Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:29 pm 

I need a copy of Missing Air Crew Report (MACR) 1934 that concerns the mid-air collision of B-17G 42-31451 of the 306th BG with a FW 190 on 11 January 1944. The above B-17 then collided with B-17G 42-39957 from the 305th BG. 42-39957 miraculously made it back to England wth one crewman injured. 42-31451 crashed near Epe, Holland with 9 KIA and 1 POW.

The story of the surviving B-17 as told by its pilot and copilot can be found at:
http://www.stelzriede.com/ms/html/mshwma18.htm as well as other locations on the Internet. After the mid-air collision at 19,000", the flight crew of '957 stated they performed an uncommanded "loop" followed by a two or three turn spin and recovery at 4,000' after reaching an indicated air speed of "about 400 M.P.H.". How realistic does all of this sound, especially the loop? Does anyone know if this account was written shortly after the incident or many years later?

I have seen two photographs of 42-39957 which show approximately two-thirds of the vertical fin and rudder sheared off and one-third of the left horizontal stabilizer gone.

I am helping a newspaper reporter who is writing a story on this incident and the copilot of 42-39957.

Any and all assistance would be most appreciated.

Todd Hackbarth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:36 am 

MACR 1934 is on footnote. The survivor of the crashed plane was the bombardier who appears to have deceased in 2005. A relative put up a tribute page to him and got a reply from someone in Holland who saw the airman land on the roof of his mother's house....that link and Crabtree's ID card are here:

http://allmyancestors.com/blog/2008/05/ ... -crabtree/

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:12 am 

I know its an old thread but just found it. To let you know the account by the pilot of the hit parade is accurate according to my father Allan newby he was the radio operator on that aircraft when it encountered the mid air with some minor detail differences.