Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 88  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:00 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I have physically looked at two myself and I have photos of several others but the more the merrier. I would really like to get detailed shots inside the nose of the D's at CAF Midland, Tillamook, Lonestar and Chandler. Anyone have photos inside the nose of one or more of these aircraft? Any access to get photos? Anything helps as there will be some bracket left or who knows maybe the full structure might be untouched.

We brought her from: Image to this in 3 months: Image Help us get her all the way back Image

All donations are tax deductible as the Stockton Field Aviation Museum is a 501c3 nonprofit organization. Tell a friend as the Harpoon needs all the help she can get.

Thank you!

Taigh Ramey
Vintage Aircraft, Stockton, California
http://www.twinbeech.com
'KEEP ‘EM FLYING…FOR HISTORY!'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:53 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I used to belong to LSFM. I'll see if someone can get some inside photos.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:27 pm 

Taigh,
I think the Tillamook PV is in maintenance right now getting ready to ferry over to Madras, OR. It should fly over in the next month. Their new hangar is close to being done, I don't know anyone personally over there but I will contact someone who may be able to help.

Scott....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:59 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

That would be great. Thanks guys.

If they need any help flying her over I'll gladly throw my hat in the ring.

We brought her from: Image to this in 3 months: Image Help us get her all the way back Image

All donations are tax deductible as the Stockton Field Aviation Museum is a 501c3 nonprofit organization. Tell a friend as the Harpoon needs all the help she can get.

Thank you!

Taigh Ramey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:23 pm 

Taigh,
Are you folks going to bring the Poon to the dream machines show in Half Moon Bay this year? I am bringing a few cars and was hoping to see her.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:04 pm 

Sorry Bug, not this year. But, we will be at Travis AFB May 3rd & 4th. Come on out and see her!

Vice-President
Stockton Field Aviation Museum
PV-2D Harpoon 84062

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:22 pm 

I visited the PV-2D at the Travis Open House and Airshow. The plane looked great and was "Best in the Show" in my opinion. A big thanks go out to all the guys who allowed me to access the plane to take pictures. You are welcome at Travis anytime. Come on back and I'll give you access to the planes in the Museum.
ALOHA
DaveT

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:54 pm 

Nice write up in Stars & Stripes :)

http://www.stripes.com/news/veterans/memories-flow-as-3-veterans-fly-in-wwii-aerial-relic-1.281374

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Taigh, I just downloaded several "Pilots manuals" such as this one. I'm sure you already have a hard copy of this PV-2 manual but if someone wants a PDF file of it I'd be happy to mail a CD or e-mail the file to you or them.

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:37 pm 

I'm not sure if these shots have been posted here but they just popped up on the "Firebombers" facebook page.
Riaan Combrinck posted them.

Will

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:44 pm 
Aerial Pirate

As with Taigh, we've both got larger scans of these pictures, and since the first two are the exact same size as Taigh posted on the third page of this series, I'd say they were grabbed from here. There are a lot of other pictures on these pages, so the last two could be from here also.

We must limit politicians to two terms:
one in office and one in jail.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:02 am 

Any chance of an update out of Stockton?

Travis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:02 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Travisd80elcam wrote:
Any chance of an update out of Stockton?

Travis

I am very sorry for dropping the ball on updates for so long. I have uploaded a large batch of photos and I will begin creating the update soon. In the mean time here is a teaser for you:

Lots to report. Once again I apologize.

Taigh

Thank you!

Taigh Ramey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Taigh Ramey wrote:
I am very sorry for dropping the ball on updates for so long. I have uploaded a large batch of photos and I will begin creating the update soon. In the mean time here is a teaser for you:

Lots to report. Once again I apologize.

Taigh

Does Doug Jeanes know his niece is part of your flight crew? :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:44 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

One of the ongoing maintenance issues with a project like this is replacing pretty much every O-ring and rubber seal throughout the aircraft and its systems. We are getting to them slow but sure but some demand to be put at the top of the list. We have had a weeping shaft seal on the flap cylinder for a little while and it was time to fix it. The flap cylinder on the PV-1 and PV-2 are mounted in a box near the rear spar in the center of the fuselage. You have to step up on to this box which also is the aft support for a floor structure between that and the main spar or in Navy/Lockheed terms; the main beam.

