Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:16 pm 
Potato

I've been seeing/feeling a kinda adversarial thing recently, ok, not just recently. That being said, I wanna chunk a couple three logs on that fire also. Not that Scott needs any help, I think his moderation is impeccable.

I have a couple three maxims I try to live by, I repeat, "Try" to live by. Somewhere after "There's only one Marlboro left, time to find more Marlboro's", Is, "Politeness makes the world go round".

Be polite. We're not buddies. We don't know each other. We know bupkus about anything about each other. We'll have to take everything at face value about whats posted here, regardless if it's believed or not.

If you're challenged about how to respond to someone you disagree with, politely, I'll offer some examples.

Poster1: "I think clipped wing spitfires are the best ever!".
Poster2: "I disagree".

Now, I know this isn't the best example, but it's a good start. It's a good start to a great discussion. Let the conversation take a little more time, see where the poster is coming from. (Besides, everyone knows, clipped winged Spitfires are an abomination. O.P.)

Let's go to the 1000 level course.

I find it easier to disagree, internet wise, with someone I have a profound disagreement with(i.e. Massive immediate anger), by terming my objections in the form of a question. Here's a couple of examples....

Poster1: I think superglueing the end part of the wing thingy is ok.
Poster2: What kinda f**king crack are you smoking?

OOOhhhhhkay, simmer down Poster2. It's an internet dude. Who really cares? If your disagreement is that profound, you've probably already made your call on that cats opinions anyway. Besides, the FAA and his A and P are gonna have to clear that anyway, if it's real that is. Anywhooo, That's probably the wrong way to question that statement. Lets try it again...

Poster1: I think superglueing the end part of the wing thingy is ok.
Poster2: Are you sure? Do you have an AD for that?
Poster1: Dude, I'm sorry. I mean't the Cessna sticker on the edge of the wing of my 172. It's peeling. Whaddya think?

I like that better.

I think I know what's right. And I know you do. Let em talk themselves out. Nothing needed.

I know it's a kinda pollyannaish interpetation of whats been going on around these parts lately, but it's polite. In demonstration and reality. (aint I a nice effin guy)

One of the cool things about "Free Speech", that no one talks about is, Crazy, Wrong Headed, Stupid, Uninformed, people, get to say what they want too. That's cool. Say it loud and proud baby. It gives me a chance to know where they're at so I ain't there when they plant themselves.

The reason I'm posting this is several mentions about why some potential, and semi current posters, will not post here. I believe that. The cool thing about this board has been that big shots actually involved in all of the aspects of the thing we love most actually posted here at at one time or another.

After some of the crap that has went on (Helmets, Mustangs, attach angles, ect) I can see why there is a reluctance to post any further on their part. I've asked people I know to post here, they might not be bigshot warbird folks, but the amount of information they have is inexhaustable, and they won't do it because they don't have the time, or any number of "normal" reasons. They definately will not post if they think someone's going to try and hand their @ss to them for no good reason. They all lurk here now and again. The small word I hear is the WRG is awesome, fantastic, The WIX is, to be polite, stealing a Steve P word, full of "penguins", and "I don't have time for that".

It's Scott's board and I don't know what he figured it to be, but I've seen it as is a direct link to the cats actually doing it. I can get "photo tips" on warbird shooting somewhere else. I can find out whether or not a specific aircraft was flown on this specific day by this specific person, somewhere else. I can try to figure out N numbers to BU numbers to paperwork to an airport in arizona, somewhere else.

I've always seen this board as a place for new info from the guys actually doing it. It always blew me away to see post's by John Lane, Mike Rawson, Vlado, ect, ect. There is a lot of others also. I've always seen this place about Recovery, Restoration, Operation. Primarily. Those guys do post, and I thank them, but there is a dearth of anything, recently. And it gets less as the months go on. This place should be the first for any active warbird info from the cats doing it. We should keep it that way and some of these dudes come back, and there should be more. Lane, Roush, Ezell, Fagen, Skurich, ect, should be, and can be coming here first. All of the pilots using these planes currently should be, and can be coming her first to give us the lowdown.

To the cats giving all of us the good word, Way cool and thanks! To all of the lurker dudes, Come on in, the waters good! To all of my WIX bro's, dudes, be polite, at least in public, it'll get all of us a real good deal.

BE POLITE. BE POLITE. BE POLITE.

Okie doke,
I'm done embarassing myself,
Orvis

Deep Thoughts,
Jack Handy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:15 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Thanks Orvis. I appreciate you taking the time to write this post. I started this forum as a place for the refugees from the Warbirds Worldwide forum. My goals for this place is to bring those of us with similar interests together. I don't know about the rest of you but before the internet I was pretty much alone in my aviation interests. Most of my friends and family just don't get the passion I have for aircraft. But when I created this forum not only did I find like minded individuals I found them all over the world. I've had conversations with people on every continent and in countries I never expected to be able to meet people. Since the formal inception of the WIX I have met dozens of people in real life, all of which have become real life friends. I wanted this to be a place where owners could interact with enthusiasts. And I want to thank the owners who have stuck it out and continued to participate in the discussions even in the face of adversity.

We are a community, with everything that entails, both good and bad. I think Orvis has expressed it perfectly. Politeness will get you much farther in discussions. Lets try to all get along and treat each other with respect. We will be a much happier community.

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:54 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Hey Guys:

I agree with Orvis. Sometimes I have too much to say on the board, and all that means is that I'm trying to communicate with others about warbirds. Or even just joke around a little. Sometimes I may not know all the little fine details about a certain subject. Just tell everybody, and we can talk about it. I won't call someone ignorant if they don't know something, and I hope you don't do that to me.

I'm not intimidated by people who know more either, in fact I want to hear what they have to say so it can enhance our knowledge of warbirds.

Nobody wants to hear a "roaring jerk" dictate to them what to say, or say unkind things in public. That's a major turnoff to a constructive discussion, and won't help this board at all.

Since government is so involved in aviation, we all have a lot of very strong emotions about it. It's very easy for that to come up in our discussions about regulations. Maybe we can figure out a way to discuss this w/o a shouting match. It's a very hard topic which I think led to the downward spiral in the "attach angles" discussion.

I know in the aviation community there is a lot of fear that the FAA or NHS is "listening in" on our posts, and so everyone is very wary about talking about certain "issues". I don't know how to comment on this yet. Maybe Scott or someone will start a post on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:18 am 
S/N Geek

Well said Orvis. I can only add that we all need to consider the fact that this is a text media only. I.e. you can't hear intonation and you can't hear the emotion, so unless someone takes a couple of hours to write each post chances are you are only getting part of the message. So in the rare occurance when someone writes something that you see as inflamatory, cool off, give the benefit of the doubt, then ask for clarification.

Regards,

Mike

http://www.facebook.com/AerialVisuals

Do you want to find locations of displayed, stored or active aircraft? Then start with the The Locator.
Do you want to find or contribute to the documented history of an aircraft? If so then start with the Airframes Database.