Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: Kamikazi's

Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:12 am

Owen Miller wrote:When you have time, Google up "USS Evans", USS Hadley",
and "Okinawa". The material will make the hair on the back
of your neck stand up.. I cannot even begin to imagine....

God bless those guys and what they did to keep us free!!

yes you have to love those guys and thank the few we still can

Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:28 am

agent86 wrote:Isnt one of the original Wards 5 inch guns on display somewhere.are you sure it was sunk by Kamikazi's?

The AARON WARD was towed back to New York. She was scrapped in 1946, per Saxman's post.

Bill

Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:09 am

agent86 wrote:He had to go,people now volunteer.They better get whats promised

Hopefully Congress remembers this when the axe starts falling on public programs over the next few years.

Realistically, I wouldn't mind if military health care took a hit (after all, everyone has to share the sacrifice if we're all going to fix the nation's budget woes) so long as the other entitlement programs also took a hit.

Hell, I'd be willing to completely forgo military health care benefits if I thought there was a reasonable chance that it would even make a dent in the cuts.

Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:03 pm

agent86 wrote:Isnt one of the original Wards 5 inch guns on display somewhere.are you sure it was sunk by Kamikazi's?

Ward was in use as an APD (High Speed Transport) at that point, rather than a destroyer. My guess is that the gun was removed during its conversion to an APD? It is on display in Minnesota, as the gun was being manned by reservists from Minnesota.

Just to confuse matters you have "Ward" and "Aaron Ward" as separate ships...and there were three "Aaron Wards" in WWII (IIRC).

It was also amazing that not only was the United States capable of such amazing construction, such as 175 Fletcher-class destroyers, but the way the Navy utilized all their assets, including the old "four-piper" destroyers to fill roles that were needed. Check out USS Allen (DD-66)...the only 1,000 ton destroyer to see service in World War II. It may have not seen much combat, but it did fulfill a role that was needed.

Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:44 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Ward_(DD-139 One of the Ward's guns was in fact removed when the ship was converted to a high speed transport. The gun is on display in Minnesota.

Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:08 pm

my god that ship

Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:46 pm

By 1944,the US navy in the pacific was unstoppable.amazing change from 1941.wouldnt want to be on the receiving end of that force

Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:56 pm

me too

Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:08 pm

Poster says it all....

Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:26 pm

Hemiman wrote:Poster says it all....

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:13 am

agent86 wrote:By 1944,the US navy in the pacific was unstoppable.amazing change from 1941.wouldnt want to be on the receiving end of that force

Something often overlooked is the incredible amount of pre-war planning that went into the American war effort. The USS Essex was already on the ways before the war started and every other major ship class was already in the planning stages. Plans were well in place for tank and aircraft manufacturing as well. The need for the B-29 was forseen before the war and the M26 Pershing tank went from drawing board to the field in time to see action at the end of the war. You are right, I would not want to have to challenge the USN by 1944, but that navy was the result of a good deal of pre-war planning.

Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:01 pm

USS Natoma Bay (CVE-62) Jan. 5, 1945

Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:08 pm

Amamazing sequence of photos!

Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:42 pm

If you look at the plane,the landing gear has fallen down which means the plane has been hit and the hydraulics are gone.pilot might have been hit too.amazing photos.and very scary.I cant imagine being there.

Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:58 pm

darn Japanese. Sensless naval men being killed by a war that we all but won at that time
Post a reply