A cover is removed which gives access to the cylinder and the pulleys that make up a part of the Fowler Flap control system. The Fowler Flap system is not your average flap system and it was quite advanced for its time. I'm shooting from the hip here so beware: Robert Fowler invented this flap system that would allow a dramatic change in the airfoil of the wing. Instead of a simple hinged flap that makes up the trailing edge or a split trailing edge his system would move a separate airfoil on tracks back and down thus significantly changing the airfoil or shape of the wing. His system was a vast improvement and was real efficient.

How the Fowler flap system operated, especially in the early days, involved a lot of cables, pulleys and tracks and trolleys. The Fowler flap system is still in use on pretty much every airliner and many other aircraft built today. from what I understand Mr. Fowler invented the system back in WWII and donated the technology to the aircraft industry for the war effort. He was supposed to receive royalties after the war was over but never did. I heard he died a poor man. Once again it is hearsay from a friend of the Fowler family so take it for what that is worth.

Since the 2014 airshow season was fast approaching Ricky took on the leaky flap problem and he started in January. He determined that we would have to de-rig the flap cables so the cylinder could be removed from the cylinder box. On the Fowler system one main cable will go into a tube and attach to a disc and three more cables will attach to the other side of that disc. Those individual cables head off and multiply themselves into several more cables. Needless to say it is quite the array cables heading off all over the place two of each going to each trolley and there are five trolleys/tracks per flap. Adjusting one cable changes tension and thus rigging on all of the others and can cause uneven flap tracking which can cause rare and important parts to tweak, bend or otherwise be real unhappy.

This is a shot from the maintenance manual showing the flap system and its cables and pulley compliment:

Here is Robin helping out Ricky by removing one of several tubes that cover the one cable into three assemblies. This tube keeps the disc and cables in place and lets it move smoothly without snagging on surrounding structure or other cables.

Removing the tubes allows the main cables to be disconnected thus relieving the tension so they can be removed from the flap cylinder and its pulley/block and tackle mechanism.

Cousin Mike even came out and helped Ricky with this project. Thanks Cousin Mike! In this shot you can see one of the five flap tracks on each side of the aircraft and the cables that run to the flap trucks or trolleys. There is one up and one down cable per truck. The bumps or protruding fairings on the trailing edge of the wing cover up the aft end of the flap tracks. The same is true today on those big fairings on the wings of airliners.

With Robin looking on Ricky is removing the cylinder in less than ideal conditions. Access is limited and a second set of hands is often needed from the bomb bay side.

Here is Ricky with the flap cylinder in question. It took a long time just to get to this point.

After the cylinder is removed for rework the well and box area is cleaned and prepped. Robin took on this job.

Some interesting graffiti shows up around 062 when accesing the flap pulleys. Connie Hirth from Hirth Air Tankers name appeared for about the 5th time as did some factory comments and noted from Lockheed Burbank

Ricky rebuilds the cylinder and cleans up the pulley brackets. He also replaces some pulleys and reprocesses the bearings on others as needed.

Ricky rebuilt the flap cylinder and was able to replace some of the parts with new ones that came from a large stash of PV parts we had acquired early on. Its nice to have some spares available to keep the old gal up and running. The cylinder was pressure tested and went back in. Ricky re rigged the system (no easy task mind you!) and it worked beautifully. Awesome job Ricky, as usual. You da man!

Lots of work to keep a big old gal like this up and running. Thankfully we have some fantastic volunteers that pitch in to help make it happen. We all appreciate the help we have but if any of you want to come out and lend a hand please do so. Its a lot of work but a lot of fun too. We also appreciate any monetary contributions too.

Thanks again!

Thank you!

Taigh Ramey

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 88  Next