Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:57 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

While looking through my D.VII photo files for the Knowlton photo I got to thinking that the D.VII was a pretty cool plane. So thought I'd pull a few more photos to share with you all. I haven't seen that many D.VIIs, so I'm not limiting this to flyers but am also including museum specimens. Roughly in chronological order:

1. The Smithsonian's original D.VII pictured in 1973 before the NASM was built. Painstakingly restored in its original colors and markings.

2. Fred Berg built D.VII replica N1918F in the 1960s. It is shown here at Oshkosh 1974. Hall-Scott M5A engine, said to be a copy of the Mercedes. This machine last flew in 1975 and today is with Jerry Yagen's collection, still in this fanciful paint scheme.

3. Cole Palen's D.VII replica, sometimes described as an original, was a staple of the early Rhinebeck shows. By 1979, when this photo was taken, it was pretty much retired. It used an original Mercedes and was painted in Willi Gabriel's markings. Subsequently this plane went to the NMUSAF where, after a complete rebuild in Texas ...

4. ... it went on display in Rudolf Start's colors. Photo is from 2003 or so.

5. The Champlin museum had this replica, N38038, dressed up in Rudolf Berthold's markings, here in 1988. I understand that it is now in the Seattle museum. I looked for it when I was there, but couldn't see much. I think I bumped into something in the darkness that could have been it.

6. Registered C-GWWI, the Great War Flying Museum's D.VII replica used to be in the all-white scheme of Hermann Goering. It is now repainted in Berthold's markings. Ranger engine.

7. C-GWWI leads the museum's Dr.I replica C-GFJK in a 1989 airshow.

8. In 1990, Byron Peterson had this replica D.VII under way at Bartlesville, OK.

9. A couple of years later, it looked gorgeous, now registered N1918P.

10. Looked nice in the air too. I don't know what pilot or unit the markings represent. Ranger engine.

11. Original D.VII at the Musee de l'Air, Le Bourget, late 1990s. The early aviation and WWI hall at Le Bourget has to be one of the most amazing rooms full of aviation artifacts in the world.

12. In 1993 the second Rhinebeck D.VII was completed. N70814 is shown here in 1995.

13. Beautiful airplane that sounded terrific with its original Mercedes engine.

14. I never figured out whether the fuselage motif of the villagers hunting the giant rabbit is authentic. Sure was fun though.

15. By 2005 the plane had been re-covered and the fuselage was now gray with this devilish design.

16. Still just as much fun to see in action. I understand that this airplane has just been through another restoration and has returned to the air in the past month or so.

17. Cavanaugh's D.VII replica N1258 is in Ernst Udet's colors.

18. When I last visited Pensacola in 2006, I was surprised by the nice WWI collection they had added since the old days. Their replica is in Gabriel's markings just like the old Rhinebeck machine.

Hope you've enjoyed these. Post yours!

August

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Lovely selection August. Despite the allergy some warbird fans have for biplanes, the D.VII can't be overlooked as one of the greatest fighters in history.

Quote:
The early aviation and WWI hall at Le Bourget has to be one of the most amazing rooms full of aviation artifacts in the world.

A-b-s-o-l-o-o-t-l-y :)

I recall the Hannas having a flying replica at Duxford for a few years, then there's others like the one in Dutch colours in Holland and the New Zealand airworthy replica I saw at Omaka.

I'll see if I can dig out some pics when I find time - thanks for troubling to do so!

Cheers

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:05 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The original ORA one had original wings and tails from a 2 seat Fokker C.I, cut down to D.VII size. It did go to USAF Museum but none of it was used in the one there now, that was built from scratch by Roger Freeman in Texas, who ended up with the airframe of the ORA one (AF Museum used the engine for the new repro). The AF didn't think the cut down C.I components were authentic enough and decided to have Roger build a whole new one.

The newer replica is in authentic colors, the Seven Swabians from a Grimms fairy tale, they chase the rabbit on one side and the rabbit chases them on the other side I think. Devil insignia was from the same squadron (some people didn't like the Swabians, but they're back now with the new recover job) Hope they take good care of it, they wrecked thier Curtiss Junior today, seem to have that habit the last few years...

Peterson's replica is in the colors of Carl-August von Schoenebeck, Jasta 33

The one the Hannas flew was I think all black with skull and crossbones? If that's the one Jerry Yagen just bought it from Italy, and I think it might fly at his WW1 fly-in next weekend.

The one in Pensacola was built by Stan Morrell in Texas, one of the first replicas of a D.VII to be built.

Other than that don't know much about D.VIIs...

-

Last edited by Baldeagle on Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:06 pm 
No Longer Active - per request

k5083 wrote:

14. I never figured out whether the fuselage motif of the villagers hunting the giant rabbit is authentic. Sure was fun though.

Gefreiter Wilhelm Scheutzel of Jasta 65.

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/5144 ... zeldw8.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Baldeagle wrote:
The one the Hannas flew was I think all black with skull and crossbones? ...

Sounds right to me.
Quote:
Other than that don't know much about D.VIIs...

:lol: Well, try harder! What's the carburettor serial? :axe:

Regards,

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

OK, here's one to hand.

Deutsches Museum, Oberschleißheim.

It's in the only (As far as I know) concrete hangar in the world designed to fit in visually with a castle...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:02 pm 

In the mid 1970's I visited an aviation museum in Santa Fe, New Mexico, called "Wings of Yesterday" or something to that effect. They had a D.VII (I don't know if it was an original or reproduction), among other things. Does anyone know the disposition of this aircraft, as well as the rest of the collection? I think the museum closed in the late 70's or early 1980's...

-Pat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:45 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Quote:
Well, try harder!

Will do...

ex-Hanna D.VII, now at Virginia Beach

-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:55 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Vintage Aero Flying Museum (Hudson, CO) Fokker D.VII on the way to Wisconsin in June, taken from their Fokker D.VIII

-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:07 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Here's a crappy old snapshot of mine..taken at Arapahoe County Airport south of Denver around 1984. I have no idea of the Fokker's identity, but I remember the airshow because it was the only time I ever got to see the great Art Scholl perform.

SN

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:44 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Steve Nelson wrote:
Here's a crappy old snapshot of mine..taken at Arapahoe County Airport south of Denver around 1984. I have no idea of the Fokker's identity,

That's the VAFM one in the photo above, since repainted into a more authentic scheme

-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:33 pm 
Senior Moderator

Doc Morel's Fokker D-VII replica - this aircraft now hangs in the National Museum of Naval Aviation

At the Cavanaugh Flight Museum

Join us for the Texas Warbird Report on WarbirdRadio.com!
Image http://www.facebook.com/WarbirdRadio
Listen at http://www.warbirdradio.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:31 pm 

Here is one I saw at Lakeland 1993 N11VD.

Mark F.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:43 am 

Great pics everyone!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:28 am 

JDK wrote:
OK, here's one to hand.

Deutsches Museum, Oberschleißheim.

It's in the only (As far as I know) concrete hangar in the world designed to fit in visually with a castle...

This one was stolen from the Dutch by Herman Göring when he visited Schiphol in June 1940. It was stored for the future museum there (which was prevented by the war). By the Germans stolen paintings and art objects were for a part returned to Holland, this one never was.

BW Roger