Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kamikazi's
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:59 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

is there a spell check or rewording program on wix?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:09 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

yes. It corrects curse words and maybe some racial slurs I don't know for sure.

"I knew the jig was up when I saw the P-51D-20-NA Mustang blue-nosed bastards from Bodney, and by the way the blue was more of a royal blue than an indigo and the inner landing gear interiors were NOT green, over Berlin."

Last edited by muddyboots on Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:24 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Yep..if you type the name of a hopping amphibian, the forum changes it to "French." :roll:

SN

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:29 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Steve Nelson wrote:
Yep..if you type the name of a hopping amphibian, the forum changes it to "French." :roll:

SN

Ewwwwww!!!! Fried French legs... :lol: You also don't have to spell out Japanese anymore, it does it for you.

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:34 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:03 pm 
Aerial Pirate

I worked with a Navy Veteran some 20 years ago who had been on two ships that were sunk by Kamikazis. As I recall, the first ship was a carrier (or visaversa), and after being rescued, the ship that rescued him was sunk also. He never talked about the war, but one time he told me about this, because he refused to drive across any of our bridges in the S.F. Bay Area and I asked him why that was. If he had to go anywhere of distance, he would drive all the way around the bay, and he lived in S.F.

We must limit politicians to two terms:
one in office and one in jail.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:40 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Roger Cain wrote:
I worked with a Navy Veteran some 20 years ago who had been on two ships that were sunk by Kamikazis. As I recall, the first ship was a carrier (or visaversa), and after being rescued, the ship that rescued him was sunk also. He never talked about the war, but one time he told me about this, because he refused to drive across any of our bridges in the S.F. Bay Area and I asked him why that was. If he had to go anywhere of distance, he would drive all the way around the bay, and he lived in S.F.

thats sad :(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:26 pm 

the neighbor of mine that I started this thread about obviously was still damaged.I have talked have talked to many WWII vets and none of them showed the reaction of recalling their experiences on their faces like he did.you could just tell that it was horrifying and he admitted to me that he thought of it everyday and had regular nightmares.He said he would wake up his wife,yelling in his sleep.I'm sure glad I wasnt there

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:51 pm 

Time doesn't heal all wounds.

My uncle flew on B-29s from Tinian. He considered it russian roulette, and watched some of his friends slowly disappear into the Pacific, due to engine failures.

He was very grateful for the atomic bombs, and after the war, refused to fly again, even commercially. He had to travel from the east coast to the west coast years ago. He drove instead of taking an airliner. 4000+ miles.

We have (had) a large number of Bataan Death March survivors here in Albuquerque. The ones I spoke with, still had a deep hatred of the Japanese people, even 60 years after the war.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:59 am 

tinbender2 wrote:
Time doesn't heal all wounds.

My uncle flew on B-29s from Tinian. He considered it russian roulette, and watched some of his friends slowly disappear into the Pacific, due to engine failures.

He was very grateful for the atomic bombs, and after the war, refused to fly again, even commercially. He had to travel from the east coast to the west coast years ago. He drove instead of taking an airliner. 4000+ miles.

We have (had) a large number of Bataan Death March survivors here in Albuquerque. The ones I spoke with, still had a deep hatred of the Japanese people, even 60 years after the war.

my last name is Romero and is from New Mexico.I'm sure you have heard it before.I have family members(now gone) who were at Bataan.most of the poor guys at Bataan were from New Mexico. My great uncle hated the Japanese till the day he died.can you blame him?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:46 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

nope. But America will still buy Toyota's tho

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

whistlingdeathcorsairs wrote:
darn Japanese. Sensless naval men being killed by a war that we all but won at that time

Had the situation been reversed (the Japanese advancing on Washington DC*) I don't think any American would be suggesting that quitting would be a good idea.

Sadly, to hope for a last minute miracle, is a factor of most wars, but rarely fulfilled.

Aside from the perverted militarism and racial beliefs etc. of the Japanese state of the 1930s, we now know that the Japanese - both military and civilians - were lied to systematically by their leadership about what the nasty foreigners would do if they managed to invade.

Were they senseless? No. Sometimes barbaric? On occasion, definitely, and also often to their own people as well as usually anyone unfortunate as to fall into their hands. Misguided? Certainly. Remember we are lucky not to be born or live in a state such as the Japanese got and built, back then.

