Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

WIX Art Dept. checking in ...

Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:24 am

Whew - thanks for unlocking the door, fellas. It was cold out in the alley. Anyway, something new from the kitchen table ... 8)

First the drawing ~

South Pacific Hot Rods (study)
10 x 15 in., pencil on Bristol

The painting underway on stretched linen. One wing complete. Note the monochromatic underpainting (based on my drawing above - the primary reason to do a drawing) to help judge the color values. A very old technique regularly employed by the old masters. Rembrandt, for example, almost always started with such a foundation. The general approach is to paint the darks thinly, leaving the underpainting visible in the darkest areas, and the lights more opaque, even finishing with a little impasto (thickly applied paint).

And in lieu of a poor-quality handheld shot before scanning, here's a poor-quality short video look at 'South Pacific Hot Rods' via iPhone-cam ... The lighting leaves a bit to be desired (Dammit Jim, I'm a painter, not a filmmaker!), but you get the idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN1kpLM0Y9o

And finally ~ the archival scan. A 600 dpi copy is always committed to archival gold disc.

South Pacific Hot Rods
12 x 18 in. Oil on linen
Completed 2011
Collection of the artist

Two VF-17 "Jolly Rogers" F4U Corsairs cavort above the clouds during a rare break from combat ops, circa November 1943. Sporting beards in many cases and known for their aggressiveness, "Blackburn's Irregulars", as the pilots of VF-17 were known in certain quarters, actually played a large role during their own training period in preparing the Corsair for fleet-wide use. They didn't do so bad once they entered combat, either, scoring a record 152 victories in only 76 days of combat during the Solomons campaign.

The featured aircraft, side #3, was flown by ENS Frederick J. "Big Jim" Streig. Streig flew two tours with the Jolly Rogers and made ace in the Corsair, scoring 5.5 confirmed aerial victories and claiming 2.0 damaged. Jim was promoted to Commander in 1956 and retired from the Navy in 1969. Always a popular presence at Jolly Rogers reunions over the years, "Big Jim" died in August 1995 after a long illness.

Cheers!
Wade

Re: WIX Art Dept. checking in ...

Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:33 am

Very nice, Wade!

Is it based on a known, recorded event, or is it just a jeux d'esprit?

Cheers,

Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:41 am

Lovely. Evocative and atmospheric work.

Cheers,
Matt

Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:11 am

Very nice indeed.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:10 am

Thanks, fellas! :D

JDK wrote:... Is it based on a known, recorded event, or is it just a jeux d'esprit

James, you nailed it ... just two Hogs playing in the sun (which I'm sure they must have on occasion). The set up is jeux d'esprit (I will be stealing that, BTW), but of course I *begin* all such larks with accurate planes, paint jobs, etc. The background sky is a montage of pics I've shot myself, with a little imagination thrown in.

Cheers!
Wade

Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:26 pm

Very cool Wade!

Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:39 pm

Great stuff Wade!
Post a reply