Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

"Old British bomber" used in Afghan survey?

Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:14 am

I read an article in the New York Times online this morning about recent mineral surveys being done in Afghanistan and this interesting tidbit came up:

Armed with the old Russian charts, the United States Geological Survey began a series of aerial surveys of Afghanistan’s mineral resources in 2006, using advanced gravity and magnetic measuring equipment attached to an old Navy Orion P-3 aircraft that flew over about 70 percent of the country.

The data from those flights was so promising that in 2007, the geologists returned for an even more sophisticated study, using an old British bomber equipped with instruments that offered a three-dimensional profile of mineral deposits below the earth’s surface.

What type of "bomber" would this be?

Re: "Old British bomber" used in Afghan survey?

Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:36 am

I believe the group that did the surveying uses a Canberra with special geological scanning equipment.

Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:03 pm

TAdan wrote:I believe the group that did the surveying uses a Canberra with special geological scanning equipment.

I'm guessing it this company....as they use two ex-RAF/MOD Canberra's.....??

http://airplatforms.com/about

Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:23 pm

My friend and forum moderator flew on this missions in Afghanistan in that time. He was Canberra crew member. He is on vacation now, I can forward him this subject and hope that he could provide more info. I have from this missions few aerial images but this is standard images.

Cheers :)

Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:55 am

The "Canberra" that was used in these surveys was one of NASA's WB-57s. These aircraft (and the Afghan missions) were in Combat Aircraft Monthly's issue Vol 11 No. 5.

WB-57 — NASA’s Eyes on High
A detailed study of the NASA WB-57s discovers that the fleet may be increased and also reports on their recent work in Afghanistan. T. E. Bell gives the latest details on these charismatic high-altitude research aircraft
Post a reply