Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 88  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I can't recall who any of these people were, but they were sure some nice folks. Lol :wink:
.. And amazing guys with lots of generous time, commitment and class. Honored to have spent a bit of time with each one of them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:23 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Mark Allen M wrote:
I can't recall who any of these people were, but they were sure some nice folks. Lol :wink:

Aren't those guys: Andy Gump, Larry the Cable Guy and a fat Will Ferrell?

We brought her from: Image to this in 3 months: Image Help us get her all the way back Image

All donations are tax deductible as the Stockton Field Aviation Museum is a 501c3 nonprofit organization. Tell a friend as the Harpoon needs all the help she can get.

Thank you!

Taigh Ramey
Vintage Aircraft, Stockton, California
http://www.twinbeech.com
'KEEP ‘EM FLYING…FOR HISTORY!'

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:43 pm 
KiwiZac

Taigh, thanks so much for sharing the stories and photos. It brings a tear to my eye to see a gent like Earl, oxygen hose on his face, flying the ship. Brilliant, brilliant stuff! Please don't stop sharing!

May I second the call for a book, or initiate it? pop1

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:09 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Awesome job with the vets and 062 Taigh! Keep it up.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:41 pm 

Thanks for the update on the Harpoon and the vets. I was going through some serious withdrawal :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:52 pm 

A couple of pics from when you guys showed up for Mustang Days at the Nut Tree a couple years ago.

Will

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:41 pm 

Alright Ladies and Gentlemen, the Stockton Field Aviation Museum's Facebook page is up and running. Like the link to follow the latest news from the Museum!

https://www.facebook.com/sfamuseum

Thanks Ken

Vice-President
Stockton Field Aviation Museum
PV-2D Harpoon 84062

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:54 pm 
KiwiZac

Liked and Shared :supz:

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:53 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

We had taken the Harpoon to the Salinas air show and flew during the show instead of being a static display like we have in the past. It was a blast to wring out the Harpoon and show it off to the crowd.

We did shed some paint from the right rudder where it looked like the dope didn't adhere to the fabric. We have been wanting to replace the fabric and it was scheduled for this winter. Art came to the rescue and patched up our rudder for us so we could finish the show and the season. Now we need to buy or see if someone might donate the covering supplies for the rudders. It's always something; welcome to the world of paying with old aircraft! Funds are in short supply so we have to spend our limited money as wisely as possible.

After Salinas we had pretty much figured that our season was over as we didn't have any other shows scheduled. Veterans Day was coming up so we thought that the museum should do something to commemorate the day. This is what we are all about anyway. Ken had the crash truck scheduled for a parade in Escalon. I thought that we should use some of the fuel we have left for a special flight in the PV-2. How about we get as many PV vets up and flying at once while we overfly parades and other events going on in the area.

I asked our known PV vets if they were interested and they were up for it. We had three for sure and were still waiting to hear back from the other three. So we were a go.

Robin started the work to get the Harpoon all ready. It takes one guy a long day to prep the PV-2. Everything from the pre flight, servicing of fuel and oil and giving her a bath not to mention the checking the systems, hydraulics, accumulators etc. Lots to do to be sure she is all ready to go.
Robin is the future of Warbirds for me. He is a 20 year old kid with the Warbird illness all the way into his DNA. Its a blast to pass on the knowledge to him and my daughter Sydney. I think these two will be able to take Vintage Aircraft on to the future. Good kids!

Our vets came from around California. Here they are all together. Earl, Pat and John. Earl was with VPB-128, Pat PPB-135 and John was in VPB-136. Quite the good looking crew!

First up in the right seat was Pat. I wish I could have the vets in the left seat but the PV-2 only has brakes on the left side so sadly I can't let this seat go.

Pat and I running through the after engine start checklist

Pat syncing up the props when we were setting cruise power. I don't think he needed me here as he was doing great without me

Looks right at home doesn't he?

