Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 88  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:13 pm 

No, not a Connie, but man I wish!

No, not Lady Loadstar, but we could use some pieces!

The answer is NC6166!

Vice-President
Stockton Field Aviation Museum
PV-2D Harpoon 84062

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:41 pm 

please dont throw any stones my way, but when i went to the faa website to see what the n number was assigned to. It said that it was an invalid number. Can i get a hint for the none computer literate. Thanks and as always Thanks Ken and Taigh for bringing us along with your work. always enjoy reading and hearing about the working on the west coast.

Travis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:55 pm 

NC6166 is a Lockheed 18-56 Lodestar, serial # 2322, I think. C-60A

Last edited by pjpahs on Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:06 pm 

That would be her! I can't post any pictures as my computer is down and am posting from my ipad.

Try N6166. Most photos of her have her listed as NC6166.

Vice-President
PV-2D Harpoon 84062

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:32 pm 

Got a extended tour of Harpoon 84062 last year at Topeka when I said the magic password "REDTRACER". Found thru Airliners .net that this Lodestar has WW2 history and was converted to a Howard Spartan and was once owned by Cary Grant, quite a resume'. Hope I didn't step on any toes revealing this.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:58 pm 

Congrats on the Lodestar! there is a thread from 2009 with pics already here on WIX

http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33692&start=15

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:11 pm 

Thanks guys! We are going to give her some TLC and get some wind back under her wings again. She may never be back to WWII original, but should be a good representation.

Vice-President
PV-2D Harpoon 84062

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:45 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Cool news guys on the Lodestar. She looks to be in okay shape given the amount of time she's been sitting at Yolo. Can't wait to see pics of your work on her and on the 'Poon.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:04 pm 

Has our favorite Harpoon story been abandoned for a Lodestar? Oh the humanity! She was such a nice bird too!

OK so it's just a hint to let us know how 101 is doing :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:11 pm 

Don't worry Dan, she's up at Reno enjoying the Air Races! Once she's home we'll post an update. BWT anyone going to the California International Airshow Salinas? She'll be flying in the show both days! Come on by and say hi. Hope to see you there!

Vice-President
PV-2D Harpoon 84062

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:27 pm 

Not as cool looking as last years shots from Reno, but I shot this Saturday night.

Will

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:02 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Dan Johnson II wrote:
Has our favorite Harpoon story been abandoned for a Lodestar? Oh the humanity! She was such a nice bird too!

OK so it's just a hint to let us know how 101 is doing :)

Sorry, a recent computer overhaul has temporarily left me unable to upload photos to and edit the web site. I will try to catch up soon. We have had some cool PV vets come flying with us and actually flying the Harpoon too. More to come as soon as I can figure out the proper hammer to use on the computer.

Very cool photo of 062 at Reno. Thanks for posting it.

We brought her from: Image to this in 3 months: Image Help us get her all the way back Image

All donations are tax deductible as the Stockton Field Aviation Museum is a 501c3 nonprofit organization. Tell a friend as the Harpoon needs all the help she can get.

Thank you!

Taigh Ramey
Vintage Aircraft, Stockton, California
http://www.twinbeech.com
'KEEP ‘EM FLYING…FOR HISTORY!'

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:39 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

A lot of our recent work on the PV-2 has been what was needed to keep her up and ready for air shows. More importantly and something that we are quite proud of has been getting any PV vets we come across up flying again in 'ol 062. He have had the honor of meeting a few more PV crew and have made it possible for them to get back into their crew positions in flight.

We took 062 to the Mather Field show where we met James Burdick who was a PV radioman and was stationed at Whidbey Island, Moffett Field and Kaneoe during and after the war. He sat inside 062 at Mather and I offered him his radio seat from Mather to Reno. He said he had to think about it and that he would get back to me. He seemed a bit hesitant.

We ask the PV vets to sign our donation bomb. Here he is doing just that

Mr. Burdick called a short time later and now sounded more than thrilled at the opportunity to fly with us to Reno. He took up his seat at the radio ops position and had a great time

We were finally able to get Earl Snyder up in the right seat on the way to Mather. Earl is a PV Aviation Ordnanceman who flew coastal patrol off of New York and from the top turret he shot at and was also shot down by a German U boat in WWII. earl is a hoot and hangs around the Harpoon rain or shine and talks to the people. Man can he work a crowd!

Earl also flew with us to Reno with his daughter

Here he is, 93 years old, on his feet all day talking to the crowd at Reno. Earl is tougher than the rest of us by far. Its a good day! Every day wityh a warbird and the guys and gals that flew them makes for a good day!

John Leep has joined us at Reno for the last two years. He is also the first PV vet me met NAS North Island in San Diego for the Centennial of Naval Aviation celebration. Ken posted a video on YouTube of John talking about his PV experiences back in February 2011 at CONA. Our first air show in 062.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwXbXOzkZT8

Here is John hanging out under the wing talking to the people at Reno

Another delight was a visitor named Alan Lockheed Jr. whose name you might recognize as his Father was the guy who built Lockheed and built 062 in WWII. Very cool to listen to his stories of his Father and colleagues at Lockheed where he grew up as a kid

Alan Lockheed was given a tour of the inside of 062 by Pat Patteson. Pat is a WWII PV vet from the Aleutians where he did three tours!!

Mr. Lockheed noticed the drafting arm on the navigators table and told us a story about the guy who adapted the standard drafting arm for navigational use in aircraft. What a great story and to have him tell this to us from the nav table with the navigators drafting machine.

We had a great spot at Reno near the flightline for the NAHI event. The Harpoon seemed to be popular and always had a crown around her and folks asking lots of questions. Mostly people had never heard of the PV's and what they did in WWII which is why we are here. Its very cool to have the story told by the guys who were there. This is what it is all about for us

Belated congratulations to Wix's own Brad and his lovely wife, John Lane and his lovely wife for winning the Hap Arnold trophy at the NAHI event with their awesome FG-1D.

The Harpoon was used as the backdrop for the event along with the Corsair. GO NAVY!

http://heritagetrophy.org/photo_gallery_pop.php?galleryid=45&photo=4

Our mission continues to get the PV out to as many shows as we can. We are limited by funding so she only makes it out when her gas and oil are covered by the show or sponsors. We have been fortunate to have met a bunch of PV vets and to have had most all of them up flying with us. Its been a good year!

We brought her from: Image to this in 3 months: Image Help us get her all the way back Image

All donations are tax deductible as the Stockton Field Aviation Museum is a 501c3 nonprofit organization. Tell a friend as the Harpoon needs all the help she can get.

Thank you!

Taigh Ramey
Vintage Aircraft, Stockton, California
http://www.twinbeech.com
'KEEP ‘EM FLYING…FOR HISTORY!'

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:09 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Taigh....thank you for sharing those great stories and doing it for the greatest generation........

Sincerely.

Michel

Last edited by Michel Lemieux on Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:09 pm 

So wonderful reuniting these veterans with their old mount! Thank You, Taigh and team.

Craig

Facebook Groups:

U.S. Marine Corps Sikorsky HRS / CH-19 Helicopter Database
U.S. Coast Guard Sikorsky HO4S / HH-19 Helicopter Database

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 88  Next