Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 88  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:38 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks for the kind words and especially thanks for the donations guys. the money and the fabric sure helps a lot. we will put it to good use.

Mark, I need a phone number to call you and thanks in advance for any assistance.

We have have been contacting our local vets so far to go flying with us. I wonder about getting in touch with southwest Airlines or the other carriers and maybe local hotels to see if they might donate flights and rooms for vets to come to us from around the country. It has been a great experience with the few PV guys we have taken up and it would be outstanding to be able to reach as many as possible while they can come out and fly with us.

Even though we still have a lot of work to do to get the Harpoon back in proper WWII shape we need to keep getting the aircraft to shows and get the vets up as much as possible. It was always our desire to keep 062 as a flying restoration for many reasons but flying the Vets was the first priority as soon as we could get their crew positions looking the way they should.

Thanks for all of the support from the WIX Members. From the positive comments to the generous donations of time, materials and funds, we really appreciate it.

WIX members have basically given us our annual operating budget and project funds to be able to have accomplished what we have so far. If it wasn't for you folks we wouldn't have been able to get as far as we have in such a short time.

From all of us

THANK YOU!

We brought her from: Image to this in 3 months: Image Help us get her all the way back Image

All donations are tax deductible as the Stockton Field Aviation Museum is a 501c3 nonprofit organization. Tell a friend as the Harpoon needs all the help she can get.

Thank you!

Taigh Ramey
Vintage Aircraft, Stockton, California
http://www.twinbeech.com
'KEEP ‘EM FLYING…FOR HISTORY!'

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PM sent Taigh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:04 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Taig......

Like all the other ones have said.....

THANK YOU.....

For them, the greatest generation. The pics of their faces and emotions carry more significance than the bird itself. Simply amazing. I simply view of what you are doing ( as an analogy only...with a different budget of course!!!!) as the equivalent of extreme home makeover but for the old guard.

Question: Have you considered branching out and making a show out of your work????? Just look at the success of ice pilots. I know it would make the experience somewhat different for the vets, but just sticking a few gopro cams and mikes like comedian in cars getting coffee does would immortalize the events in a different way while potentially helping you fund your project while the veterans are still gracing our mother earth....Anyway just my 2 cents....

For me, no words can express my feelings and respect for your work. THANK YOU...again......

P.S. I update my 2 young sons on this thread often to show them what the true meaning of dedication and sacrifice really means.

Michel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:03 pm 

Taigh, I have had the op to fly in the Harpoon with you and these WWII vets a coupla times, and seeing their smiles and joy as they work the controls they hadn't used in ~70 years, just as if they were still 20, but then thereafter <<SIGH>> coming back to today, and they needing help getting out of the Harpoon, always brings tears... Thanks for what you do!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:06 pm 

I just flashed though 4 years of amazing work you and your crew did on the ol' 101!

When I grow up...this is exactly what I want to do!

Thanks for a great journey...this is an amazing thread!

29erJ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:45 pm 

I posted a link to these on the FB page, but here they are again just in case you didn't see them. :-)

A couple of photos of 'Tanker 101' circa 1976.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-35mm-K ... 1527263908
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-35mm-K ... 1704929502

:partyman:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:22 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

gone. :(

Last edited by Lon Moer on Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:27 am 

rcaf_100 wrote:
I posted a link to these on the FB page, but here they are again just in case you didn't see them. :-)

A couple of photos of 'Tanker 101' circa 1976.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-35mm-K ... 1527263908
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-35mm-K ... 1704929502

:partyman:

I didn't see them on either page, now they are gone.....anyone save them? Love to see them.....

I am a citizen of the Air

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:59 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I know its been forever since I have posted anything here about 062 but better late than never...I hope

Things have been a bit quiet as we have hit a few air shows. we have some significant ones coming up so we wanted to address our paint problem that has been plaguing us for several years now.

A paint manufacturer was kind enough to donate the paint to us which we greatly appreciate. Unfortunately it turned into an ordeal that has cost the museum and my business, Vintage Aircraft, quite a lot. First the paint that was sent to us, directly from the Aerospace paint factory, had the wrong catalyst which we didn't figure out until we had painted the aircraft. It turns out the only way to remove the paint that would never harden was to scrape it off with razor blades and then wash the residue with acetone and rags. Then we could re shoot the paint.

The paint company was kind enough to rush us out another batch of paint.

I had decided to shut Vintage Aircraft down for a week so we could all go and do the initial clean, prep, prime and paint. Sadly the bad catalyst cost us a another week and was, to say the least, financially very hard to bear.

Although when we rolled the Harpoon out of that hangar after we painted her it just took your breath away as it looked that good. We were very happy with her new/original look. It looked so good that whenever I was stressing out about the position my business was now in I would just go and take a look at the Harpoon and it seemed to take all of the worries away for a little while.

Not long after that paint we made some covers for the cockpit, turret and astrodome to protect the glass and the interior from the harsh sun. It worked but we also soon noticed that the paint had now started to fade away almost immediately. You could easily see the difference under covers and even under the bungee cords that were holding the covers on.

A good comparison shot of the flap that has been out of the sun for the most part. Sea Blue that transitioned to Sea Foam

Here is the door for the GPU and I had just removed a decal so the contrast is pretty dramatic.