Our first flyover was set for San Jose where they have one of the largest Veterans Day parades around the country. The only problem was that it was right in the departure corridor for San Jose International Airport. No worries as the controllers there were more than friendly. I was announcing us as a WWII Navy Patrol Bomber with three WWII vets flying in a Veterans Day tribute. Some controllers didn't seem too interested and others were more than happy to help out.

You can see SJC in the background as Pat did a couple of turns over the parade route

I think he is looking for enemy aircraft!

Pat stopped at Moffett Field in a PV-2 on his way to Whidbey Island in the new Harpoons as they made their way back to Attu. Pat was one of the first to fly the PV-2 in combat.

We asked for a low approach to Moffett which is now a Federal Airfield. Actually it was just leased by Google. The controller said stand by and checked with base ops to get approval for the low approach but they turned us down. We over flew the runway anyway and took these shots of Pat and Moffett. The wood hangars number 2 and 3

And the skeleton of hangar 1 waiting for its new skin courtesy of Google

John lives in Ramona, California which is pretty much at the opposite end of the state. He didn't hesitate and hopped on Southwest and headed up to join us. John was an Aviation Ordnanceman and rode the top turret in PV-1's and PV-2's. When I asked if he wanted to try out his old crew position he jumped at the chance.

Now getting in the top turret is quite the challenge for a young 20 year old but 91 year old John made it up there quicker than I could have.

He had quite the time in the Martin turret

Check out his hat

Earl decided to stay in the radar ops seat for the whole flight. He was using his iPad to take photos and videos!

We then ventured up the bay toward the Navy installations and flew by Hayward which was a Navy Marine base, then by NAS Oakland and did a few turns around NAS Alameda. Lots of history at Alameda for sure and a lot of Harpoons went through there during and after WWII. The base is famous for being the place where the Doolittle Raiders loaded their B-25's up on the USS Hornet. Today the second USS Hornet is berthed there as a floating museum. Our very own Mark told me about the Veterans Day festivities going on at the Hornet which is what gave me the idea of the flight over the bay area. Thanks Mark.

Above and below are good views of NAS Alameda. In the photo below you can see the USS Hornet museum. Hey Mark!

While we were in the first turn over Alameda we had a crew change and John took the right seat and Pat took to the radio ops seat just behind the pilot and copilot. John did a great job flying and had a big smile the whole time

You can see NAS Alameda through the windscreen. The USS Hornet is just off of the left side with the other ships. The hangars and airfield are visible in the upper right. The road where the Doolittle B-25s were towed can be seen from the field toward the piers.

The airfield at NAS Alameda mostly used by Mythbusters these days. Downtown San Francisco on the right edge at the end of the bay bridge

John flew us around San Francisco where we checked out the Navy and military history as we flew over to let everyone listen to the Pratt & Whitney R2800's.

Just within a few miles you can find NAS Alameda, Treasure Island, the Presidio, Fort Baker, Fort Point, Crissy Field, Hamilton Field and lots of other military installations. Lots of military and especially Navy history around here.

We flew over most of it to pay our respects. Navy vets flying over their old installations

Heading down over Golden Gate Park toward downtown San Fransisco you can see Treasure Island. Fort Point, the Presidio and Crissy Field is off of our left wing. There were a few isolated services going on in the city but they had their parade on Sunday the 9th not on the 11th day of the 11th month at the eleventh hour

The piers visible are where the WWII ship USS Jeremiah O'Brien and the Submarine USS Pampanito are berthed.

A better view of Treasure Island where the Clippers operated from. The hangars visible on the right side of the island

After our Bay tour we headed back home to beautiful, charming Stockton...

Here is John emerging from the Harpoon with the same smile he had the whole time. He said he could hardly sleep the night before as he was so excited. A giddy 91 year old guy is a sweet thing to behold for sure.

Three happy Naval aviators. A good time was had by all

The guys took some flak themselves on the flight. 062 has a way of extracting some blood with every job. Pat shows his bandaged hand and bloodied pants and John took a hit to the elbow. Its not easy moving around in the old gal. Lots of equipment to poke holes in you

After the flight we went to Applebees and had a great late lunch. They pull out all of the stops for the vets there. Well done Applebees!

