Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Unexpected Honor
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:31 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Met John Taylor today an honest to God veteran of Pearl Harbor, a submariner, and veteran of combat patrols on the USS Cachalot. What an honor.

He lives in the same home as my father in law whom we were visiting. Ed's hearing is just gone so though John knew Ed was a fellow navy veteran he couldn't get any information out of him. I was able to give John the information he wanted and learned a few things myself.

Post subject: Re: Unexpected Honor
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

cherish the moment, it's getting less & less w/ the ww 2 vets. i saw my dad at work every day for 25 years + grill outs, fishing, etc. i could kick my own ass for not questioning him more, but as i figured it would have to come from him. but..... i had a cardinal rule w/ my kids.... ask anything but don't ask grandpa if he ever killed anyone in the war. a rule i stood by as well, as all in my family out of respect.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:39 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I once cringed when a female relative asked a veteran of several tours of both our current campaigns if he ever killed anyone. The vet was good natured about it but I think he was surprised that a woman would ask.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:48 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

thats nice!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:19 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Many years ago, through contacts within the Fourth Armored Association, I had the personal honor and opportunity to be invited(by personal letter) by General Bruce C. Clarke(Clarke of St. Vith) to visit, and spend a few hours chatting at his residence in (As I recall) McLean, Va.

I went down with a friend and had a great chat with this most exceptional military personality. Patton had said about this man thad had he been commissioned in the combat arms(Cavalry, Infantry, Artillery), rather than as an Engineer, he would have been a general before tthe war. Clarke started in the NYARNG in 1917 as a Private, and retired many decades later as a 4 Star General, who had been a Combat Commander(Col.) with the 4th Armored, then with 7th Armored(B.Gen) at the defense of St. Vith, a battleground equally important as Bastogne during the Bulge, where he'd held for a week when they needed him to hold for two days. He'd been a commander of I corps in Korea, and was in charge of USAEUR during the "Checkpoint Charlie" incident in 1960... Quite a man- in his late 80s, he still stood well over 6' tall, with a voice which fairly boomed.(Once his wife passed away a few years later, he just went down hill & was gone within two years)

Anyway, I was young and stupid, and one question asked had my friend fairly laughing at me afterward... Here I am, talking with one of Patton's Very Best commanders, and I mention "CYA" and ask "You do know what CYA means, right, sir?" Whether or not he did, he very graciously responded "No- I am unfamiliar with the term. What does it mean?" And I got to explain. He gave a nicely phrased "Thank you" afterwards. Looking back, My friend WAS right to laugh at me- at least he waited till we left... lol.

Scott

I am a reenactor, have been since the early 1980s, and I am an aviation enthusiast, PILOT, A&P mechanic, and military vehicle owner. I have restored cars, trucks, and antique radios. These are MY hobbies- What are YOURS?.