Regards,

(*Not that was ever the Japanese intent - or likely to happen. It's a hypothetical reverse to test assumptions.)

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:36 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

JDK wrote:
darn Japanese. Sensless naval men being killed by a war that we all but won at that time

Had the situation been reversed (the Japanese advancing on Washington DC*) I don't think any American would be suggesting that quitting would be a good idea.

Sadly, to hope for a last minute miracle, is a factor of most wars, but rarely fulfilled.

Aside from the perverted militarism and racial beliefs etc. of the Japanese state of the 1930s, we now know that the Japanese - both military and civilians - were lied to systematically by their leadership about what the nasty foreigners would do if they managed to invade.

Were they senseless? No. Sometimes barbaric? On occasion, definitely, and also often to their own people as well as usually anyone unfortunate as to fall into their hands. Misguided? Certainly. Remember we are lucky not to be born or live in a state such as the Japanese got and built, back then.

Regards,

(*Not that was ever the Japanese intent - or likely to happen. It's a hypothetical reverse to test assumptions.)

"sometimes" Barbaric??????? Come on. Where do you feel that there is a need for sympathy on that for the Japanese? Pearl Harbor, Baatan death March, the prison death ships and the killing of civilian phillipinos just because they were asian and they should assist them. Ask any POW from the pacific they you feel they were not barbaric and see what reaction you would get.

If you remember correctly we were in a pickle after Pearl, needing our Navy badly. We lost battle after battle until Midway turned it around for us. I'd have to say that was a last-minute miracle resort for us, and it was fulfilled. As for everything else i do agree with you.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:49 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Where do you feel that there is a need for sympathy on that for the Japanese?

Not what I said, nor my points for this discussion. Have another read. :idea:
We lost battle after battle until Midway turned it around for us. I'd have to say that was a last-minute miracle resort for us, and it was fulfilled.

Midway isn't near the continental United States, hence the name, and was far from a 'last minute' miracle. Spielberg's 1941 isn't a documentary. :lol:

Midway was far less a defence of the homeland and a step before invasion than the Battle of Britain was - itself, an early battle in a longer-to-run strategy. In all cases, they were important, decisive, historic battles of critical importance to the war. But the US was not even nearly at risk of invasion, as Japan was when the Kamikaze system was brought to a peak.

Once Japan attacked the US, and the US government decided not to fight a limited war, Japan was doomed to lose. You can't run scenarios any other way. It was simply a matter of time and cost - massive, and horrifying as that was. God's big battalions for the Pacific was the US' production success - one of the great achievements of the century, and the US personnel under arms and devoted to the war effort.

Personally I find history interesting when I test what I've learnt against new data, and basic logic ('What if the reverse were true?' 'How would we react?') rather than trying to maintain a simple orthodoxy. One of the factors with the western horror of the Kamikaze attacks was that they were systematic, planned and premeditated. However suicidal defence and final defiant attacks have occurred by most societies at extreme moments in war. Would we have found allied defenders of our homelands doing the same thing as bizarre, or admirable sacrifice hoping to achieve a last minute miracle? (As many know, but often overlook it's importance, "Kamikaze" was a name chosen for some Special Attack as a deliberate tribute to the 'Divine Wind' that did save Japan many centuries before.)

Having recently been involved in editing a book on the Kamikaze and related aircraft (Japanese Special Attack Aircraft & Flying Bombs by Ryusuke Ishiguro & Tadeusz Januszewski*), which contains a good deal which covers the background and causes of such a bizarre programme, it's a lot stranger than the normal appreciation of it. And disquieting too. I'm glad not to have ended up in a society that is militaristic, and so perverted that such suicidal sacrifice was an almost inevitable outcome. But for the grace of birthplace and time...

Incidentally, did you know that the ship most frequently hit by the Kamikaze was not in the USN? You may know that the British armoured carriers withstood Kamikaze attacks ('Sweepers, man your brooms') much better than the lighter US carriers - but the attacks on those carries actually malformed the hulls so badly that they were not worth refitting and were thus scrapped, postwar, much earlier than might otherwise have been expected. There's always more to discover.

Regards,

(*Book details. http://mmpbooks.biz/mmp/books.php?book_id=39 )

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:55 pm 

you have to admire the japanese devotion to their cause.can you imagine US pilots crashing into japanese carriers and destroyers?
you cant say they werent comitted to the cause.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next