Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:50 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

DB2 wrote:
b747cf wrote:
DB2

These are the two you might have seen in Athens.
Mark F.

Odds are that is the other B-25! Thanks for posting those shots...brings back the memories. Perhaps the next time I'm back home I'll dig those photos up and scan them.

Yep, "if" that is the polished B-25 he's talking about, it rules out 2825B, as 1. she never had a forward dorsal turret that I am aware of, as she is a B-25 and not a J model. hmmmm Chapter XI perhaps, difficult to make out the serial

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:56 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

b747cf wrote:
DB2

These are the two you might have seen in Athens.

Mark F.

enlarged the photo, that is N6578D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:39 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Since Peter has shared some photos of the "Hanover Street" B-25s in their movie guise, I wonder about the following. Does anyone have photos of the five airplanes in the pre- movie colors? I've seen some old ones of "Laden Maiden" here in a post detailing John Stokes aircraft, but the rest of them are not so well documented on the net. "Tokyo Express" had previously been in Colorado (I seem to remember from to "Mitchells do fly in IMC"), "Always Dangerous" came from YAF in Tampa, FL, "Silver Plane" started out in Topeka, KS (YAF also, I think), and "Doolittle Raider" was bought from Lee Schaller at Schellville, CA.

T J

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:52 pm 

Hi Ryan,

Trust me as someone that helps to keep them flying; at our wing decals are not an issue as we have far more pressing matters to deal with. Also I can’t think of one visitor that mentioned yet alone noticed the decals. Also I don’t understand what the taxpayer statement has to do with this issue. I’m concerned that some of the readers might get some false impressions of the CAF as to funding and if they believe that taxpayers somehow fund the organization that assumption could have unforeseen consequences. I admit that I am an unabashed supporter of the CAF. For me I have always tried to see the big picture. My years of involvement have been exceedingly rewarding. I’m not naive and I am sure several others have found the CAF lacking. I can only speak to my experience in the SoCal Wing. I realize that each wing is probably different. I have never been to Midland and I am not involved in those politics. I’ll get off my soapbox!

Meeting adjourned!

Dan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:24 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Dan,

Quite honestly I could care less about them either way as I'm not a member of the CAF, and it's none of my business. I won't even try and call you on the $.012 in taxes I have paid on behalf of the CAF every year :lol:. I have my own stuff and I can paint it however I want, and do. I was simply answering the question asked by TJ which was pondering why they might be a bigger target.

All this is taking away form the original topic anyway which was all the nice folks who posted old pictures of bombers. Thanks to August and those who did.

Ryan

Dan Newcomb wrote:
Hi Ryan,

Trust me as someone that helps to keep them flying; at our wing decals are not an issue as we have far more pressing matters to deal with. Also I can’t think of one visitor that mentioned yet alone noticed the decals. Also I don’t understand what the taxpayer statement has to do with this issue. I’m concerned that some of the readers might get some false impressions of the CAF as to funding and if they believe that taxpayers somehow fund the organization that assumption could have unforeseen consequences. I admit that I am an unabashed supporter of the CAF. For me I have always tried to see the big picture. My years of involvement have been exceedingly rewarding. I’m not naive and I am sure several others have found the CAF lacking. I can only speak to my experience in the SoCal Wing. I realize that each wing is probably different. I have never been to Midland and I am not involved in those politics. I’ll get off my soapbox!

Meeting adjourned!

Dan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:43 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

bump

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:43 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

It's my understanding that the B-25 once known as "Silver Lady", most recently in Russian markings, is back at Aero Trader for rebuild.

Picture 36 of the CWH B-25 is from when it still had the JATO bottles in the tail gunner's position. It was my understanding that the plane had been an executive transport for Bendix, and they installed them so they wouldn't risk losing their people should an engine fail on take-off.

Picture 33, taken in '87, of 44-86893, said it was John Stokes' plane. I know John had several B-25's that he bought and sold without bringing them to San Marcos, but I never saw a photo of this one, or heard about it, or saw it in San Marcos. I was always at the airport in '87 as I was the Wing Leader for the CenTex Wing at the time. I'd appreciate more info on her, if she was indeed John's.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:28 am 

VL, post WW2...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:56 pm 

Thank you for posting the photos. I find the history and unique features of the individual birds fantastic .............

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:42 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

k5083 wrote:
While reading the recent thread on the most authentic B-25, it struck me that B-25s seem to change names and appearances more often and more radically than a lot of other types. I got to looking at the old photo files and realized I haven't done one a big photo post in a while, so thought I'd share some. Here is a look at some B-25s from the past. As with my other photo posts, these pics were taken by me and my friend Dick Kamm. To keep the size of the post reasonable, I'm limiting this to flyers; no static display B-25s. All of these pics are from before 1995. In serial number order:

26. Photographed at Flying Tiger in 1977, Junior Burchinal's famous Ruptured Duck, 44-86698. More recently, the very realistic looking Sunday Punch in California.

27. But, a bit of a mystery; on the same day in 1977, also at Flying Tiger, was another Ruptured Duck, this one looking decidedly more ruptured. Anyone have an ID for this one?

Hope you've enjoyed these.

August

Sorry for dragging up this piece from the past, but sometimes it makes more sense to bring an old thread back to life for continuity.

Anyway. I don't know all that much about the civilian B-25s but while looking at something different I came across some photos that made me remember this thread, and in particular August's mystery B-25s.
I guess my question is as simple as; do we know for a fact that N543VT (which became "Sunday Punch") is the example in photo #26? The reason I ask this is because I recently found this photo on Budd Davisson's website regarding his B-25 rating.

Budd Davisson type rating article:
http://www.airbum.com/pireps/PirepB-25.html

And another photo in a thread here on WIX (photo by Budd Davisson):

All throughout the article we read about the 25 he flies being N543VT, and the photos above and in the article goes as far as to confirm this. Yet those photos show a B-25 that looks like the Mitchell in August's photo #27 down to the astrodome and antennas. Which then lead me to the obvious question, being that if N543VT is actually the sorry looking B-25 in Paris that day, which one is the other..?

T J

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:11 pm 

T J Here are the B-25 Pictures I have hope this helps.
https://plus.google.com/photos/115457112661997713943/albums/5517627631540947489

Mark Fidler

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:28 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Since this post got bumped......

Nut Tree airport, CA, 2015

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:17 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

More than I anticipated. Thanks a lot for breaking out the B-25 photos Mark.

You don't by any chance have an original that clearly shows what is written on the fuselage below the hatch in front of the insignia (just to the rear of the engine in this photo)? Could it be an N# which says N3698G?
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-LiQL ... /59602.JPG
I'm just wondering if this airplane could actually be 44-29507 N3698G which later became N320SQ and PH-XXV...

I do note that the owner after Burchinal was Reyline Aviation of Kissimmee, FL. A quick google search shows that this company had some connection to Tom Reilly, the restorer. Does anyone here at WIX know him, and could ask if he remembers this 25?

T J

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:43 pm 

This is N543VT. His Museum was also called Flying Tigers Museum no relation to Tom Rilley the restorer the photo was taken in 1977.

Mark Fidler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

In one of my books it states the final USAF B-25 was a staff transport in 1959 and not a TB-25N trainer which were retired in January of that year.

Anyone have photos of a CB or VB-25 in 1959?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next