Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:52 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Who would win and why? No real rules for this contest, it's just for fun and for learning what makes an authentic B-25. I haven't done the research, but I'll start off with some ideas and I bet some WIXers associated with these birds may chime in:

B-25B: Thinking of the RB-25D conversion at NMUSAF. Love the airplane but it's really not a "B", nor is it a "D" any longer. I do suspect, however, that this airplane is full of neat authenticity.

Actually, it's hard to compete for "Best B-25A, B, C, D, G, or H" because so few exist .... there's not much competition.

B-25J: These come to mind in no particular order: Betty's Dream, Briefing Time, Apache Princess, How Boot That? Lynn Hunt's project?

TB-25N: Any of these around, flying or static that are 1958 time capsules? I wonder what the insides of the B-25 perched outside the airport at KMKE looks like? Or the one formerly perched at Reese AFB (before it was converted for the Nimitz Museum)?

Speaking of time capsules, which airframe would earn Most Authentic because it wasn't touched vs. which is Most Authentic due to restoration efforts?

B-25 paparazzi, take over!

Ken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The coolest fact on the NMUSAF's B-25 is that it was flown to the museum by Doolittle, Cole, and other crewmembers of crew #1.

I think my top 5 would be:

1) NMUSAF Doolitle B-25
2) Briefing Time
3) Betty's Dream
4) Wild Cargo
5) Show Me

This is by no means knocking any of the other B-25 museums or operators. To be honest all of the ones at the Doolittle Reunion will always hold a special place for me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:11 pm 

Finding a B-25 with an accurate historical finish, without a modern pinup and chrome everywhere is probably not an easy task.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think Heavenly Body deserves a spot in that list somewhere. Never saw her in person but I've seen many pictures of her interior.

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:16 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I haven't been in enough of them to even fathom a guess but I can bet once Paul Allen's is finished we'll have a winner.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:30 pm 

Just my two cents.

Heavenly Body, which I have gone through many times, has to be on the list.

Paul Allen’s, which I have also seen, if completed as originally intended will be THE most authentic of them all. Also when considering “authentic” you must consider the post WWII Hayes mods.

Dan

PS: I guess we know who has the most authentic PBJ.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well shoot Dan, it already is the most authentic PBJ. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:55 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

How Boot That? Hands down...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:16 pm 

"...but I can bet once Paul Allen's is finished we'll have a winner."

Sure.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:11 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

With respect, the NMUSAF's B-25 should go directly to the bottom of any list of B-25s ranked by authenticity. Personally I do not consider the fact that it was flown to the museum by Doolittle et al. cool or even interesting, but regardless, it has no bearing on the plane's authenticity.

We've been discussing Briefing Time on the other thread. I recall when BT appeared at Oshkosh in 1980, it drew a crowd and a lot of attention with the consensus that it raised the bar for B-25 restorations. It should have been a contender for grand champ that year; don't know whether it actually was in the running. The other B-25 that was trumpeted as setting a new standard of authenticity at about that time was Executive Sweet; however, much of that trumpeting was by Air Classics so perhaps should have been discounted.

Nowadays I suppose BT has been surpassed, and of course the revelation that the neutral gray should be natural metal would be a deal breaker for the paint scheme buffs. Too bad; in 1980, that was almost the only warbird painted in accurate shades of olive drab and neutral gray.

I've been impressed by the Collings and Weeks B-25s and, a little less so but still substantially, by Panchito, How Boot That, and Miss Mitchell. Haven't had a look at Lewis'. Right off the top, those would be the outstanding B-25s that occur to me.

I would have preferred that Proud Mary, now Miss Hap, be left in Hap Arnold VIP transport configuration, and that Yankee Warrior be kept in the RCAF transport configuration that Glenn Lamont had her in. But I understand the motivation to convert back to bombers.

August

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:19 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Miss HAP is my fav. Because she is an early version.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:24 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Miss Mitchell

Authentic:
Paint scheme (documented)
Nose art (documented and painted by original artist)
Correct Bendix turret
Correct armament
Cabin heaters removed

Non-authentic:
Hayes modified engine nacelles
16G pilot seats
Modern radio antennas
Modern flight instruments

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

August, You don't feel that the fact that Doolittle and gang flew the plane at all cool? It is the closest to a Doolittle Raider as you are going to get unless someone restores the B in storage as a Doolitle raider. You mention the Collings Foundation B-25, which is also one that I enjoy, and spent many hours with. But it is not correct either.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:48 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I vote Yellow Rose for several reasons:

1. I get to see her in the air, and up close and personal in hangars, often, and this has been going on for years and years and years. And that's a pretty good reason right there.

2. Every time I walk up to her, the nose compartment looks so authentic with equipment and guns and ammo belts and crap all over. Just a wonderful overall effect. She really exudes the war weary, battle hardened veteran look with grace and elegance.

3. The paint job and markings make her instantly recognizable in any busy airshow. Who needs a tramp stamp?

4. She's a true modern-day warrior. Maybe it'd be interesting to see which B-25's have the most "airshow missions" racked up to date? Bet old Rose would be right on up there, if not at the very top.

PIC, Ford 6600 pulling Rhino batwing up and down the runway

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:50 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

NEAM's B-25H "Dog Daize". Totally original inside. all racks, ammo chutes, shell discharge chute and spring loaded doors, life raft compartment etc.
Never civilianized.
Jerry