Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:43 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

:shock:

I wrote a letter to Gene Kranz a few weeks ago and I found a letter back from him today. I asked about his time with the F-86 and his thoughts on the retirement of the space shuttles. I did not ask for any signiture but he sent me two signed photos. One is of him beside his F-86, the other smoking a cigar sitting at his chair at mission control! :mrgreen: "He states it is a big mistake retiring the space shuttle as that will end the space program for many years. Also I asked him about what his thoughts were on private space exploration such as Burt Rutan. Kranz wrote, "Burt Rutan when asked about private space exploration thinks its a mistake". hmmm :?:

Anyway I don't mean to brag. :( Just that nothing ever really cool happens to me so this letter from him made my day.

I feel very sorry for those early space pioneers such as Gene Kranz who worked and sacrificed so much for this country now that our new generation is tossing it all out the door. :evil: I am sure someday we will be back in space. But our pioneer space men are aging and will pass someday. I hate to think about them leaving while our space program was off line. :(

Cheers,
Nate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Nathan I am glad that he wrote you back. He was very nice to me, and sent me a signed copy of the Apollo Mission Control flight plan cover, adn that same pic of the cigar taken after the splash down of Apollo 13. He is a very great guy, and it is such an honor to interact with him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:14 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

mustangdriver wrote:
Nathan I am glad that he wrote you back. He was very nice to me, and sent me a signed copy of the Apollo Mission Control flight plan cover, adn that same pic of the cigar taken after the splash down of Apollo 13. He is a very great guy, and it is such an honor to interact with him.

Thanks Chris. :) It is indeed a special moment for me. Kranz never went into space but I look at him as equal to those that did. He seen it all and was a great leader! :D

Any word on Lock Haven bud? 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:18 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Back when we took the Yellow Rose to the Doolittle 50th party, inside the packet that they gave us was a program with a letter from the Gen. and at the top was his address. I told Jack Hart to send some pictures and a letter to that address and about 2 weeks later he received a letter back and with a signed Yellow Rose picture.
Its good that some of the old crowd is still around....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:52 am 

Good for you Nathan. Enjoy it. I remember those Apollo days with Gene Kranz. He was one of those guys that you want on your team.

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:36 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

S'funny...
I met Gene Kranz a couple of months ago at a charity event and I teased him about to heck with the space stories, I wanted to hear about Korea and the F-86s. He just smiled and went back into the ballroom.

He is one of the most inspirational people I have ever met.

SPANNER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:41 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Gene Kranz is a class act any way you slice him. But so are 99.9% of those guys from that era -- Mercury thru Apollo .... and beyond....

I hate Starbucks with a purple passion, but was sitting in one near NASA one evening with a date when in walks the "other Gene" -- Gene Cernan. I recognized him instantly, and did my clumsy best to let him know it while trying not to look like a fawning drooling idiot. He sat down with us, and let on that it made his day any time somebody on the street knew who he was .... not for personal glory, but on behalf of the space program. I became an even bigger fan on the spot, learned a lot about him since, and can say now what I would've said right then: what a prince of a guy, talk about a class act! I couldn't care less about Hollywood actors and such; now THERE'S my idea of a celebrity! 8)

(A week later we were back, and in walked Kay Bailey Hutchinson. Boy, you can't believe how tiny she is!)

Frank Borman went to our church when I was a kid, and I still remember talking to him in the vestry hall after Sunday services shortly after Apollo 8. I was nine at the time, and wanted so badly to ask "what was it like?" but knew it was an unanswerable question he was most likely utterly sick of hearing, so I resisted .... and have been proud of myself ever since for it. I remember him as a cool grownup that I always enjoyed talking to.

Ed White's daughters and my older sisters were "running buddies" in El Lago, where I was born in 1959. I still remember the trauma of Apollo 1 as a family tragedy event in our house. Too young to know much, I can recall thinking their mother was pretty, and continue to be haunted somewhat by what became of her.

In 2001 or thereabouts I went inside NASA JSC with a cabinet shop owner friend who did several jobs there, all of which have stories of their own to tell, and were driven in post-911 style by security nazis in a van. Before 911, you just drove in yourself in your own car .... dang, that seems like a million years ago all of a sudden. Anyway, they were chattering authoritatively to enlighten us knaves, and as we passed Rocket Park informed us that "Apollo 1 was the first moon landing". Yeah, this lowly woodworker corrected the white shirts in no uncertain terms that day.

I could go on................ :roll:

PIC, Ford 6600 pulling Rhino batwing up and down the runway

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:52 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Some great stuff in this thread.

I've written about this previously but... it sickens me that this country is on the doorstep of throwing away our manned spaceflight program. Our nation has been the leader in space since 1968 and we are about to throw it all away. We've done it before with Apollo. All that work and six missions to the lunar surface and we simply quit. 100 billion dollars has been spent on the space station and we are basically giving it to the Russians. Our astronauts will able to get to it for the price of 50 million dollars a ticket to ride on a Soyuz capsule/rocket. This is a national embarrassment. We should have built a "next generation Shuttle" and never did it and now we are about to retire the most amazing vehicle ever developed for space travel...with nothing to replace it with. We spent an enormous amount of money and research developing the Constellation program only to have our government cancel it. Our aerospace industries and research and development will suffer horribly and may never recover from this. Our manned space program is a national treasure. It inspires our young people to higher education. When our flight-suited astronauts visit schools, the kids go crazy. Those days are about to end. Our children and grandchildren will never forgive us for this. Just my opinion...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree 110%