When Pat was leaving Attu at the end of the war the photo lab was burning lots of photos so Pat saved a lot of them. He has lost some over the years by loaning them out and they never came back but he has made an album which is awesome to say the least. The cool thing was he and John looking at it together as John didn't have any photos of his wartime experiences. John was in the next Squadron with Pat so they had a lot in common. Very cool!

Needless to say it was a wonderful Veterans day celebration. Getting these great guys up and flying over the old Navy installations and the parades turned out better than we expected for sure. We want to get all of the PV guys back up and flying whenever we can. If you know any PV crew that may want to participate please send them our way.

I hate to do it but I am told I must. We need to make a plea for any donations you all could send our way. We are doing all of this with volunteers on a half a shoestring budget so every dollar makes a big difference. We are a 501(c)3 nonprofit (with heavy emphasis on the nonprofit part) so please spread the word to anyone who could help us to carry our our mission to preserve, restore and operate 062 and to get all of the PV vets flying before they cant come out to play with us. Donations are tax deductible as we are IRS approved for that.

We need funds to recover the rudders, getting the guns back in the nose and the usual fun things like insurance and operating cost. Anything helps.

Thanks Robert for your donation and thanks to anyone else, in advance, for your contributions.

We brought her from: Image to this in 3 months: Image Help us get her all the way back Image

All donations are tax deductible as the Stockton Field Aviation Museum is a 501c3 nonprofit organization. Tell a friend as the Harpoon needs all the help she can get.

Thank you!

Taigh Ramey
Vintage Aircraft, Stockton, California
http://www.twinbeech.com
'KEEP ‘EM FLYING…FOR HISTORY!'

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes indeed Taigh, I knew that was you. I was stuck a mile away from the Hornet at a traffic light. I had a late start getting to the ship. I saw you through the trees flying over the old gal though. Several of the vets on the ship had a great view of you guys. Wonderful thing you did for your vets and our vets. It doesn't get better than that.

Best you give me a call about that little issue regarding financials. See what we can do.

PM anytime.

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:52 am 

Taigh and Crew,

What you're doing for these veterans and keeping history alive with the PV-2 is nothing short of amazing! I was reminded of my own flight with my late father in the Collings B-25 back in 2003. He had last flown a PBJ in 1945 and following our 40 minute flight he stepped down the ladder and said, "Son, I feel like I'm twenty years old again."

A donation coining your way via PayPal. Come on folks, it's easy. Please do the same.

Craig

Facebook Groups:

U.S. Marine Corps Sikorsky HRS / CH-19 Helicopter Database
U.S. Coast Guard Sikorsky HO4S / HH-19 Helicopter Database

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:26 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Taigh: I've got a partial roll of fabric stashed in one of the warehouses. Let me check and see what it is and if it's correctly rated, it will head your way. Should be able to get it dug out this afternoon.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:55 am 

The operators of warbirds are all worthy of support that being said, 062 is one of the most deserving warbirds out there. What Taigh is doing is so wonderful. I look forward to seeing all the pictures of these veterans flying 062. It's one thing for me and my kids to see these warbirds in the air again, but to see veterans having the opportunity to get back in the seat one last time is very moving. In high school I remember Veterans Day ceremonies when there would be tons of World War II Vets and a small handful of World War I Vets. Sadly the World War I Vets are all gone now and the World War II Vets are passing fast. Keep up the good work Taigh there is no great warbird mission than yours. I missed the opportunity to meet you in person in Oshkosh the year before so I have to thank you here, thank you Taigh keep up the great work!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:11 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Taigh, not a lot that I can say that hasn't already been said, but great job! I'm so impressed with the time and effort you take to honor the veterans and the work you do to preserve our WWII aviation history. I had a huge smile on my face seeing the pictures of the Harpoon vets in their old crew positions and in the right seat. The looks on their faces was priceless. It was worth every cent to me. Thank you to the vets for your service and thank you Taigh for your work.

Donation sent via Paypal.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:45 pm 

Taigh,
Best post of the year...
That is all...
Drew

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 88  Next