Could not but be impressed by the quality and crispness of your photos!! What kind of camera & lens do you have ??

John

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:51 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The camera is a small Sony point and shoot DSC-TX100V that fits in your shirt pocket, nothing special. The panorama shots are surprising to me because when I take them I manually pan the camera from left to right and the camera stitches the images together pretty well. The shots were re-sized at half their normal resolution for the forum post.

I've had good luck with the Sony DSC cameras and this is about the 5th one I have used over the years. This new one was a free replacement for one that was 2 years old and died. Gotta love the Best Buy protection plan!

Thank you!

Taigh Ramey