Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: Swamp Ghost arrives in U.S.

Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:30 am

Good for you guys! That must have been something to see in person.OK now back to work getting Black Cat Pass B-17 on the mountain. :lol:

Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:43 am

It looks good considering where its been sitting all these years.

Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:46 am

whistlingdeathcorsairs wrote:We just had the Corsairs over Connecticut 2010 event with some wonderful shots of me in period corsair gear in corsair cockpits. Something that hasin't happened since the 40's.

It has happened a lot. I've seen it at Oshkosh more than once. It was tried at the Arlington airshow in Washington several years ago. If you dig through the CAF Corsair website there used to be pictures of Chris Avery flying the Corsair wearing that stuff.

I'm glad to see Swamp Ghost finally in the US. I hope she gets under restoration and in the air soon but even if she doesn't, I'm glad she'll be on display.

Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:04 am

Brad wrote:
whistlingdeathcorsairs wrote:We just had the Corsairs over Connecticut 2010 event with some wonderful shots of me in period corsair gear in corsair cockpits. Something that hasin't happened since the 40's.

It has happened a lot. I've seen it at Oshkosh more than once. It was tried at the Arlington airshow in Washington several years ago. If you dig through the CAF Corsair website there used to be pictures of Chris Avery flying the Corsair wearing that stuff.

I'm glad to see Swamp Ghost finally in the US. I hope she gets under restoration and in the air soon but even if she doesn't, I'm glad she'll be on display.

NO it has not happened in Connecticut at the original Chance-vought plant in Statford, CT. I should have specified. The Corsair's true home, CT not Oshkosh or Arlington.

Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:08 am

Any word at the press conference of what is next for Swamp Ghost? (Headed to Pima I presume). Preservation, static, flying?

I am glad a few Wixer's got to go see it. Credit goes to Scott at Aerovintage for posting it on his site first. :wink:

Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:28 am

Ok..

So who owns her? What are the plans? Flying? Static?

Is she privately owned?

NMUSAF?

Somebody spent a lot of capital getting her here. I may have missed these details somewhere....

Looks pretty good so far. What kind of shape are the wings in? Corrosion?

Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:49 am

Neither ownership nor future display plans were made clear at the presentation. It was stated that the plan was to restore to flight, but there was no timeline given. I don't recall the word "Pima" being uttered by any of the speakers.

Really I think this was about publicising the aircraft's recovery, return to the US and to honor Dave Tallichet and the original crew members.

Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:51 pm

bdk wrote:Neither ownership nor future display plans were made clear at the presentation. It was stated that the plan was to restore to flight, but there was no timeline given. I don't recall the word "Pima" being uttered by any of the speakers.

Really I think this was about publicising the aircraft's recovery, return to the US and to honor Dave Tallichet and the original crew members.

All the way around, a great job!

Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:15 pm

What a relief - I can finally exhale (I should have listened to everybody who said "Don't hold your breath until it gets back to the U.S.")!

It would be great if they could make a few museum stops to show it off on the way to Pima - like at Chino and Palm Springs... could help bring in some funds for the restoration :D

Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:47 pm

Hmm would be neat to see it flying again but you will lose alot of originality and history if done so.. Would be better properly restored conserved for all to appreciate.

Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:54 pm

Due to the amount of corrosion(steel bolts thru aluminum tubing) in the wings I would say she will be a static but a darn good one.Trade it to the AF for a gate guard B-17 and get on with restoring that one to fly.Lots cheaper.JMO

Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:40 pm

Great pictures. Thanks for posting them. It will be interesting to see what the restoration/preservation plan is going to be. Personally, I don't know how I'd like to see it restored - pristine or as it landed in the swamp. I'd rather not see it become a flyer though. A nice setting in a museum with displays describing her history would be nice...

Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:42 pm

TriangleP wrote:Mr. Brandon Kalicki, aka bdk.
That photo ought to scare the kids all right! Attention bill collectors, please use the spelling of the last name above when filing court papers! :wink:

And your photos are at least as good as mine if not better!

BTW, the forward fuselage on the trailer was spotted in the POF parking lot this morning so it has already left Long Beach. No idea how long it will be in Chino.

Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:47 pm

I have one simple request to who ever restores it, wether it be a flyer or static.

NO CHEESY NOSE ART!!!!!!! NO CUTESY NAMES!!!!! :evil:

Thank you! :D

Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:48 pm

Jesse C. wrote:I have one simple request to who ever restores it, wether it be a flyer or static.

NO CHEESY NOSE ART!!!!!!! NO CUTESY NAMES!!!!! :evil:

Thank you! :D

I second that motion. That would be awesome, though from a "branding" point of view, that kind of thing does lend itself to folks buying stuff to support it.

Ryan
Post a reply