Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: ??????????????
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:53 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

I can't say I blame Steve at all for losing his cool. It's happened more than once on this board. Someone said in a earlier post that it's usually the same people making sharp pointless comments usually under the idea that he who speaks loudest wins. Guys like Steve, Jeff, John Lane, John Paul ect are great assests to this board but you don't hear much from them. When I talked to Jeff the other day and asked him he's not posted much on the AD thread and reply to certain comments, his reply was "I'd be banned if I said what I want to say". I this a great board except for people posting on subjects they know nothing about and others scream and stomp there feet about the darn feds interfering again then attacking anyone questions their opinions. I know a lot of warbird owners/pilots most are very serious about maintainence and currency. But there is always a few who could care less and and are happy with a pencil whipped annual. For myself, I don't see anything wrong with this AD. If it saves just 1 pilot and his pax it just paid for itself.

Post subject: An old cop joke...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:32 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Sometimes, the people here on the board remind me of an old cop joke.

"What do a hundred beaten women have in common?"

"None of them could keep their mouth shut..."

Now I was going to tag this on a direct reply to Harvard IV, my friend and most esteemed expert on aircraft restoration and everything else. But I thought we could all friggin benefit from that joke...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:56 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Hey Guys:

I was wrong, and I posted late at night when I was tired and "off". I am very sorry. The magnitude of my response was unwarranted, and inappropriate for the discussion. Yes, Mr. patterson had every right to be mad at me, and say what he did. So we made arses out of eachother and it was my fault. Also, as Col Rohr said the Feds read this stuff too, and it doesn't help avaition any if we're downing them. Also like Jack Cook said, do it on another board, he's right too. Aviation is too sensitive a argue too carelessly about. Now maybe when I get my T-6 going you can call my "smoking hole".

I'll write it 50 times

I will not let it happen again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:13 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Hope this post doesn't offend anyone, but I think it's worth mentioning...

I don't agree with everything that this fellow said, but Mr. Benjamin Franklin, one of our Founding Fathers here in the United States said that "Men must be governed by God, or they will be ruled by tyrants."
This statement pertains both to this message board, and to the situation with the FAA.
On the message board, we should all check our attitudes and motives before posting.
For example, think how will this post encourage Rob, Chris, Steve, etc... and make them better. Am I possibly offending him? Maybe this is an offensive way to word this and, could I word this more succinctly, or graciously? When we don't, Scott has to be a tyrant, and enforce civility, something I know he, and others like him (Yes, I've done it before a bit on another board) don't really want to have to do. Also, check to see if you're mis-reading someone else's post and taking an unneccesary offense to something they've said.
As far as the FAA's concerned, I don't like some of their rules, and I don't like some things that seem to come from them, including some seemingly dumb stuff like the recent air tour proposal. However, I also know some folks who break those rules, and I don't like the results. Most of their rules were written in someone's blood, and some of the rules I like least, seem to have come more from legal issues and other people in the general population, who have demanded that something be done, than from an FAA mean-spirit. Like mentioned in someone else's post, we sometimes forget that the people on the ground also deserve some concern. After all, if we make a mistake and crash, there is a likelyhood that someone on the ground MIGHT get hurt. This of course is magnified in the view of said folks on the ground, and we should respect that.
Most pilots and aircraft owners I have talked to are responsible folks who I admire, but I also know of at least 4-10 folks here in town that I DO NOT respect with regards to their attitudes that are apparent by some rental aircraft I have flown :shock: :o :roll: .
Now from my perspective, while I wish they could do this, from the FAA's perspective and the way most people think, it would not be considered fair for the FAA to make a special rule against such people, so, if they want to make it illegal for such people who ARE a hazard, guess what... EVERYONE has to suffer. But there is a good reason behind it.

By the way. IN THE STATEMENTS ABOVE I AM IN NO WAY SAYING ANYTHING DEROGATORY ABOUT WARBIRD ADVENTURES. THIS WAS CLEARLY AN ACCIDENT AND I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT THEY WOULD HAVE LET THIS OCCUR IF THEY HAD KNOWN THERE WAS A POTENTIAL PROBLEM.

So you see, it really gets down to a matter of self-government, which in the end, is based on your worldview. If we do what we know is right. If we look at the principles behind the actions. If we are more responsible as pilots, and owners, and maintenance personnel, then at the very least, we are doing our part to rectify the situation. And I would suggest that if you see someone (like some folks I know) doing shoddy stuff, or if you find out something new that could be a problem, do something about it before it gets to the FAA level. Say something to that rental place or FBO, or talk to some responsible group and take what action you can BEFORE someone gets killed. Usually by the time something gets to the AD point, it really could be very serious. I wonder how many T-6s have had cracks before that could have warned of a potential problem like this.

Just my 2 cents,

Ryan
Private Pilot

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:24 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Quote:
So you see, it really gets down to a matter of self-government, which in the end, is based on your worldview. If we do what we know is right. If we look at the principles behind the actions. If we are more responsible as pilots, and owners, and maintenance personnel, then at the very least, we are doing our part to rectify the situation. And I would suggest that if you see someone (like some folks I know) doing shoddy stuff, or if you find out something new that could be a problem, do something about it before it gets to the FAA level. Say something to that rental place or FBO, or talk to some responsible group and take what action you can BEFORE someone gets killed. Usually by the time something gets to the AD point, it really could be very serious. I wonder how many T-6s have had cracks before that could have warned of a potential problem like this.

Ryan I agree with you entirely, and glad you said this. This is a component that has been missing from the various discussions which I've been trying to point out all along.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:45 am 

HarvardIV wrote:
Hey Guys:

I'll write it 50 times

That is ONLY 32 - You owe us another 18!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

right on ryan, this is supposed to be fun, but informative discussion. i've stirred up a few bee hives, but not intentionally. i have been into warbirds since 1972, i'm now 43, do the math, & i still don't have all the answers. some of you need to keep your ears open & your a**holes shut!! bottom line. bitch about something serious to the country, not about a bunch of people who number under 1000 in total membership to a web site who have to prove they know all it all about a bunch of flying antiques. yes, i love them, but on the grand scale....... who in the world gives a rat's ass??? i always stand corrected when proven wrong. some of you need a little whip cream with your humble pie, so lighten up. regards, tom

Last edited by tom d. friedman on Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:08 pm 

Ryan
as of yesterday from Lance Acft NO (0) cracks and 6 orders for attach angles due to corrosion .. these should have been checked every year at the annual as per AD 50-38-01 and should'nt just now been noticed