Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:31 pm 

Photos taken today w/gear doors on. The tail wheel is being replaced/repaired (flat).
bill word

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:19 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

(NOT AUTHENTIC :!: :!: )No flap indicator on left side :P :P
Bee-e-a-utiful none the less :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:35 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

steve dickey wrote:
No flap indicator on left side

Ugh! Haul it out and leave it in the weeds. No, seriously, can you tell more about the flap indicator? Very little time around Mustangs here.....

PIC, Ford 6600 pulling Rhino batwing up and down the runway

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:35 am 

Why it is so hard, on US warbirds, to have natural aluminium aircrafts being let....... natural aluminium ?
This way, with this overglossy grey paint, even the most authentic P-51 looks like a modern fiberglass replica.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:32 pm 

ChrisDNT wrote:
Why it is so hard, on US warbirds, to have natural aluminium aircrafts being let....... natural aluminium ?
This way, with this overglossy grey paint, even the most authentic P-51 looks like a modern fiberglass replica.

On airworthy aircraft I think it comes down to maintenance; natural aluminum has no protection on it and thus needs to be regularly polished etc. to keep it free of corrosion. A good glossy paint finish on the other hand protects the metal and resists weather, mechanical wear from boots etc., as well as fuel and other fluid spills, not to mention acid rain. So guys like Paul Allen who have the resources can afford to keep bare metal finishes properly maintained, while for other operators I think it makes more sense to have a nice paint job that emulates a factory finish, and sink the freed up funds into other things like fuel, tires, spark plugs, yearly checks, hangar fees etc. etc. etc.

As far as this restoration is concerned, check out the restoration archive and you'll note that the source components for this project were in most cases far from pristine:

http://www.pimaair.org/project.php?rid=8

Trying to make aluminum parts that have lots of rash or damage on them look perfect enough for a bare metal finish takes a lot of time and in a lot of cases means original parts being tossed in favor of new-build ones. It also takes a very special skill set to make trashed parts look new again, and that isn't cheap. A thin skim of bondo shaped properly can re-contour a mostly re-shaped part so that it looks good, and can be accomplished by those who may not have highly-developed sheet-metal skills.

I think the end result on this Mustang speaks volumes for the abilities of the folks involved, as it looks amazing. Well done Pima!

hope that helps

greg v.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:44 pm 

Gregv's explanation is is right on the money. We would have much preferred to have a proper bare metal fusalage on the plane but in the interests of putting as much original material as possible into the plane we had to use a lot of parts that required "persuasion" to fit where they were needed. The radiator scoop, outer wings, and most of the tail in particular needed a lot of work and just could not be left unpainted.

James

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:25 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Pogo wrote:
steve dickey wrote:
No flap indicator on left side

Ugh! Haul it out and leave it in the weeds. No, seriously, can you tell more about the flap indicator? Very little time around Mustangs here.....

Sure, on the left hand side about two feet out or so from the wing root was a painted on flap indicator. A white panel with three black stripes and black number indicators, in the bare polished area top of flap. When the flaps are selected down their position degrees can be seen by the pilot. Simple way to indicate flaps without cluttering the instrument panel or elsewhere in the cockpit.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:01 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I noticed the cowl pieces from N35FF. What is the current status on "Risky Business" at present?

T J

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:21 pm 

i also noticed the "risky business" panel in the restoration history pix...can anyone out there advise? seems like that plane has been under restoration for some time...and the owner recently sold his sea fury...i hope that was an extra panel and that risky is still being worked on and will fly again some day!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:28 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

eallen wrote:
i also noticed the "risky business" panel in the restoration history pix...can anyone out there advise? seems like that plane has been under restoration for some time...and the owner recently sold his sea fury...i hope that was an extra panel and that risky is still being worked on and will fly again some day!

I believe that Rheinschild just sold them part of the cowl. Last I heard, "Risky" was still in the shop being converted to TF. It will fly again, but never as a racer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:29 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Went to the museum Friday and saw it. Great job guys! Also saw Gary's Pby which my uncle was a crewmember on. Last time I was at Pima was with my uncle in 1986 going to the Airsho to hang out with the Pby.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:35 pm 

warbird1 wrote:
eallen wrote:

I believe that Rheinschild just sold them part of the cowl. Last I heard, "Risky" was still in the shop being converted to TF. It will fly again, but never as a racer.

thanks for the info! good to know! love that plane! and i am OK with it being converted and not racing...OK maybe in the bronze or silver???

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:06 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

My pet peeves:
Painted green inner gear doors - factory originally had silver paint or bare metal
Flap gap seal painted - originally had stainless steel, no paint required
Primer paint on spar area was usually yellow & green for various pieces / green tone seems dark
Wing tip welds ground away & bondo filled - tips were 2 piece & welds were left in place from factory
& PALEEEZE.....still a very-very nice piece of work! They should be very proud!
VL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:37 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

What Vlado said..........
Quote:
My pet peeves:
Painted green inner gear doors - factory originally had silver paint or bare metal

What I said............
Quote:
OMG don't let Vlado see those green inner gear doors

:shock: 8) 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:57 pm 

You know if we didn't leave a few nits for you guys to pick y'all would just get all depressed and go off and sulk in the corner. :) :P

James