Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Nice find :)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:26 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I use the NAA logo as my avatar on a few msg boards. Chap in Georgia contacted me about a week back to ask what it was as he "had seen something with that logo in a local antique store".

Long story short, it's now on my mantle here in California...

"universal measuring device" included for scale. Plaque is about 7in across & 1.125in thick. I assume the hole in the middle was for a minature flag pole as it sat on some blokes desk...

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.

Post subject: Re: Nice find :)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:43 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Not worth much without the pen................so I'll take it off your hands cheap.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:44 pm 

That is awesome. I have a Duz All with the N.A.A. logo on it. Came from Inglewood way back when.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:47 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Obergrafeter wrote:
Not worth much without the pen................so I'll take it off your hands cheap.

How generous, no. lol

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:00 pm 

Ober, I was in the process of typing the same thing when I say your post arrive....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

ZRX61 wrote:
I use the NAA logo as my avatar on a few msg boards. Chap in Georgia contacted me about a week back to ask what it was as he "had seen something with that logo in a local antique store".

"universal measuring device" included for scale. Plaque is about 7in across & 1.125in thick. I assume the hole in the middle was for a minature flag pole as it sat on some blokes desk...

A very cool find!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:35 am 

That is really a great piece. Never saw one before. A bit of confusion, since forum moderator Ztex uses the NAA logo as his avatar.
There are all kinds of interesting odd-bitts out there. Found these in the pre-Internet day, when buying some old arcraft brochures. Same fellow offered me a box of aviation related, steel stamping dies. (Sure wish I had purchased all the other ones he had, that had old auto and boat themes!) They ranged in all aero topics fom WWI, commercial, aircraft Co. WWII, and advertising with aero images. Some of the dies were sets of male & female. They were all obviously one-of-a-kind. heavy and thick steel. My favorites were two larger size dies that had the early Pan-Am logo and the later one. Here is the one that had the NAA logo. it is about 1 3/4. those colored streaks are the coatings of axle grease I put on them for preservation. Had them all scanned in, a couple of years ago. but can't find the file now. The box of them is on one of the back shelves and it is Heavy!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

wow that's a real gem!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:17 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

ZRX61 wrote:

Thats a great find, very rare and worth holding on to!

Thanks for putting in a measuring device to scale and reference the size.

The hole is for drinking the contents of the can from, it was originally used to hold a popular cola drink, that also acts well to strip oxide from old coins, and the lining off your stomach, smiles, there is a ring pull near it which is used to open the hole when the can is new, this one is in excellent condition, its typically @ 375 ml's in capacity and is a great find!

By the way if you "don't" want that old triangular thing with the "NAA" letters on it that you have put there to provide scale that rare can, I dont think its worth much at all? but I will take it off your hands, I'm happy to fund the postage!

Smiles

Mark Pilkington

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:22 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Mark_Pilkington wrote:
ZRX61 wrote:

Thats a great find, very rare and worth holding on to!

Thanks for putting in a measuring device to scale and reference the size.

The hole is for drinking the contents of the can from, it was originally used to hold a popular cola drink, that also acts well to strip oxide from old coins, and the lining off your stomach, smiles, there is a ring pull near it which is used to open the hole when the can is new, this one is in excellent condition, its typically @ 375 ml's in capacity and is a great find!

By the way if you "don't" want that old triangular thing with the "NAA" letters on it that you have put there to provide scale to that rare can, I dont think its worth much at all? but I will take it off your hands, I'm even happy to fund the postage!

Smiles

Mark Pilkington

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:33 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I "might" be persuaded to part with it if someone were to PM me with a tempting offer. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:46 pm 

Hi All,

Nice finds both items. Nicely done to both of you, both are worthy of keeping in anyone's collection of memorabilia

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:52 am 

barnbstormer wrote:
That is really a great piece. Never saw one before. A bit of confusion, since forum moderator Ztex uses the NAA logo as his avatar.
There are all kinds of interesting odd-bitts out there. Found these in the pre-Internet day, when buying some old arcraft brochures. Same fellow offered me a box of aviation related, steel stamping dies. (Sure wish I had purchased all the other ones he had, that had old auto and boat themes!) They ranged in all aero topics fom WWI, commercial, aircraft Co. WWII, and advertising with aero images. Some of the dies were sets of male & female. They were all obviously one-of-a-kind. heavy and thick steel. My favorites were two larger size dies that had the early Pan-Am logo and the later one. Here is the one that had the NAA logo. it is about 1 3/4. those colored streaks are the coatings of axle grease I put on them for preservation. Had them all scanned in, a couple of years ago. but can't find the file now. The box of them is on one of the back shelves and it is Heavy!

In the 1990's I worked at the port of los angeles and would hang out at an aviation bookstore in the next city of Lomita.I was standing at the counter,chatting with my friend when this old gal walked in with a cardboard box.Inside was numerous items from 1930's air racing.there were Various programs,engraved zippo lighters,ribbons,match books pins,etc etc.it was all mint and from numerous events.when she said she wanted $50.00 for all of it I almost fainted.I would have offered more but I was in his store and that aint cool.I got a book of matches for $5.00.my buddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:02 pm 

Agent86;
As a life-long aviation collector, I love stories like that. I can identify with those experiences. Gotta be thousands more, just from the mebers of WIX. keep it oging. Let's her more, please. How about: What is the most unusual and interesting item, you ever found, from a most unusual source?