Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Section of crashed P-47D, anyone know what it is?

Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:55 pm

I have a section of P-47 that was recovered, it measures aprox. 17'' by 19'' and Im trying to figure out which part of the aircraft it is. I included the link/pic below-Im assuming part of the tail but does anyone know if it's the horizontal, vertical, etc? I know you guys are good and any help is greatly appreciated!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/64058311@N02/5941233971/in/photostream

Re: Section of crashed P-47D, anyone know what it is?

Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:17 pm

I'm thinking it's the top of the rudder?

However, I haven't worked on a P47 for quite a few years.

edit: & now I think it;s actually part of the elevator....

so just ignore my comments..

Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:12 am

I think I have seen this piece on the internet in the last month or so, have you just purchased this?????

I was interested in this because the sellers were claiming it was from a certain machine when it actully was'nt. Any history with this????

Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:27 am

Based on the leading edge angle and inset at the trailing edge, I'm going to guess it's the outer tip of the right stabilizer, but I could well be wrong.

Lynn

Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:29 am

Outboard end of elevator.

CraigQ

Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:26 am

Great, thanks for all the help and input so far.

Boghopper, you're right, i picked this up online about a month or two. I was told it was from 42-7944 but I'm still trying to look into it.

Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:49 am

The military serial No. 42-7944 was allocated to a P-47D Thunderbolt that was based with a few 8th AF units, of note the 78th FG 83rd FS Duxford, flown by Lt Tom Sheppard.
HL-V " Topper "

Of note Mr Sheppard and his family came to visit us at TFC Duxford only a few weeks ago to checkout "War Eagle", nice gentleman at the age of 91, finished his combat tour a few days before 6th June 44, ended up handpainting stripes on 47's before going stateside.

Then the following week, the family of the 78th FG 1st Commander Arman Peterson visited the hangar, fantastic stuff

Mart
Post a reply