More phone calls to the factory and they said that of course the paint should last 10 years not just one. They sent out their paint reps to take a look and they measured the paint and electronically tested it and determined that it was the proper thickness and they figured that we had simply gotten a bad batch of paint.

The company offered and did send us a new batch of paint which is when I started to have flashbacks about putting the manpower out to paint the Harpoon once again. Oh crap here we go again! After expressing my concerns about what we had gone through before they felt bad and said they would try to find someone to paint it for us. What a relief! To make a really long story a bit shorter we spend the last year plus going back and forth and the paint company said well, we can't afford to paint it for you so since we sent you a new ship set of paint we have done our warranty work and you are on your own. Cool, thanks... and we had taken so long for the negotiations over the last year that the paint they had sent was now out of date and past its shelf life.

Here is the frustrating part for me and all of us here at our museum. We are beyond grateful that the paint company gave us the paint in the first place. Then their mistake with the catalyst cost us dearly but they sent another batch. Then the new paint started fading in less than a year. It is hard to get upset when they gifted us the paint to begin with but in the overall scheme of things the paint becomes secondary to the amount of effort and expense that goes into the preparation and then the painting itself. Having to do this all over again so soon is really hard but what can you say to the folks that gave you the gift to begin with. Looking the old gift horse in the mouth...

I wonder if we are going to have to paint the aircraft every year or two. I sure hope not.

We also had ourselves up against a wall with some upcoming airshows and filming for a movie so we needed to get her all fixed up and looking good again. We just buckled down and rallied the troops to get her cleaned, prepped and repainted. First was two weekends ago we put the word out to come and help us clean the ol gal and scuff the paint in preparation for paint. A few showed up and we had about 9 of us began scrubbing her all over.

We were able to get her in what we call the Dog House. A pole barn like structure built on the back of the surviving WWII hangars here at Stockton Field.

And the work begins. Scrubbing her clean and scuffing the paint so the topcoat will adhere properly.

Here is Sydney showing her prune like hands. I don't think anyone had any fingerprints left after we were all done that day

The cleaning and scrubbing crew at the end of the day. Many others came and went throughout the day to lend a hand. Thank you all!

Throughout the next week and weekend we did the final cleaning and prep for the new paint. Going all over the aircraft to remove all traces of dirt, oil or dust. We also masked off the star and bars and everything else that needed protection

Here are the two guys who volunteered to do the actual shooting of the paint. Our own Jordan, painting guru extrodinaire on the left and one of our former employees Cade who shot paint on the Harpoon the first time around. Cade works as a builder and painter for Chuck in Cameron Park on Mr. Slatterys SBD and SB2C. Thanks guys for the shootin'!

We used a paint pot that my Dad bought at a garage sale probably 30+ years ago. An old Binks pot that we used the first time around on the Harpoon and on occasion in the shop. Great Pot Pops! Hopefully he is looking down on us and laughing at the entertaining reality show! I miss you dad

We made a stencil for the occasion and painted it on the backs of the PV-2D shirts for the volunteers that helped out. Painted with the same Non Specular Sea Blue that we used on the Harpoon itself. I hope it doesn't fade too soon!!

Thank you all for coming out and helping. Thank you too for your support whether it is physically, financially, verbally or just in spirit. We all appreciate it.

A very special thanks to you Bill for your ongoing support and help with the Harpoon and everything else. A great bunch of folks for sure!

We brought her from: Image to this in 3 months: Image Help us get her all the way back Image

All donations are tax deductible as the Stockton Field Aviation Museum is a 501c3 nonprofit organization. Tell a friend as the Harpoon needs all the help she can get.

Thank you!

Taigh Ramey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:51 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Wow to fade that quickly in a year is insane! Great job though she is going to look fantastic!

________

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:39 pm 
KiwiZac

Thanks for sharing the photos and story Taigh, I can't help but feel for you and the crew. That fade certainly is dramatic.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:47 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

What a bummer! What did ya'll replace the out of date paint with? Did I miss it in the text? Well...looks good! Gooood luck on the longevity, Taigh! pop2

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:20 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

They did send us a fresh batch which is what we used last weekend. Fingers crossed!

Thank you!

Taigh Ramey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:46 pm 

You Could have claimed that the paint was WWII authentic as the lifespan of the paint wasn't a major concern during the war.. Gawd I Feel For You Guys!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:29 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Sorry about my belly aching. I guess it's like buying a new engine that turns out to be bad. Going through all the drill to change it out and then find that the new engine is junk. The builder says 'oops sorry, send it back for a new one'. No sweat right? The engine, or the paint in our case, is the small part when compared to the man hours and material cost needed to prep it and just get ready for paint. Frustrating beyond belief but the pain is dulled when she comes out in the sun and looks like she is supposed to once again.

She was a hit at Watsonville Airport day. We had probably 300 people crawl through the Harpoon. Longest lines we have seen.

We will be at Reno next as it looks like our filming debut with the USS Indianapolis movie is off. They are on a severely tight budget and we can't donate to their movie so we couldn't come to terms. Oh well.

Thank you!

Taigh Ramey

Last edited by Taigh Ramey on Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 88  Next