Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:54 am 

Hi, I am new here and a great admirer of the REPUBLIC and so-on photo-thread of *armyjunk2*, and I think it's not easy to thank him enough for the great job he did by that. But I found out some of the picture labels are not correct.

Of course, this is not a PBY, but a captured Japanese Aichi E16A "Zuiun" of "Paul":

This is not a Boeing B-12, it's a B-9:

The flying boat is an Ireland N-2B, not an Ireland P-1:

Also this one is not an Ireland P-1, it is a P-2:

The next is not a Loening Kitten, but a Naval Aircraft Factory SA-2:

Further, the two following ones also show no Loening Kitten, but the Loening Duckling I:

Identification of the last 5 pictures according to aerofiles.com. Sorry for being pedantic.

There are some aircraft too which I could not identify at all. I am going to ask these in another thread.

Regards, RT

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:50 pm 

I'm new here too but feel i should be bold and point out that armyjunk has stated a few times his field of expertise is elsewhere, not in what he is sharing with us - bless him - and i think its just not worth pointing out any errors to risk appearing ungrateful - there are heaps worse things passed off as gold on the net ...
try as i might i haven't find anything quite like it - his thread excels in so many aspects; history, art, social studies & etc., etc.
maybe you could put me on to something that compares?
steven

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:07 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Corrections are always welcomed on this forum. Thanks :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Indeed! corrections are welcomed, what we have here are some corrections to some mis identified photos, quite possibly, in the case of the early stuff, because of what is written on the back of that particular photo, so they are not misleading, mearely previously mis identified. And I'd say that a dozen or so 'oops' amongst what AJ has given us is a small issue for so harsh a disclaimer. :wink: :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

ArmyJunk's been great at adapting constructive feedback and made corrections to what is a major undertaking. None of us would want the material in his great contribution to be compromised by inadvertent inaccuracies - and no-one's feelings should be hurt by politely offered factual corrections. As has been said, AJ's made no claim as to being an expert in the field - and even if he were, these are easy to get wrong and tough to id - I reckon I'm reasonably good on types, but I'd have to check all of those to be sure.

I suspect any offence cause is to do with mis-reading the post from someone who I'm presuming isn't a native English speaker - as he's posting from Germany. Note he's said: "...I think it's not easy to thank him enough for the great job he did by that. But I found out some of the picture labels are not correct." Polite, accurate, IMHO.

Regards,

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:25 am 
Account Suspended

Most definately polite!

Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:30 am 

firstly - sorry if i have offended anyone, especially RT but the community at large.
- i do appreciate correctness* and respect his contribution towards that;
( i hadn't noticed anything being wrong because i was only looking at the pictures - and probably wouldn't have known anyway; RT's knowledge is far, far greater )
and i am as grateful to this site for facilitating this thread as i am to AJ for sharing it.
its not my place to take offence on AJ's behalf - i had not presumed to do that - so what was it all about?
- withdrawals.
- no substitutes. (been looking and am afraid this is unique)
- just not a morning person & should not post pre-pm.
again, i'm sorry
steven
(* language-nazi-ism and P.C.-ness the first exceptions that spring to mind)